Crochet a Crinoline Lady CAL w/Pattern Links

loopy1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good evening everyone!! Hope everyone is well tonight. I have been on a reluctant crochet break since Saturday night...busy busy...nothing fun or exciting, mostly housework, but have to finish that to crochet guilt free :hook

Granny Square - OH MY GOSH!!! That is just about the cutest witch I've ever seen. Fantastic job!!

Leanne - Rose #2 is beautiful, your MIL is very lucky to be receiving her.

I did finish the skirt for my gal Saturday night and I have to say I am just too excited. Sooo cute this pattern is!! I did make it past the "hard row" lol and really appreciate the offer. She ain't done yet so I may yet call in that offer of help.

"nascar, I checked your profile and see that you registered almost a year ago. Girl, we gotta get you more active 'round here!:lol "

Lol Girl, I am so scared to talk to people on here. It took me days to get up the nerve to ask if I could join this CAL but I knew if I didn't join in, my gal would end up just another UFO. I did go throught the gallery of FO's and posted some oooo's and aaahhh's the other day.

I'm out in the boonies so I don't have any yarn shops within about 40 miles from me and my local Michaels and Hobby Lobby don't really have the most friendliest gals there. I asked for help one time and it got ugly. Walmart is usually my happiest place to shop.

Have a great night all,

Stacey

I live in the boonies too! Closest walmart is one hour and JoAnns is further. Join in, it's so much fun and it keeps you motivated!

Hey all, I just got my patterns in the mail today! I have started on one of them! I will post more later! I am out my daughter's house! My internet went down in the storm! We lost electricity Monday evening and it finally came back on Sunday night! So I have called my internet people and they are suppose to send a technician out here...hopefully soon! But anyways, I just wanted to let you know I am okay! P.S. Thanks for the prayers too! I will be praying for all that is in the Hurricane Ike's path!

Here is my first Crinoline Lady. She is the Rose Garden Crinoline from Crochet Memories. I loved making her and have already started on my second using the same pattern. I added a couple of rows to the bottom of the skirt because I wanted a bit more blue . The flowers are made with a golden yellow embroidery floss. It made them a bit bigger than they should have been , so I placed them a little different. Over all I am really pleased with how she turned out. She will be framed for one of my sister in laws for Christmas. Her favorite color and living room are done in blue.

th_HPIM1551.jpg

Here is the one I am making now. I am using burgundy and a sort of beige color. It's really striking together. This one will be framed for my MIL for Christmas.

th_HPIM1553.jpg

That came out beautiful! That is the same one I decided to work on too! So far it is easy! Hope it is like that all the way through! This is my very first time I have made one of these!

Been away from computer and I was supposed to let everyone know that Cheryl is okay but looks like I was too slow. So glad you're back here, Cheryl, and safe! AMEN! :yes:applause:clap:yay And so glad you got your patterns!

I'm in a dilemma with 4 of my crinolines and soon to be 5. With my partial color blindness I'm gonna have to get DS girlfriend or someone to go with me to HL to pick out embellishments. Sweetie Pie gets confounded in the store and says "I don't know what you should do!":lol I was there this afternoon and just couldn't match anything. Sometimes the clerks are really helpful but today I didn't even ask.

I have Ms Frost, Spring Time, Spanish Senorita, Red and Purple all completed except for ribbons and ribbon roses, and whatever (today I thought maybe some cute little buttons might work with some of them) and I am working on Ms Mum.

I won't be taking any pics until they are completely complete!

So I take it that it's not to late to join in??? I love working with thread. It's what I first learned how to crochet on. The yarn came much later. I've looked at all the patterns from the first post and they are all beautiful. I even went to the link posted for the last Crinoline Lady CAL. Everyone's turned out so beautiful. If it's not too late, I'll pick out a pattern and get started.

:welcomePatricia! We are very glad to have you here with us. Glad you enjoyed the pics on the last CAL. Everyone made very lovely ladies just like on here. I, too, can't wait to see what pattern you pick to start with. They are all so lovely. :hug

Laura, be careful now and don't overwork yourself with an end. :rofl :rofl I love you, Dearie, and enjoy picking on ya.:hug You and Endweaver9000! are so much fun!

Stacey, you're a great encourager and a wonderful cheerleader! Keep it up! :hug

Oh...WARNING!

I emailed the links to the pictures of completed crinolines posted here to Cylinda of Crochet Memories (CM). I just wanted her to see what we were doing. She plans to pick up a couple of them and include them in her site. If you don't want them included, either email her or let me know.

I only sent them for her to see. I didn't know she was gonna take it upon herself to post them. Although, that's quite a compliment to have your finished project posted on her site.

Granny Square, I don't know if she will post yours or not since it's not exactly one of her patterns but then again, she might. She loved it! She said "I love the girl she made up using the spider web stitch – really pretty and I love how she used black and orange throughout the project."

Now off to the TV for a Stargate SG-1 marathon of about 8 episodes from the end of season 9.

:hug

Well, I have the skirt part done..I will start working on the bodice tomorrow! I just hope I can starch it and all... I have never starched a doily before. I normally use them just as they are! The only thing I have ever starched was my Christmas ornaments and that is with the craft stiffner by Aliene! I am not sure I spelled that correctly but I got it from Wal Mart! As soon as I get my internet up and running I will be posting pics!

I got Ms Violet completed except for the embellishments. She is done in lilac and cream. Once again, I changed the edging a bit, but she is beautiful. It's the one from crochet memories ...the dress looks like 3 big upside down hearts. I will probably post pics of her tomorrow. I am deciding which pattern to do next. And the colors. So far, I have 4 of her patterns. I haven't used the patriotic pattern or Ms frost pattern yet. Decisions decisions! Can't wait to see more pics.

Loopy, I don't mind a bit if Cylinda wants my pictures. What an honor that she would think they were worthy. :hug

I'm slowly working on Ms Mum. Lots of dc in the upper part of the skirt and I get tired making doubles over and over. Maybe I'll just be like Laura and make one double per day and then have a daytime snooze. I love those, too. :rofl I'm also working on a doily with lots of doubles for granddaughter 11 almost 12.

Here's Laura. One yarn/thread end :yarn + :crocheting = :out

The thought of an end was so exhausting I had to take a nap. Mmmm I love a daytime snooze.

Granny, you are welcome. Glad you are pleased.

Thank you for passing along Cylinda's comment, that was sweet of you both! That means a lot coming from her, she has designed so many lovely things. :manyheart

Cheryl, Great going with finishing the skirt!:yay For finishing, I promise you spray starch works wonderfully! You don't need to go to the trouble of using liquid starch or craft stiffener. You don't even have to pin 'em except maybe in a few places like the center of the waist just to hold it while you stretch it out. Actually, pinning can cause pointed spots where you want it to be rounded like in the loops. Somewhere in here I wrote about finishing the crinolines. I'll find that post.

Well, I have the skirt part done..I will start working on the bodice tomorrow! I just hope I can starch it and all... I have never starched a doily before. I normally use them just as they are! The only thing I have ever starched was my Christmas ornaments and that is with the craft stiffner by Aliene! I am not sure I spelled that correctly but I got it from Wal Mart! As soon as I get my internet up and running I will be posting pics!

Leanne, Ms Violet is so pretty but one I haven't gotten around to yet. Can't wait to see more of your pics! You're :crocheting crinoline ladies like lighting! :woo Also, glad you're okay with Cylinda using your pics. And, please, you may call me Jeannie.

I got Ms Violet completed except for the embellishments. She is done in lilac and cream. Once again, I changed the edging a bit, but she is beautiful. It's the one from crochet memories ...the dress looks like 3 big upside down hearts. I will probably post pics of her tomorrow. I am deciding which pattern to do next. And the colors. So far, I have 4 of her patterns. I haven't used the patriotic pattern or Ms frost pattern yet. Decisions decisions! Can't wait to see more pics.

Loopy, I don't mind a bit if Cylinda wants my pictures. What an honor that she would think they were worthy. :hug

More Info on Blocking

and free patterns for accessories

Click here for more blocking information on Cylinda's website and here for free patterns for accessories like a closed umbrella, an open umbrella, a basket and a fan.

Actually, she told me just to spray mist mine with water and shape them. Surprisingly, it worked rather well but now I prefer the spray starch method.

Here is #3, Miss Violet. I did her in lilac and cream, with cream flowers and small purple beads glued in the center of the flowers. I changed the last round on the skirt, I did alot of picots. I like picots:hook I love how she turned out. I tried to get a closeup of the hat detail and the flower detail on the skirt. I don't know if you can see the beads well or not. She is my favorite so far, I think....maybe!

th_HPIM1568.jpg

th_HPIM1567.jpg

th_HPIM1566.jpg

Images are clickable...what do you think?

Here is #4.....Miss Frost from Crochet Memories. This is what I have so far.....done in cream and black. Not sure what the trimmings will be yet. I love the color combination so far though, very striking. I am thinking of using a shocking loud color for the flowers or whatever. What do you think? I really love the skirt on her. I am thinking about doing the bodice that is on Miss Violet instead of hers because I really like the "side" profile on violet. What do you think? Suggestions about anything? All are appreciated!!!

th_HPIM1569.jpg

clickable!

Leanne, Ms Violet looks great! I could see the beads in the close-ups. You did a fantastic job overall but I really love the beads, flowers and ribbons.

Will you please email your pic of the completed Ms Violet to Cylinda?

That's interesting what you did with Ms Frost with the cream and black. Would've never thought of switching colors at that point and that point is the perfect place to change colors.

Don't know what to suggest about the bodice and flower color. I tend to remain more subtle with these ladies rather than striking. Although one day I may go for striking with one of them, who knows? Well, come to think of it, with the black, maybe a bright color would be best. I think whatever you like will work just fine.

Oh, I wanted to suggest that about your Crinoline Lady #2, the one for MIL, that you could pull the hat off and re-position it. If you glued it on, no problem; but if you sewed it on, just be careful snipping the stitching. And if you do have to mess up to get it off, cut into the hat rather than the neck and remake it. I did that with the arms on Spanish Senorita. Got one off successfully but had to cut into the other one so I just remade it. Not a big deal.

The big advantage to the glue is you can keep positioning it until you have it like you want. The Aleene's Tacky Glue works great. I think I ended up gluing Spanish Senorita's arms back on. It was easier and it will hold.

Like I said before (I think) you're crocheting these ladies like greased lightning and doing some fantastic work! Speedy! Be careful not to get burnout!:P Glad you're enjoying it so much.

:hug

Gracie, how thoughtful of you to check back in to see about Cheryl's (Mama Crochet) well being.

Ya know, we'd love to have you join us here. Wouldn't you like to make one of your own lovely crinoline ladies? Huh? Wouldn't you? You know you want one. :P

All theCrinoline Ladies Are so pretty, Great job every one......I love seeing them.... glad to read all is well with Mama Crochet with the hurricane that went tru too....

Oh, I wanted to suggest that about your Crinoline Lady #2, the one for MIL, that you could pull the hat off and re-position it. If you glued it on, no problem; but if you sewed it on, just be careful snipping the stitching. And if you do have to mess up to get it off, cut into the hat rather than the neck and remake it. I did that with the arms on Spanish Senorita. Got one off successfully but had to cut into the other one so I just remade it. Not a big deal.

I already did that! Thanks, though I did sew that one instead of gluing it. I stared at it for a couple of days and decided that I didn't like it at all , so I took it off and redid it. The "removing " of the sewing was quite a pain, I have to agree, that's why I waited to see if the placement grew on me any, but it didn't.

I don't think I will get burned out on these patterns, they are so fun to do, but I do take lots of breaks. The "carpal tunnel" can be a pain, but lately it hasn't been too bad.

I have lots of "colored" threads, so I may end up being a little more experimental with the coloring on these. I really like seeing how different they can be. So far, the ones I have made have been because of someone else's favorite color. I have a friend I used to work with whose living room is black and cream with red accents. So, I may just do red frillies on the black and cream one with her in mind. When I started it, I was just experimenting, but I really like it.

I will have to get Mark to try to email the picture to Cylinda, I don't know how to do that, but I am sure that he does.

It's good to see that Cheryl is okay, and here comes another storm. They just keep coming. My aunt in Florida lives two blocks from the ocean, but she seems okay with it. She has lived there for 30yrs, so it's a part of her life by now. I don't think this storm is affecting her too much .

I haven't done any more work on the black and cream one yet. I have been working some on a flag throw for FIL for Christmas. I get bored with afghans so I take it out from time to time and work on it a bit. If money weren't quite so tight, I wouldn't be making quite so many gifts, but I already have yarn and thread, so that just means I have to make it. Every year I tell myself I am not going to stress myself and make so much, but I usually end up eating my own words for one reason or another.

:hugto everyone!

Everyones is coming out beautiful! I finished the all of it! I just need to add the flowers and leaves...but I don't have any green thread! So I will have to wait on that! I might start another one while I am waiting to go back to town!

The wind is starting to pick up now! I just hope that is all that we get this round! I still don't have internet...so I am here next door again! I can't wait to show you all mine! My little 3 yr. old dgd told me last night that my doily was "purty" LOL! I just gotta love her! Anyways, I need to get back to the house! Will check back later! Keeping all in prayer in the way of the storm!

Everyones is coming out beautiful! I finished the all of it! I just need to add the flowers and leaves...but I don't have any green thread! So I will have to wait on that! I might start another one while I am waiting to go back to town!

The wind is starting to pick up now! I just hope that is all that we get this round! I still don't have internet...so I am here next door again! I can't wait to show you all mine! My little 3 yr. old dgd told me last night that my doily was "purty" LOL! I just gotta love her! Anyways, I need to get back to the house! Will check back later! Keeping all in prayer in the way of the storm!

Be careful! Hope all the storm passes you by! I just LOVE the things that kids say! My little boy told me yesterday that I was the bestest cook in the world! Makes you smile so much!

Archived