Crochet a Crinoline Lady CAL w/Pattern Links

loopy1

Well, don't you be running out of day light now but I can't wait to see your 3 crinolines.

My Spanish Senorita is blocking right now. I made her just like the pattern but I'm gonna get the black/gold metallic thread for the next one in mid-September. A LYS here is ordering it for me. :woo

I doubt that I'll ever go smaller than #10 thread. I do believe some years back I made a nativity wall hanging for my sister in #20 but that's as small as I've ever gone. The #10 is bad enough on my old eyesight now.

I started! I didn't get far yet, but I started the Spanish Seniorita. I'm going to use some left-over Valdani perle 12 thread in muted shades of cranberry for the red, and Altin Basak 50 for the black (more like size 30, I think). I want to make 3 of them and alter them slightly in shape or color for variety.

I didn't really need to start a new project--I'm *that close* to finishing a painted doily, and I need to get it done soon, before the good daylight is gone for the year!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully, I will be joining this one in the next day or two. Hubby is going to put money on my prepaid card after work today so then I can FINALLY go to Crochet Memories and get one or two of the patterns I have been wanting. I am planning on making at least 3 for Christmas Gifts. I might even frame them before giving. I can't wait to start this! I have wanted to make one of these for a long time, they are so pretty!:cheer

Just got my patterns from Crochet Memories!!! I bought the Rose Garden Crinoline and the Crinoline Patriotic Girl Doily! Love them all, but I'll start with these. Now all I have to do is decide on my colors and get started. I really love that you can pick, buy and download your pattern in about two minutes.

I also loved her crinoline and filet doily.....I may get that one later!:hook

Stacey, :welcome! We are so glad to have you! And :welcome to Crochetville! It's never too late to join a CAL. Even if the CAL is no longer active, you can always resurrect it. I'm sorry I didn't see your post before when I responded to Karen's. I swear it wasn't there!

:yay for LaVonne! WTG! (I'm an exclamation mark person, so get used to it. :lol)

Susan, yes, you can make one. If help is needed, we can give it to you.

I have always wanted to crochet one but haven't yet....maybe I can now!!

Doesn't Crochet Memories have a lovely site? I love being able to buy downloadable patterns. I made the Rose Garden twice (think I already told you all that). My first one was Sweet Pea. Yeah, that crinoline and filet doily is very pretty. Sarah aka Heart who used to be active on the Ville made only the crinoline lady part of that one. At least I think it was that one. Didn't look to check.:blush ... So go, Leanne!

Great, Granny! A little frogging never hurt anyone ... well not too much.:lol But you finished the skirt and some accessories. That is progress! You go, Girl! Can't wait to see pics.

I managed to finish the skirt and a couple of accessories for my 'crinoline witch' over the weekend. A little frogging here and there as I am designing as I go, but not too bad. I keep getting different ideas as I go, this is kinda fun.

:hook

Okay, I'll show you a pic of the first one I made ... Miss Sweet Pea ...

th_finishedsweetpea.jpg

I had planned to frame her and have a frame but don't know what to do to fix it up. HL wanted over $50 at 1/2 price to frame her! I just don't have that kind of money. Anyway, I need a background and one of those cutout thingies to put over it all--where the frame actually comes down on it. And probably some spacers to keep the sweet peas from getting smushed.

Also, I want to reblock her. The chains along the bottom are uneven as well as some of the spaces. I also want to reposition her hat. I've learned more about blocking since this one.

So, there's one pic. I'll post more of the ones I've done as we go along, okay? Plus, I'll post any that I start and complete during this CAL. I think I had already started the Spanish Senorita when this CAL started but I'll post her when she's all complete -- SOON! She is so pretty.

Lets see some pics ladies!

Sure, you could teach him to be a blocker. Just have him read Cylinda's instructions for blocking. Of course, he'll have to be able to choose which method he wants to use. You can tell him I recommend the spray starch method.

But then what would you do with his username? :think I guess he could still be endweaver9000, or is it Endweaver9000; and is 9000 correct? Then he could sign up again as blocker400. shh, I know someone on here with two usernames. Oh, and it gets further complicated. Your siggy will have to say "I heart Endweaver9000 and blocker400" and then we will all call you a two-timer. :rofl

Is your Ms. Frost not blocked? :eek for shame, for shame! :eek I meant to ask you to post your picture, too, but I received an important pm and got busy with that. So, where's your picture? Huh?

I wonder if I could teach hubby to be a blocker400

Seriously, I want to try blocking tomorrow...eeek!

Stacey, :welcome! We are so glad to have you! And :welcome to Crochetville! It's never too late to join a CAL. Even if the CAL is no longer active, you can always resurrect it. I'm sorry I didn't see your post before when I responded to Karen's. I swear it wasn't there!

:yay for LaVonne! WTG! (I'm an exclamation mark person, so get used to it. :lol)

Susan, yes, you can make one. If help is needed, we can give it to you.

Doesn't Crochet Memories have a lovely site? I love being able to buy downloadable patterns. I made the Rose Garden twice (think I already told you all that). My first one was Sweet Pea. Yeah, that crinoline and filet doily is very pretty. Sarah aka Heart who used to be active on the Ville made only the crinoline lady part of that one. At least I think it was that one. Didn't look to check.:blush ... So go, Leanne!

You talked me into this after all! but, seriously, I am glad there is a CAL to making these. Good way to keep motivated. I have some carpal tunnel problems, so I need to keep motivated! Here is a question for you since you have made some. I was reading thru the patterns....do you do any gluing on yours or do you sew everthing? I think I would rather sew things on, but how have you done it?

Good morning everyone,

I can't wait to start this!! I picked the witch pattern from Crochet Memories. I saw that pattern last year but was too intimidated to try it. Now I'm just excited. I can't get out today for my supplies, but I should be started on this by tomorrow afternoon. Jeannie, your Sweet Pea is beautiful. I can't wait to see more pics from everyone. This will be my first attempt at blocking also so new experiences all around :)

Leanne, you be careful with the carpal tunnel. Does icing help? Or have you ever used a TENS Unit (I tried to find a good site on TENS Units but they're all confusing unless you know what a TENS Unit is). I don't even know if it's helpful for carpal tunnel. In regard to sewing or gluing, I have used Aleene's Tacky Glue on some but have sewed most of them together. On the Christmas Angel, it was hard placing the wings and halo so I used the glue making it possible to kind of slide the pieces around. I still don't have it looking right.:thair

Stacey, I just might have to work on the witch pattern with you guys. I'm not much into Halloween stuff so I'll probably make her in another color and use a different hat pattern. Thank you for your compliment on Sweet Pea. Cylinda has blocking information on her site and also free patterns for accessories like a closed umbrella, an open umbrella, a basket and a fan. I haven't made any of them yet.

The best way that has worked well for me is to use spray starch. I lay the crinoline on a blocking board covered with a towel and spray all the pieces. I start pulling the pieces into shape and use pins where necessary. I do not use pins all over like you would with a doily.

While it's drying, I periodically check on it and pull more. A steel hook, either end, is great for opening up small spaces and the back end of the hook is good for rounding off the curved areas. I just keep doing this until it's all dry and then pull some more to unstick the places where the starch might have clogged. If I don't like the results, then I do it again and fix what went wrong.

This has worked really well for me on my later attempts. I mentioned the Christmas Angel up above and she's one I've had to really work on. I had to spray her twice. First time I may have just used water which works surprisingly well, too. But I like the stiffer method with the starch.

Also, on the Christmas Angel, I may even need to make the wings and the halo again to make it work out right. That's a nice feature...the parts are so small, it doesn't take much thread.

Loopy...thanks for the glue/sew advice. I was leaning more toward the sewing as well. It's that they are so pretty that you hate to give it as a gift and then something fall off!

My carpal tunnel is "undiagnosed". No insurance, but my mom had it, had the surgery, didn't help. She crocheted too. I have crocheted religiously since the age of 10 and also did many blood pressure checks daily for 14 yrs as an EMT, so I am pretty sure that is some of what is wrong. I do know (at 37) that I have some type of arthritis. My doctor found it on xray when looking for something else. I use ice and heat. Whatever feels good at the time. And I take breaks. But as I get older, it does bother me more. I don't think I could stop crocheting all together. I would flip. So, I try to give it a rest as hubby puts it. But then he doesn't complain when everyone loves their crocheted christmas gifts!:lol

I decided to start with the Rose Garden Crinoline first. I have a feeling I will do more of these. So far, it is working up fast and I am taking it very easy. Her directions are great. I love her because of all the pineapples(one of my favorite things!) and I figure each one will look totally different because of the color of the flowers. My main color is white for this one and I haven't decided on the flower/trim color yet.

I think I will want more of these patterns though....maybe then I will actually keep one for myself!:hook

Didn't get to block today. I had no hot water and smelled gas so hubby came home from work to check it out (I don't do that kinda thing and he didn't want me to call a technician). Once he was home and fixed the water heater we figured run our errands. He forced me to go with him into Michael's to get his art supplies for the art class he is taking. He took forever, hmmming and hawing. Then on the way out I found everything he picked up for about 15 bucks for two bucks.

Of course this is all in great fun as I have dragged him into michaels tons of times where he has had to stand tapping his foot while I hmmm and haw over yarn for an hour or so and then decide not to buy any of it lol. Or buy what I first picked up when I got there. Payback....

Then it was off to officemax to see if they had the sharpies that michaels didn't have, nope but he got some new USB drives because his school computers use a mac and he has a class on those and its not good to use the usb back and forth supposedly.

Then finally to BJs for a few items. Everything has gotten so much more expensive, eek. Gonna have to start eating bread and water, except bread and water is expensive too, lol.

Oh and loopy, my Endweaver9000! ends with an Exclamation mark. Not sure why, just cause he felt like it I am sure.

That's great Leanne that you're finding the Rose Garden easy. I thought it was too. And you're right about her instructions. They are wonderful! Everyone says that about her instructions. With the Aleene's Tacky Glue, I don't think anything will fall off. I had to tug and pry the wings and halo off the Christmas Angel.

I made Rose Garden for a Doily Swap and then made one with a navy blue skirt from where all the doubles start, the bodice I dropped down to the end of the spaces was in white, and the hat was red. I put white stars from the Patriotic Doily on the skirt and the hat. You can see her here. But you already saw her. You were the last one who posted. The one from the doily swap is here.

I'm so sorry about your carpal tunnel. As a past EMT at least you have the knowledge of how to take care of it and it sounds like that's what you're doing. So keep it up and take good care of it. It seems like people are being diagnosed with arthritis at younger ages than it used to be. Maybe because of medical advancements??

Can't wait to see pics of your Rose Garden!

:hug

Oh, so sorry you had no hot water today and smelled gas, too. That's scary...the gas part.

Now, excuses, excuses, excuses! :lol You would have used cold water, Laura, not hot. Didn't you buy any spray starch? I'm telling you, it works great!

Your running errands story is so funny. Thanks for sharing. You two sound like you have lots of fun and that is fantastic. How did you find everything he picked up for two bucks instead of 15 bucks? In the same store?

Tell me about everything getting so expensive. Even at Wal-Mart cause their stuff comes from the area where Gustav just visited. I had to get new spray starch and the price has increased about 20% over what I paid for the last one. Not that it's expensive to begin with...less than $1.00.:P

So sorry I typed Endweaver's name wrong. I try to be so careful about that. Were you in summer camp when I screamed (all in fun) about people writing my name with a capital L? It's loopy1, not Loopy1 but I don't care if you leave off the 1.

I'm thinking about signing on my Sweetie as Shopper2000! and posting about all his adventures in picking up things for me cause I usually don't go out. I know I should but I don't. When I do, more money gets spent. I just don't know how that happens.:P:blush Anyway, I was thinking about starting a thread titled "Adventures of Shopper2000!" after I sign him up.

And that reminds me, I must start a thread asking for some help on a pattern, Prairie Star Doily. I think there's a boo boo in Rnd 13. It was an AA free pattern some time ago designed by Della Beiber and was from the 2/02 issue of Crochet World magazine. I'm working on it for my 11yo, almost 12yo, granddaughter who says she is not a girly girl. She's not interested in the crinolines and I don't know why she likes the doilies. Oh well. Pre-teens--can you figure them out? Grandpa and I just love her to pieces. :heart

Please remember Cheryl aka Mama_Crochet in your prayers.

They were in the path of Gustav and she hasn't posted since the 1st.

Hopefully its just because of the power being down but that's certainly not good either.

He needed 3 different drawing pencils, 3 different charcoal pencils, gum eraser, kneadable eraser, some drawing stick things, a sketch pad, and other things. We looked in the art section for a long time and he was able to get all the items he needed by combining different items but mostly items individually. On my way out I saw kits that were on sale for $4.99 on had a sketch pad, kneadable eraser, sharpener, the stick things, and all the drawing pencils he needed, and another had another sketch pad, lots of different charcoal pencils, a regular eraser and I think some other things. He was already checked out but those two kits rang in at $1 each. I told the lady that I think its a mistake and she said "no they are marked down more to clear but no one has had time to go change the sign".

He kept everything for now because he is going to check with his teacher what stuff he should keep with things in the packages and then return what he doesnt need. I mean the sketch book alone cost him $7 and its only the practice one. The actual one he needs he could still keep. I thought it was a bargain. I wish I had my work CC with me because I would have bought all they had for the kids at work as they also had a bunch of different art books too in that same section. Maybe I will go tomorrow after work again.

I only told you it had an exclamation because you asked. He has been Idyers husband for a long time. Which drives me batty because its an L for Laura! Also lowercase.

I think another hubby would be well welcomed! Plus sounds really funny to hear about his stories. I wish hubby would shop for me but when he does he comes back only with what was on my list. Grrrr....

Hello all,

Well, changed my mind...kind of. I had some red thread in my stash and I really wanted to start last night, soooo, I ordered the Christmas pattern instead. But, I still went out today and I purchased my supplies for the Halloween pattern also. So, if all goes well with this one, I will be doing 2. :hook

I've had a little trouble on row 15 of the skirt so I ripped out and I'll be redoing that after dinner. It's really fun watching it come together.

Jeannie, there's a really cool link on your blog that takes a gal right to the pattern page so I followed that to purchase my pattern. Also, thank you for the blocking info. How fantastic!!

Well, I just wanted to check in and let you know I finally got started...wahoo!!

Archived