What's your favorite basic afghan pattern?

What is your favorite pattern for an afghan that is fairly easy and quick to make? I'm looking for something to crochet for charities where I would feel some sense of accomplishment. I started a large afghan in a seed stitch a few years back and it haunts me still.....lurking in the cedar chest....

Thanks for any feedback!

~Corrina

WIP:

Baby's Peephole Ripple (White, Mint, Blue)

I make a big granny square with a nice border. I also have made 2 good sized granny squares, sewn them together and then continued "granny stitching" around that to the size I want. I also like to use Bernat Softee Chunky, an "N" hook and I single crochet or double crochet with 2 colors making stripes as I go.

Super fast and easy afghans.....my kind of crochet! :hook

I made up a pattern last year for a quick afghan - it's on my blog (along with everyone who has made up a version's)

http://safetybootsandcrochet.wordpress.com/the-avatar-afghan/

It's very easy with only two different rows to make up the pattern and then the border can be as plain as you like.

Manda

I've made several using Lion Homespun and a simple double crochet. I like to vary the look using colors. It's simple and quick and you can make it whatever size you like. I usually do a few rounds of hdc for the border. They come out very soft and cuddly and very warm! Pics on my blog (link below)

My favorite quick blanket goes like this:

Chain multiple of 2 plus 1

Row 1: sc in third chain, *ch 1, sc in second chain* continue til end of chains.

Row 2: ch 1, turn, sc in ch 1 space, ch 1, sc in ch 1 space* repeat; sc in last stich.

(if that makes any sense)

I use a solid yarn and a varigated yarn held together. It always comes out nice, and a simple border finishes it nicely.

I love this, it is simple. It works up quickly if you use two strands. Keeps it's shape very well. Wonderful straight edges. I did a version using two different yarns, with a sort of blending technique. so it can be easily modified for colors, and size.

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/patterns/bubbles_baby_blanket.php

the granny square, theres a thread here for the friends and family square that works up easy and fast for me. multiple strands of yarn go fast also. just a few that i like :)

Sandy

There's one I like...but I have no idea where I got the pattern from....I think I made it up as a variation of something, but I'm not sure.

You make a chain of whatever length, in the 4th chain from hook (dc, ch2, sc). *Skip 2 ch, in the next ch (2 dc, ch2, sc)* repeat to end. Then the next and subsequent rows you do the 2dc, ch2, sc in each of the 2ch loops formed on the previous row. That's the basic jist of it...I've not ever written it down properly....but it makes a lovely kind of sloped shell pattern that's very warm.

My favorite quick blanket goes like this:

Chain multiple of 2 plus 1

Row 1: sc in third chain, *ch 1, sc in second chain* continue til end of chains.

Row 2: ch 1, turn, sc in ch 1 space, ch 1, sc in ch 1 space* repeat; sc in last stich.

(if that makes any sense)

I use a solid yarn and a varigated yarn held together. It always comes out nice, and a simple border finishes it nicely.

I've made baby blankets with this stitch pattern and they really do turn out very pretty, look a bit like a thermal blanket. The blanekt has quite a bit of texture, and are very warm. However, I am a very slow crocheter, so I've never tried it for anything bigger than that.

I like the Round Ripples. I can whip one up in a week and a lot of ooooo's and awwwww's are received when I deliver them.

People think they are so hard, when they are not at all. And if you can count, you can make one. I just love them.

:manyheart

I have two. The Light and Lacy pattern off the Mainstays yarn wrapper, and a RR. Too bad you can't get Mainstays any more, I loved that yarn.

I have two. The Light and Lacy pattern off the Mainstays yarn wrapper, and a RR. Too bad you can't get Mainstays any more, I loved that yarn.

Me Too!:hook

Granny square is my basic...but my husband got me '10-20-30 minutes to crochet' (think thats the name, friend is using instructions to help remind her of the stitches for crochet) at walmart and I'm using the blue dishcloth pattern for a blanket for my girls. It is going quickly and doesn't require a lot of thought.

Archived