I really don't want to be making this pattern CAL

dilyca2006

I don't know if anyone has ever done a CAL for something like this.

I am in the midst of a Graph Ghan that I really don't want to be making.

My husband has a football friend who he thinks needs an Ohio State afghan. I got the graph for it and have started. I put it up while doing the 2008 Games and really don't want to pick it up and do it again.

I am really struggling with this afghan.. soo... I thought that if there are others out there that are in the same boat (struggling making something they really don't want to be) that maybe we can work on them together.:hook

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hee...hee...I've got SEVERAL partial projects going on that I've been putting off finishing...I'll join you! :lol

Let me see....a sweater...gloves...hat...(well, I won't really mind finishing the hat), but I'm having a doosey of a time finishing those gloves and sweater! I'm afraid I'm going to have to frog the sweater and start over. :(

They are both for me and I really need them for this winter...so I must press on!

I know there other projects stashed away so long ago I've forgotten what they are. :blush( I know where the pile is though. :D)

Okay...I've decided to pick up that sweater I started. I know where the project bag and pattern are. So today I'll look at it and decide how best to fix it. I think I remember that the dye lots didn't match and part of the sweater was a slightly different color. Not even sure if it IS fixable now that I think about it....:think

Hope you can fix it. It is hard when you want something the same and dye lots are different. I made a shawl a while back that there was a slight difference. I don't know if any one but me was able to see it though.

I am going to pick up the afghan again this evening (hopefully) and try to get a row or two done. One of the things I dislike about this one is that right now I have almost 60 balls of yarn so that I can switch out colors. They are all tangled up and my DH will not help. He is going to tuck ends though.

Okay...I've decided to pick up that sweater I started. I know where the project bag and pattern are. So today I'll look at it and decide how best to fix it. I think I remember that the dye lots didn't match and part of the sweater was a slightly different color. Not even sure if it IS fixable now that I think about it....:think

hmmm, since my pattern that is taking forever doesn't have a specified number of rows, but rather "pineapples", this might be the CAL to get it done. It's a skirt I invented, and am now re-inventing so that I can offer it in two adjustable sizes. one for s-m-l and one for l-1x-2x (yes, it has the elastic waist thing going on) :)

If I ever get it done...that would be good. It should NOT be taking this long, but it keeps going off to hide in a corner. I've warned it that it might become a UFO, but I don't know that it listened all that well. :P

Maybe you can post when you get sections or however it is it is coming together don. I would like to see it when it is done!!!!!

hmmm, since my pattern that is taking forever doesn't have a specified number of rows, but rather "pineapples", this might be the CAL to get it done. It's a skirt I invented, and am now re-inventing so that I can offer it in two adjustable sizes. one for s-m-l and one for l-1x-2x (yes, it has the elastic waist thing going on) :)

If I ever get it done...that would be good. It should NOT be taking this long, but it keeps going off to hide in a corner. I've warned it that it might become a UFO, but I don't know that it listened all that well. :P

I've decided to finish my scrapghan first and foremost. About another 10-12 small balls ought to do it. Might be able to polish it off by this weekend.

Then I'll have a look at that sweater. I have an idea to frog it and make it multi-purple instead of just the one purple with mis-matched dye-lots. It is homespun by the way. I'll post the link to the free pattern later.

Diane, Sounds like a complicated graph,, I'd love to see your progress. Are you doing sc or tunsian ??? If it's very complicated two rows is alot.

I'm doing a spiral afghan now so I'll play along,, It was way fun at first but now,,,, just pluggin' along here's what I'm doing in greens though.

Tia,, on your blog you had been working on a baby afghan,,doing a puff stitch,, From Feb. I think ,,,what happened to that???

:embar ummm...shuffle...nobody was supposed to notice that :P.

Ha..ha...well....it's still around somewhere. :lol I kind of took a hiatus from crocheting for a few months and just picked it back up about a week ago.

I've got that and several other wips I abandoned. I'm sure I'll get back to it sometime. It WAS coming along nicely wasn't it?

I'm doing the Elmer stitch. I think it is just an extended single chain and it is very complicated. I will get a pic posted in a day or two..

I got 2 more rows done on it tonight. When I put it up for the 2008 Games the yarn got really tangled and I think I am going to have to cut some yarn.:eek

Diane, Sounds like a complicated graph,, I'd love to see your progress. Are you doing sc or tunsian ??? If it's very complicated two rows is alot.

I'm doing a spiral afghan now so I'll play along,, It was way fun at first but now,,,, just pluggin' along here's what I'm doing in greens though.

Tia,, on your blog you had been working on a baby afghan,,doing a puff stitch,, From Feb. I think ,,,what happened to that???

I'd like to join in if I could...

I have a Hackel - bootie bag I'm DESPERATELY trying to finish - a RR for my cousin's baby that somehow has knocked the steam out of me - But thats NOTHING......they'll be done this week

I have an *afghan* that I started making for my dad around this time LAST YEAR that was supposed to be a Christmas present....

Christmas came and went and I told him I would do it for his birthday...

Well, his birthday came and went...

Here it is...

th_ABirthdayStuff090.jpgClickie

It's the DANG eight sided thingy thats killing me....I had to make up a filler square that i've long since forgotten what I did so i'm gonna have to make it up all over again...my graph that I made for it has it getting MUCH bigger than it is now

*sigh*

WElcome, welcome.

It is a beautiful afghan so far!!! Maybe together we can get these things done by Christmas!!!LOL

I'd like to join in if I could...

I have a Hackel - bootie bag I'm DESPERATELY trying to finish - a RR for my cousin's baby that somehow has knocked the steam out of me - But thats NOTHING......they'll be done this week

I have an *afghan* that I started making for my dad around this time LAST YEAR that was supposed to be a Christmas present....

Christmas came and went and I told him I would do it for his birthday...

Well, his birthday came and went...

Here it is...

th_ABirthdayStuff090.jpgClickie

It's the DANG eight sided thingy thats killing me....I had to make up a filler square that i've long since forgotten what I did so i'm gonna have to make it up all over again...my graph that I made for it has it getting MUCH bigger than it is now

*sigh*

Here's my progress,,,

:crocheting I go to sleep,,pesky.

Diane,that's going to be a beauty,,, there was a conversation in the help section last year about to cut down on the tangles.,,, I'll try to find it.

Never heard of Elmer stitch.

EEE_Mom,,, That's so beautiful,, You're brave!! I would never sew all those together.

Tia-- haha You're not the only one with a bag or 3 of those projects, There's a Cal for those but I try to avoid it :lol

:clapHave a great weekend,everyone!!!

Wow Diane, that is great! I don't think I would even attempt something like that. But then I am attempting the Cathedral Window Afghan....:hook I've misplaced that pattern for now though....:blush.

I like that. You say it isn't as difficult as it looks HMM!!!!LOL OH. If you can find that conversation on how to cut down on tangles I would totally appreciate it!!!

Here's my progress,,,

:crocheting I go to sleep,,pesky.

Diane,that's going to be a beauty,,, there was a conversation in the help section last year about to cut down on the tangles.,,, I'll try to find it.

Never heard of Elmer stitch.

EEE_Mom,,, That's so beautiful,, You're brave!! I would never sew all those together.

Tia-- haha You're not the only one with a bag or 3 of those projects, There's a Cal for those but I try to avoid it :lol

:clapHave a great weekend,everyone!!!

Thank you. Thank you. I have looked at the Cathedral Window pattern, (I think I have it) and am not sure I want to make it. It very beautiful when done though. (Well, I have never seen one in person just in pix)

Wow Diane, that is great! I don't think I would even attempt something like that. But then I am attempting the Cathedral Window Afghan....:hook I've misplaced that pattern for now though....:blush.

dilyca2006

Here's the link This isn't really what you're looking for though,,,

Here's how I did turning in the past,,,

http://www.onceuponapattern.com/custom/pullskein.html

I couldn't get to come up now hopefully later it will work.

I made these balls in a managable size instead of trying to work off the skein,,,, You'll have more ends to sew in but for me it was worth it.

Next I had a plastic box I put them in that was small enough to stay right with the afghan when that color wasn't in use but needed to stay attached. If you know it's just a little bit of yarn for the area I would just bobby pin it to the afghan out of the way.

The main thing though for keeping the tangled mess down was ,,,when you get to the end of a row, put the afghan on the box of yarn that's attached to the afghan ,,cross your arms ,,spin the box halfway around then pick the afghan back up. It makes a HUGE difference in that mess.

I didn't think of this,,someone shared with me,,,

Sometimes you really have to lay it on the floor and straighten everything out.

I feel bad for you. I know it's a pain ,,

I also know it's a great feeling to get something like this done:cheer

hope this a)makes sense at all and b) helps some

nancy

Thanks.

I have done a few graph ghans before and just used the skein in a plastic zip lock type bag.

For this one I got a yarn roller just for it. I have all this small cakes of yarn in quart size sip type bags. When there were fewer balls involved it was easier to untangle them. I do need to spend a bit of time with it on the floor and untangle. I have been untangling each ball as I need to use it. Just so many right now!!LOL It will be fine. I will get it done and the tangles are not going to make me pull out my hair!!!LOL Yea,,, right!!!!!!1

dilyca2006

Here's the link This isn't really what you're looking for though,,,

Here's how I did turning in the past,,,

http://www.onceuponapattern.com/custom/pullskein.html

I couldn't get to come up now hopefully later it will work.

I made these balls in a managable size instead of trying to work off the skein,,,, You'll have more ends to sew in but for me it was worth it.

Next I had a plastic box I put them in that was small enough to stay right with the afghan when that color wasn't in use but needed to stay attached. If you know it's just a little bit of yarn for the area I would just bobby pin it to the afghan out of the way.

The main thing though for keeping the tangled mess down was ,,,when you get to the end of a row, put the afghan on the box of yarn that's attached to the afghan ,,cross your arms ,,spin the box halfway around then pick the afghan back up. It makes a HUGE difference in that mess.

I didn't think of this,,someone shared with me,,,

Sometimes you really have to lay it on the floor and straighten everything out.

I feel bad for you. I know it's a pain ,,

I also know it's a great feeling to get something like this done:cheer

hope this a)makes sense at all and b) helps some

nancy

Oh good then,Diane!!

Nothing left to do but :box:tryme it!!!

No wonder you started this cal:lol

I would also start the count-down!! 40 more rows to go!!

keep us posted,,,:hook

I have the yarn in a big bag. But, I think that box idea would be much better!!! Going to have to hunt one up that will fit!!

I will start a count down. Good idea. (this is my first CAL that I have thought of!!!LOL) Maybe put it in my signature.

Oh good then,Diane!!

Nothing left to do but :box:tryme it!!!

No wonder you started this cal:lol

I would also start the count-down!! 40 more rows to go!!

keep us posted,,,:hook

Just need to do a few rows around to make a border, and then I'm finished with my scrapghan! It is huge!

I took a look at that Baby Afghan on my blog and started it over since I couldn't find my pattern notes. I'll be posting the pattern there as I go.

Archived