Where do you keep your hooks?

I'm just getting into crochet and I was curious where everyone stores their supplies? I have 8 hooks and some yarn so far. I was thinking of finding some type of bin to keep my things organized.

What do you use?

Joanne

I'm just getting into crochet and I was curious where everyone stores their supplies? I have 8 hooks and some yarn so far. I was thinking of finding some type of bin to keep my things organized.

I'm curious on how others keep their stuff?

Joanne

I have one of the mult-drawer organizers from staples. It has 4 smaller drawers good for some pattern books, thread supplies, and the extra hooks. On my wall I have placed a pocket thread holder I made. I took a strip of light weight ducking or heavy muslin 14" x 36" and serged the four sides. I folded up folded up one of the 36" sides up about 4" and sowed the ends. Then I made "pockets" by sowing straight stitch about every 1 1/2" or 2 ". I wrote the size for the crochet hooks. I put all my steel and aluminum susan bates hooks in it and it is handy as I do not have to look to see what size the hook is cuz it's in its own pocket. I had extra pockets lef over and put a old cardboard stitch counter and sissors in or just whatever. It is just thumb tacked to the wall, but can be removed and rolled up.

:blushYarn and thread, on the other hand, has multiplied like rabbits and is all over the craft room in tubs/totes. :eek I'm slowly using them up.

I have my hooks in a cosmetic case. Which works well except you have to dig through it everytime you look for a certain size.

I hope to get or make somekind of roll up case that has pockets for hooks.

I got one of these several years ago:

http://www.wrights.com/wrights/products/catalog/boyeline/6273_lg.htm

I like it because it keeps them very organized, but I quickly outgrew it when I started to accumulate hooks. I am thinking of getting another one (in a different color) to store my Susan Bates hooks, as I have begun to collect different brands. Larger hooks don't fit in there, though, so my DH made a wooden box for me to put all of my larger hooks and scissors in. I asked him to make it really long so it would hold my 14" afghan hook. Right now I have a lot of hooks that don't fit in the case above, so I keep them in the box.

I have read posts where others have said that they keep them in glass jars or vases (displayed like flowers) and others have made or bought quilted roll ups for their hooks.

I sewed myself a hook case with a pocket for a small tape measure, tapestry needles, and stitch markers. My case also holds a pencil and a pair of small scissors. I made it big enough to hold lots of hooks, at least 20.

I keep my yarn in plastic bins that fit into a tall cabinet that my dh bought me. Yarn is sorted by type and color. I keep my pattern books and magazines, and my Wips on shelves in the cabinet as well. I do not have a large stash of yarn though, probably less than 30 skeins.

My bag that I carry my WIPs in has a zippered pocket inside. Right now that's where I keep my hooks. I eventually want to make something to put them in. I just can't decide if I want to crochet something or sew something.

I have a couple of sets that came in cases. I also have a decorative can to hold a bunch of my inexpensive hooks and a couple of cute mugs with my pretty Brittany hooks sitting in them.

I purchased a canvas pencil holder that has a zipper. I have to dig for a certain hook sometimes but I think I purchased it at a $1 store and it works for me.

I keep every size hook and my scissors and needles in a small clear carrying case that slips in the side of my bag. It goes everywhere with me. But I do keep a back up supply in a divided plastic bin that I keep in the closet in case I leave my portable one on my desk at work.:)

Let's see...

I have the Boye Master Set that I keep in the zippered pouch that they came in, it has little loops that they slide into and it keeps them in order of size from the tiny steel hooks all the way up to an aluminum K hook.

Then I have another zippered pouch to hold my ergonomic hooks. That one has foamlike cutouts inside that the hooks and handles nest in.

For my individual steel hooks, I keep them in an old metal eyeglass case. It's one of those cases that the little pairs of half-glasses fit in that they sell at the cash registers of most variety stores, and for all my other hooks (this group weighs almost a little over a pound!) I keep them in a zippered leather makeup bag.

I didn't realize that I have as many hooks as I do until I had them all together on the couch the other night! I was impressed with my own collection! :lol

I have a case filled with hooks, I have a couple coffee cups filled with whichever hooks I'm using at the moment, I have hooks with my wips and occasionally under the couch cushions too.

I keep all my hooks (that aren't in a wip) in one of those pencil pouches you can get in the school supply section. It's got a clear front so I can see what's in there, but it's fairly sturdy.

My husband bought me this for Mother's Day. What I have in it right now are 60 hooks (ranging in size from 14 steels to Q(2 Q hooks actually), a small pair of scissors, a small round tape measure, my labels, and some plastic eyes for some toys that I made. This thing looks small but it holds a TON!

The only thing it doesn't hold is my afghan hooks but I have another case similar to this style that holds all of my knitting needles and my afghan hooks. (I don't even knit, :rofl )

Actually here are pictures of my two cases:

100_3475.jpg

100_3476.jpg

I keep all of my hooks in plastic tooth brush holders, I keep my needles in a pill bottle and I keep it all in a pencil case. with scissors and a tape measure, also a finger nail file with a hole in one end to thread the needle for sewing the pieces together.

I have 2 of the Boye crochet hook cases full of hooks, a couple of mugs on the night stand with some. The ones I use all the time are Clover soft touch and are in one of the Clover hook case.

My husband bought me this for Mother's Day. What I have in it right now are 60 hooks (ranging in size from 14 steels to Q(2 Q hooks actually), a small pair of scissors, a small round tape measure, my labels, and some plastic eyes for some toys that I made. This thing looks small but it holds a TON!

The only thing it doesn't hold is my afghan hooks but I have another case similar to this style that holds all of my knitting needles and my afghan hooks. (I don't even knit, :rofl )

Actually here are pictures of my two cases:

100_3475.jpg

100_3476.jpg

Oooooh! I love that. Tell your husband that he did well!!!!! I may get one of those. (After, of course, I show the picture of yours to my DH to make him feel guilty. :lol:lol )

I have a craft bag for at home by my chair. But I also have zippered pencil cases I keep my hooks and doublepointed needles in. I buy pencil cases and cosmetic bags on clearance at work to keep odds & ends in and small projects.

I make a hook case using iron-on fabric stitchers (the kind used to mend hems). Since I don't know how to work the sewing machine and it takes me forever to hand stitch, this fabric mender thing works very well and fast too.

I keep my best hooks in a hook case given to me about 5 yrs ago and recently I started to keeping my spares in a hard eyes glass case The hard case goes in my purse with a small ball of yarn so I have it with me at all times. I have a drawer thing with 4 small drawers and 3 bigger drawers I use that for my pattern books and my specialty yarns. Then I have a tote and 2 boxes full of yarn.

Archived