Crochet a Crinoline Lady CAL w/Pattern Links

loopy1

Stacey, wahoo! :woo:yay:clap

Did you get past row 15 okay? Let me know if you need any help with it. I assume you ordered the Christmas one that's modeled in red?

Glad you found the link on my blog. I just added a new entry to my blog picturing 4 of the crinolines I've completed so far. I have several on the verge of completion and will add those when I get pictures. Hoping to get that Christmas Angel to wear her wings and halo properly. She is so troublesome! :lol Especially for a Christmas Angel! :lol

Hope the blocking info is helpful when you get around to it. :hug

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I finished the Garden Rose Girl. I did her in white, with blue flowers and trim. She is on the blocking board right now. Hopefully, I will finish a few last details in the morning and post pictures sometime tomorrow. I really enjoyed making her, and I plan on doing several. This one will probably go to one of my sister in law's for christmas. Her favorite color is blue and her living room is done in blue. I might make some of the accessories that Cylinda has on her site to add to the frames .

For now, I am staying with the same pattern because I LOVE it! Each will be different colors though. I also bought the Patriotic, but I plan on doing her with other colors and flowers instead of stars.

I may go and pilfer my thread and try to pick my colors for my second. I think they will make great christmas gifts , especially since I plan to frame them. My birthday is coming up and I already told hubby I want some more money to visit Crochet Memories....can't wait! :yes

Hello all,

Well, changed my mind...kind of. I had some red thread in my stash and I really wanted to start last night, soooo, I ordered the Christmas pattern instead. But, I still went out today and I purchased my supplies for the Halloween pattern also. So, if all goes well with this one, I will be doing 2. :hook

I've had a little trouble on row 15 of the skirt so I ripped out and I'll be redoing that after dinner. It's really fun watching it come together.

Jeannie, there's a really cool link on your blog that takes a gal right to the pattern page so I followed that to purchase my pattern. Also, thank you for the blocking info. How fantastic!!

Well, I just wanted to check in and let you know I finally got started...wahoo!!

Oh, I can't wait to see the halloween one, she is great and I also love the christmas one too! :cheer

Please remember Cheryl aka Mama_Crochet in your prayers.

They were in the path of Gustav and she hasn't posted since the 1st.

Hopefully its just because of the power being down but that's certainly not good either.

Any news from her yet? I hope everything is okay....I have family in parts of Florida and I always worry about them with these storms. It seems like there are more of them every year and they are worse every year.

:yay Leanne! Can't wait to see pics! Atta girl! Get that birthday money for crinoline patterns! Oh, when's your birthday. Gonna have to look and see if it's in your profile. :devil

I just put a new post in my blog with pics of my crinolines and two of them are Rose Gardens and I don't have either one. Gave 'em both away. Gonna have to make one for myself.

I wanna make the open umbrella for Spring Time but haven't done it yet.

I mentioned that I don't want to make the Masquerade as a witch and thought about trying fall colors...sort of a Harvest Season Girl although with the spider web pleats, maybe it won't work so good. I thought about crocheting little leaves in red, brown, yellow, orange and gold for embellishments. But I don't know what to do about the dress...a green? and what shade?

I have DMC Traditions Color 5369, Light Green, which looks putrid to me (I'm partially color blind, remember). I have Aunt Lydia's Myrtle Green and Frosty Green and South Maid Forest Green, which is really dark. Any of you have those colors? What would you recommend? Or do you think it would work at all?

Your thoughts, please.

Nothing from Cheryl yet. I'm pretty sure that whole area is still without power.

I know what you mean about this time of year. And I, too, believe the storms are getting worse and there are more of them as well. My sister and family are in Tallahassee which is pretty well protected from the severity of the storms but still they get lots of wind and rain when one comes their way. Same for my best friend who lives north of Beaumont.

It is so bad for all those areas that are susceptible to getting hurricanes. I fear we will lose New Orleans altogether if it gets another Category 4 or 5 storm.

Of course, we have Ville members everywhere but the Charleston SC and Wilmington NC areas are getting lots of wind and rain right now. Thankfully, the winds aren't too severe but still they can do damage.

Here is my first Crinoline Lady. She is the Rose Garden Crinoline from Crochet Memories. I loved making her and have already started on my second using the same pattern. I added a couple of rows to the bottom of the skirt because I wanted a bit more blue . The flowers are made with a golden yellow embroidery floss. It made them a bit bigger than they should have been , so I placed them a little different. Over all I am really pleased with how she turned out. She will be framed for one of my sister in laws for Christmas. Her favorite color and living room are done in blue.

th_HPIM1551.jpg

Here is the one I am making now. I am using burgundy and a sort of beige color. It's really striking together. This one will be framed for my MIL for Christmas.

th_HPIM1553.jpg

:yay Leanne! Can't wait to see pics! Atta girl! Get that birthday money for crinoline patterns! Oh, when's your birthday. Gonna have to look and see if it's in your profile. :devil

I just put a new post in my blog with pics of my crinolines and two of them are Rose Gardens and I don't have either one. Gave 'em both away. Gonna have to make one for myself.

I wanna make the open umbrella for Spring Time but haven't done it yet.

I mentioned that I don't want to make the Masquerade as a witch and thought about trying fall colors...sort of a Harvest Season Girl although with the spider web pleats, maybe it won't work so good. I thought about crocheting little leaves in red, brown, yellow, orange and gold for embellishments. But I don't know what to do about the dress...a green? and what shade?

I have DMC Traditions Color 5369, Light Green, which looks putrid to me (I'm partially color blind, remember). I have Aunt Lydia's Myrtle Green and Frosty Green and South Maid Forest Green, which is really dark. Any of you have those colors? What would you recommend? Or do you think it would work at all?

Your thoughts, please.

Do you have any ecru or tan? Then you could trim in one of the darker greens and do the leaves in the red, brown yellow orange etc.? I think a fall themed one would be beautiful. Myrtle green is really bright like the color of green grass in summer. Not sure what the frosty green looks like. Or the DMC one. I found a pretty beige type color at walmart. It's America's best, can't remember the name of the color but it is the one I am using with the burgundy. I can't wait to see what you come up with.:yay

Awesome Girls Leanne! I like them both. Cant wait to see the second finished.

Thanks! I can't wait to finish the second one either. I want to see how she looks! I have the patriotic pattern, and two others . (Went today and bought two more). I don't know which pattern I will try after this. I got the violet one and the frost one today. I love the frost one. I enjoy pilfering my thread and deciding on colors almost as much as making them! They go way faster than I expected.

Leanne they look beautiful!! I love seeing the pics on here. I do have another question for everyone. Where does everyone get all the different colors of thread? My Michaels and Hobby Lobby didn't have hardly anything. Does everyone order online? We've had a busy day today so I'm getting ready to pick mine back up and work on her. I'm at that "hard" row again and hoping this time it turns out okay :)

Cool idea for a CAL! I've been wanting to do these for a long time. I thought it'd be cool to do one for each holiday. I don't know if I can rationalize another WIP, though. Although I'm currently not doing anything in thread... :devil

Oh well. I'll defanitly be back to look at all your beautiful work! :clap

Leanne, "Rose" is beautiful, I love the color combination! And Jeannie, so is your Sweet Pea and the others on your blog. :clap

I didn't mean to disappear for a week, things were really crazy at work and I didn't have energy for much else. I did work on mine yesterday, and just finished and put her on the blocking board - pics tomorrow!

Leanne they look beautiful!! I love seeing the pics on here. I do have another question for everyone. Where does everyone get all the different colors of thread? My Michaels and Hobby Lobby didn't have hardly anything. Does everyone order online? We've had a busy day today so I'm getting ready to pick mine back up and work on her. I'm at that "hard" row again and hoping this time it turns out okay :)

Now I buy my thread online, either Herrschner's or the Peaches and Cream site. You can get a bit at walmart, but there usually arent many colors to choose from. I have some cool colors from several yrs ago. A local store had some, but it closed down.

Loopy! WOW on all your ladies. They are all so beautiful! :cheer I think I am addicted to these now. I am on my third, waiting for #2 to dry, so I should have some new pics soon. I am so excited to be getting ahead for Christmas. Weight off my shoulders...:hook

It's really late here--2 a.m.-- and I need to be asleep! But I just had to take a quick look at the Ville and then at this thread. Leanne, your Rose Garden is gorgeous and that's your first one! Great job! :clap:applause Your sister-in-law will be thrilled!

Remember, email a pic to Cylinda at Crochet Memories so she can put it on her site. She loves to do that.

The burgundy and beige is gorgeous together. I wish I'd thought of that for my Red & Purple (that's the name of the pattern) crinoline. I made the dress in cream and then could not decide on a 2nd color. My sweetie helped me pick a shade of pink--Dusty Rose--and now I wish I would have thought of burgundy. Oh, well. Next time.

Now I am going to bed. It's a good thing I'm retired and don't have to get up in the morning. :sleep I'll look at the other posts tomorrow once I'm awake. :coffee But I just had to say something about Leanne's completed crinoline and the 2nd one.

Can't wait to see more pics! :manyheart

Thanks, Leanne, for your suggestions. I'll have to get all the fall-type colors together and try to plan it out with Sweetie's help. I still wonder, though, about the spider web design looking right with those colors. Is America's best a brand name? Never heard of it. Our Wal-Mart doesn't have that, I don't think. I'm so glad you're enjoying making the crinolines. I just love 'em! And thanks for your compliment on mine.

Mrs. Laura, are you still not blocked? Still trying to get Endweaver9000! to do it? :lol I can't wait to see a pic of your Ms. Frost after she's blocked. Or is there one posted somewhere and I missed it.

nascar, I checked your profile and see that you registered almost a year ago. Girl, we gotta get you more active 'round here!:lol Did you ask anyone at your Michael's and HL about their stock? Maybe they're just low right now. Sometimes I wonder if it's seasonal but you'd think thread would be year round. I don't usually go to Michael's because it's farther away. I have HL and Wal-Mart very close to home. Oh! I just thought! Do you have some local yarn shops where you live? Give them a call. I was needing the black/gold metallic thread and one of our two stores has ordered it for me. That way I don't have to pay for shipping. Shipping would cost me more than the thread! No way I'm gonna do that. Hope you were able to get past your hard row but remember, if you need help with any pattern, just ask.

lizdini, I'm gonna assume your first name is Liz. I'm so glad you found us. :welcome! I noticed in your siggy you have a multitude of half finished things. I bet my multitude is bigger than your multitude. :lol I have things that are right on the verge of completion and they just sit on the shelf in the closet while I start something new.:blush And you've got the right attitude...you're not doing anything in thread so you're justified in starting a crinoline.:devil

:hi, Granny Square. Good to see you again! I'm sure we all understand how life gets in the way of our craft. Can't wait to see pics of your lady and thank you for the compliment on mine.

Procrastinator! I have one finger pointing at you and the rest pointing back at me!:eek hehe.

So guess you couldn't get Endweaver9000! to weave in the threads, huh. Yep, that good light is necessary for me, too, when working with the threads or dark colored yarns.

Gonna get off this computer for now and go work on something. Hope your 'other project' turns out well. See ya!

still waiting for ends woven in. I did a little the other night then decided I needed to wait till some full sun. Full sun today but I am busy on another project hehe.

I bring you...

Elphaba, Wicked Witch of the West!

post-13625-135897406445_thumb.jpg

I had a lot of fun 'designing' her, actually pilfering ideas visually from other patterns. The spider skirt came from another project I'm working on (set of 2 filet doilies for our nightstands). I opted for apumpkin and black cat instead of her broomstick because, well, I liked 'em better. The head is patterned after the paperback cover of her 'biography' http://www.gregorymaguire.com/books/wickedtiein.html

If you lift the brim of her hat she has silly amigurumi french-knot eyes :)

I used Aleene's Stiffen Quick for the first time, since I thought she should be stiffer than the usual doily but not as stiff as snowflakes (for which I use white glue & water). Unfortunately when used as directed it leaves flakes all over. I think next time I'll spray it, blot it and then pin it to the blocking board.

Granny Square, your witch is FANTASTIC! Love the webs! I made a doily once in black that had a pinwheel in the center and those webs all around the edges. Forget who I gave it to....:think She is great! :cheer

Here is Crinoline Lady #2, still Crochet Memories Rose Garden pattern, just different colors. This one is for MIL for christmas. I kind of got the placement of the hat off a bit, not exactly where I wanted it, but I love how she turned out. I am working on Violet from CM now, doing her in lilac and cream for another SIL for christmas.

th_HPIM1560.jpg

Thank you!

Unfortunately I was 'winging' all the shaped areas as I went, frogging and re-doing until I liked the way it looked; unfortunately I didn't write down the end result, sorry.

Leanne, Rose Garden #2 is lovely; it looks completely different in the new colors. :applause

Thank you!

Unfortunately I was 'winging' all the shaped areas as I went, frogging and re-doing until I liked the way it looked; unfortunately I didn't write down the end result, sorry.

Leanne, Rose Garden #2 is lovely; it looks completely different in the new colors. :applause

Thank you, I really love that pattern. I am doing Violet now, so it's a different pattern. It's coming along and is so pretty too.

I know what you mean about making up stuff and taking it out and redoing it. I did that with a Dora army outfit, and by the time I was done with the shirt, I was elated it was finished. But, no pattern.

Good evening everyone!! Hope everyone is well tonight. I have been on a reluctant crochet break since Saturday night...busy busy...nothing fun or exciting, mostly housework, but have to finish that to crochet guilt free :hook

Granny Square - OH MY GOSH!!! That is just about the cutest witch I've ever seen. Fantastic job!!

Leanne - Rose #2 is beautiful, your MIL is very lucky to be receiving her.

I did finish the skirt for my gal Saturday night and I have to say I am just too excited. Sooo cute this pattern is!! I did make it past the "hard row" lol and really appreciate the offer. She ain't done yet so I may yet call in that offer of help.

"nascar, I checked your profile and see that you registered almost a year ago. Girl, we gotta get you more active 'round here!:lol "

Lol Girl, I am so scared to talk to people on here. It took me days to get up the nerve to ask if I could join this CAL but I knew if I didn't join in, my gal would end up just another UFO. I did go throught the gallery of FO's and posted some oooo's and aaahhh's the other day.

I'm out in the boonies so I don't have any yarn shops within about 40 miles from me and my local Michaels and Hobby Lobby don't really have the most friendliest gals there. I asked for help one time and it got ugly. Walmart is usually my happiest place to shop.

Have a great night all,

Stacey

Archived