Crochet a Crinoline Lady CAL w/Pattern Links

loopy1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leanne, your ladies are lovely. :yes The ribbon and beads are perfect for Violet, and the ivory/black/red? combo for Frost will be very elegant. Can't wait to see the last one finished!

I've gone back to finishing up the nightstand doily set I was working on, finally finished (whew) and need to block them. This weekend I'll have to think about my next project...

Everybody hunker down and stay safe from the storms!

I'm here to say "Let's don't be fizzling out!"

However, I probably won't be doing much posting. But I will be crocheting on Ms Mum. I think I have the right embellishments on hand. Still need to ask son's girlfriend if she'll go with me to HL to help with the other ones.

Will be going to the LYS soon, I hope, to pick up the black/gold metallic thread I ordered through them. Maybe they can help me with my unembellished ladies.

So, when I have a FO, I will gladly post pics.

Oh, have any of you signed up for Crochet Memories newsletter? Leanne, one of your Rose Gardens is in the newsletter! And when you get a pic of the other one with the fixed hat, be sure to let us see it and send Cylinda a pic. Did I already say that? :think Anyway, go here to sign up for the newsletter. You'll get info on her new designs, a new free pattern or 2, recipes, pics of her patterns other customers have made. I love looking at 'em! And other stuff.

And Granny, you can post a pic of your doily here for us to see. We wanna see it! After all, crinoline ladies are doilies.

Yeah, I did fix her hat after a bit. It was a pain as I sewed it. I haven't took pictures of it since.

When Mark has time, I plan to get him to email some pictures to Cylinda. He works two jobs and there just hasn't been time. I can't believe she used one of my pictures! How cool is that. I haven't seen it yet. I signed up for her newsletter thing, but I don't think I have ever gotten one yet. I'll have to go check.

I am still working on my black and cream Ms Frost. But, I have took a small break due to my hands and I am also trying to finish a baby sweater. A friend of mine is having a girl and I really want to get it finished. I should have another lady done pretty soon though. Not sure which one I will do next, but I am in no way done! I want to make several for gifts and I hope to actually make myself one. :hug toeveryone!

Hey Leanne! Glad you got the hat fixed more to your liking. That's good that you take lots of breaks from crocheting and I'm happy to hear the carpal tunnel has been better. We'll all be anxious to see your color choice experiments; will give us ideas, too. I think the red, black and cream sounds great. Should be very pretty on Miss Frost. I made Miss Frost in the white with the blue like Cylinda's pattern but now I can't find the blue ribbon to match. It calls for 3/8" which seems a bit wide to me...I don't know.

Leanne, if you can post pictures here on the Ville, it's much easier to attach a pic to an email. Since I don't know which email program you use, I think they're all similar in lots of ways. You should already have the picture on your computer so make a note of where it's located. Then all you have to do is start composing the msg to Cylinda. There should be a button or something to click on to "attach" a file to the email. When you click on that you will have to go to the place where the picture is. Double click on the picture file and it should attach it to your email. If Mark has already done it, then that's great but next time you should be able to do it.:yay

I know what you mean about getting bored with afghans. I've been working on a baby blanket for the NICU babies thread here on the Ville and I just couldn't spend much time with it before I got tired of it. Although, last Christmas I made our 12yo grandson a Golden Snitch (Harry Potter) afghan in squares. Guess since it was one square at a time it wasn't so bad. Crocheting them together wasn't so bad either. Then I made our 11yo granddaughter either a 2- or 3-strand (can't remember) afghan in blues (her favorite color). Working with 2 or 3 strands and a large hook, an N, I think, goes pretty fast. Now I want to make a Texas Rangers ghan for our youngest grandson 7yo in Dallas and one for his mother, our daughter. Don't think I'll get it all done. Plus I need to make something for the 1st two grandkids' two half-brothers which are not our grandkids. Granddaughter gets upset if you leave out her two younger brothers which is good that she thinks about them like that. But I can't afford them all! Whew! And it's the middle of September already. I know what you mean about the tight money. It's so tight that I can't get it loose :lol to buy all the yarn needed for these ghans so guess I have to modify my plan a bit. :yes

Oh yeah, "kids can say the darndest things", can't they? The 7yo grandson just had his birthday and when Mom went to wake him up for school, he said that he couldn't get up at that time cause he hadn't been born yet. He had to wait until he was born which was 7:41 am to get up. :rofl

So did you see the newsletter yet? If not, click here to see it. You have to scroll down toward the bottom to "Customer Pictures and Comments" to see the scrolling pics that have been sent in to her this month. And yours is there! :yay Anytime you want to see the current newsletter, go to her home page and it's the 8th item listed on the menu.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

:hug

Wow Jeannie, you are busy with a lot of projects! I really don't have anyone to crochet gifts for (no kids or giftees that appreciate crocheted things, unfortunately). I think the reason I do mostly thread items is because it doesn't take up a lot of room and thread is a lot more economical than buying yarn. If you think about it, a good-size doily is about as much work (or crocheting pleasure :) stitch-wise) as a small afghan, but the yarn for the afghan is about 10x the cost of the thread.

If you don't mind looking at non-crinoline ladies, I finally got pics of my nightstand set. I blocked the 2 doilies together and it took a long time to dry. Here's a link to the show and tell post

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1455211&postcount=1

Now you can see where the spider stitch idea for the crinoline witch came from! :hook

Granny, the doilies are beautiful! What an amazing crocheting job you did.

You're right about a lot of people who don't appreciate crocheted things. It's hard to find things to make for people who don't crochet or knit. Although adults here in Michigan can certainly use scarfs and some wear crocheted or knitted hats. I prefer hoods or head scarfs. And wearables quite often can come out wrong and not fit. :eek

I never thought about the economy of thread vs. yarn. Interesting.

Have you looked at Cylinda's Ms Daffodil crinoline? She uses the spider stitch in that one. You looked at mine on my blog, didn't you? I did Ms Daffodil in peach with cream colored daffodils.

:hug:manyheart

Oh, and I'm not busy with a lot of projects yet. Just don't know yet what I'm gonna do.

First thing, I need to mail all my squares for the Traveling Hook II to Bonnie aka angelfire. But first I need to take some pics and separate the ones I made with the Jimbo hook.

Right now, though, I'm ready for that afternoon snooze. :yawn

Read my lips, uh post. Do we mind? Of course not! :yes :yes Yes, :yes :yes we want to see your doilies! Crinolines are also doilies and doilies are doilies, too, right? :lol So, show us those pictures of any others. Your work on the nightstand set is awesome!

If you don't mind looking at non-crinoline ladies, I finally got pics of my nightstand set. I blocked the 2 doilies together and it took a long time to dry. Here's a link to the show and tell post

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1455211&postcount=1

Now you can see where the spider stitch idea for the crinoline witch came from! :hook

Thanks, glad you like them. I love filet, but that was a big project! :whew

Yes, I did see the lovely ladies on your blog, I think Ms Daffodil and Masquerade (and all the others) on Crochetmemories, as well as my doilies all came together to inspire my crinoline lady :hook

You really did an amazing job on your crinoline, that's for sure! :clap

I enjoy filet, too. I made a wall hanging for my sister one Christmas back in the mid-80s, I think it was. It's a nativity scene and hey! I think I have a pic in my photobucket that she took for me. I never did the final finishing--the blocking, backing and rod for hanging and it seems she never did either.:lol I did send the dowel rod with it and she just hung it up as is. Says she absolutely loves it. Anyway here's a clickable thumbnail of the pic:

th_Nativity2.jpg

I also started this filet project about 2 yrs ago :blush and all that's left is the finishing work. Why don't I get it done? :think It's a clickable thumbnail, too.

th_PeaceOnEarthWallHanging.jpg

I just love seeing the images, the designs and the writing take shape in filet. I get so excited over it! :bounce:jumpyay See?

Thanks, glad you like them. I love filet, but that was a big project! :whew

Yes, I did see the lovely ladies on your blog, I think Ms Daffodil and Masquerade (and all the others) on Crochetmemories, as well as my doilies all came together to inspire my crinoline lady :hook

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.................don't want it to fall behind too much. I have been sidetracked with some medical issues and a baby set for a friend. But, I will be back to my crinolines soon!:hug

Leanne, hope all is well with you.

I wandered off to the doily CAL for a bit and just finished another Hiddleson vintage pattern. Now, DH has 'commissioned' me to make a gag gift for his brother - a toy chainsaw! :think:lol It seems BIL has been trying to refurbish an old one and has been having difficulties. Not a very dainty project, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I just happen to come across this site while wandering through crochetville and I love to make these ladies,and wow what a find here:clap:clap:cheer:cheerI got a crinoline ladies booklet a few years ago and just reacently made a bedspread for my granddaughter. I made the ladies out of yarn:crocheting to make them bigger and sewed them on to quilt blocks and put them alltogether,put a backing on it and a frill around it my daughter and granddaughter just loved it,now that I found all these beautiful ladies I may have to make some more:hook

Yea I think I'll make another one for myself ,the hardest part or should I say the most teediest thing about it is the application of them on to quilt blocks. Oh yea another thing when putting them together for myself I'm going to use an old white blanket to put in side that way you dont have to do all that quilting,just tack it at the corners,or if putting a frill around the outside sew the blanket at the same time,then you don't even have to tact it

So sorry I "fizzled" out after saying let's not do that. But I think we all do some fizzling every now and then. And I'm still fizzled so probably won't be here very much (if I say that, then maybe the opposite will happen ;)).

Glad you found our thread, Diane. You sound so excited and that is great! What size hook did you use for the ladies made with yarn? Did you use worsted weight? Sounds like a whole lot of love went into that bed spread and I bet your daughter loves it. Wonder how they'd do with sport weight? I have a bunch of Sinfonia, a 100% mercerized cotton, plus some #3 and #5 threads.

Granny, glad to see you're still here.

I still have all my crinolines I need to finish. Somewhere in here I mentioned all of them--think there are 5. About to finish up the Spring Time gal but I'm having trouble tying 1/4" ribbon into 5 bows. It's hard to get them to look close to the same size.:thair Was giving me a :headache.

Got the burgundy thread for the Red and Purple gal (wish she wouldn't name them with colors). My gal is cream and burgundy. Now I gotta get burgundy 3/8" ribbon to match. DH picked some up for me but it's organza instead of 100% polyester. It's pretty but hard to tie a small bow with 3/8" ribbon in organza. I prefer 1/4" or 1/8" even in the polyester. Also, the organza is too light in color since you can see right through it.

Oh, Granny, maybe you remember that I wanted black/gold metallic #10 thread for the Spanish Crinoline. I requested it from a LYS back in September. Called today for the 2nd time (I'm patient) to check on it and the lady apologized over and over because someone was supposed to call me to tell me it's been discontinued. :( Guess I'll have to try to find the gold filament that I believe Karen suggested and crochet with the black and gold filament held together. ugh

Everyone take care and I do hope to have some pics before a year goes by. :lol

:hug

It's too bad the stores don't cary more colors, I don't even have a LYS in my area and my selection is very limited. I thought I was lucky finding orange for my witch!

I found some black and gold turkish thread on the web but it's #30, probably your best bet is the Kreinik blending filament, I saw it for $1.59 for a spool of 50 meters, not too bad but the shipping is probably several times that :( Black and gold for a spanish senorita will be gorgeous :manyheart

http://www.stitchsupplies.com/Krenik%20Metallic%20Thread%20Page/Kreinik%20Blending%20Filament.html

I used worsted weight yarn and a 4.50mm hook,:hooksport yarn works great too,:yesI made myself a set of bathroom towels,:crochetingthread or fingering yarn for the facecloths :yarn,sport yarn for the hand towels,and ww yarn for the bath towles and bath sheets:hook

Oh yea I'll post the towels tomorrow ,I can photograph them ,but I can't of the bedspread as I don't have it any more unless I can get my daughter to take one and e-mail it to me???

• 6 months later...

Archived