I'm finally crocheting the "right" way!

When I taught myself to crochet in 2005, I just could not get the hang of pulling the yarn through the loops on the hook. I couldn't get my hand to move the hook correctly - the yarn would slip off, or I'd catch and split the loops I was trying to pull through - it just left me frustrated! :angry So I said the heck with it and just used the thumb and forefinger of my yarn (left) hand to pull the loops over the end of the hook instead (I don't even know if you all can visualize what I'm talking about - my yarn hand did most of the work, my hook hand just pretty much held the hook still as I completed each stitch - does that make sense?!). It worked and I've made tons of things crocheting that way.

Over the years I've tried off and on to do it the right way and just never could do it. But the other day, I had the sudden impluse to try it again, and something finally clicked! It works! :cheer And suddenly my tension is a lot looser, too. Go figure! :lol Not that I think one has to crochet (or do anything else, for that matter) 100% 'by the book', but I'm excited to finally be crocheting like most everyone else. :crocheting

I think they way ye were doing it is the same way i taught my daughter to start. then as she got more comfortable she started doing it "right" then she taught a few friends using the same technique and now after a year they are so proud to be doing it like "Melissas mom does". I think that there is no right or wrong way just whatever is comfortable for each "hooker" as long as you get the outcome you want. But congrats on figuring out what you thought you were doing "wrong" a whole new world is gonna open for you now. Your options for projects has just become limited to only your imagination and desire. have funn and congrats

I can see what you're talking about... it's how my dd crochets, it's the only way she could and enjoy it, was too frustrated trying to do it "right"... as she gets older I'm sure she'll adapt.

Congrats on moving on!!! :cheer

Good for you for staying with crochet 'however it got done' and for keeping at it until you could do the recommended techniques. it says much about you that you stuck to it!!!

:hug

:) Your old way is the same way I do it all the time! I have a real problem when my thumbnail is too short - it's doing the grabbing and pulling through for me. I'm glad to hear you adapted to the "right" way - I don't know if I ever will, LOL!

Oh funny - I just taught DD to crochet and this is how she does it! I find that when I've been away from crochet for years and years, that's how I start out, too. Then after a few rows, it clicks in and I automatically start just moving the right hand.

My problem was not moving the yarn through the hook - my problem was that I could never YO from the back of the hook & always did it from the front of the hook. For years I thought this was how it was done & only about 8 months ago did I discover that everyone else YO from the back of the hook. When I changed it, suddenly my stitches were looser & I could crochet projects that before would never turn out right.

It seems like we all adapt to what works!

Using Susan Bates hooks may also be a help to you. They have a slightly deeper throat, so they hold the yarn a little better. When the throat section is shorter, you have to struggle more to keep the yarn from popping off just as you are about to pull a loop through. With a Bates hook, the yarn stays in place better when you are pulling a loop through.

You know this is funny to me. I am also on a knitting board and the merits of different knitting styles are vigorously discussed and often. But crochet methods seem more homogenous, or at least we don't much talk about crochet styles here. I think the consensus in both places is if it gets the job done in an acceptable fashion then it's perfectly fine! I'm glad you are pleased with your new skill, ArielManx. May you crochet long and well with it!

I can see what you're talking about... it's how my dd crochets, it's the only way she could and enjoy it, was too frustrated trying to do it "right"... as she gets older I'm sure she'll adapt.

Congrats on moving on!!! :cheer

My neighbor girl does it that way also. We're working on trying it the other way, but she gets frustrated.

She's only 11.

:manyheart

Thanks, everyone! :hug I sometimes take for granted what a loving and friendly board this is - your kind comments always make me feel like a million bucks! :yay

Using Susan Bates hooks may also be a help to you. They have a slightly deeper throat, so they hold the yarn a little better. When the throat section is shorter, you have to struggle more to keep the yarn from popping off just as you are about to pull a loop through. With a Bates hook, the yarn stays in place better when you are pulling a loop through.

Oddly enough, Bates hooks were what I was using at the start when I couldn't get things to work! I use Boye hooks most of the time now (and haven't touched my Bates since I got my first Boye) and now I can get it to work. Go figure... :hook

I don't use Bates hooks, either... the yarn keeps falling off the hook, so I use Boye hooks. I've noticed that the Boye hooks have a slightly pointed tip where the Bates hooks don't. Makes it easier to me to put the hook through the loops.

But I don't crochet like most people, my hook does most of the work, I hold the hook like a pencil and my left hand just holds the yarn, wound through the fingers. I do tend to make tighter stitches, though, so I have to work on loosening them up a bit.

I think that the way you were crocheting might be called the "American" way and now you might be doing it the "Continental" way. You can check out learn to crochet tutorials on line and see which way you are crocheting.

Actually I crochet very similarly to that and i consider it the RIGHT way for someone with one hand that is nerve dead. I cannot feel anything with the right hand, so I do a lot of the work with the left fingers. It's not wrong. I get the tension correctly, therefore it is RIGHT.

I can adjust my tension when I need to. I prefer a tight tension but if a specific pattern calls for otherwise, I will adjust it. But I use both hands equally. My right turns and moves my hook while my left holds the work, yarn and I use it to yarn over with too. Mind you, I'm an ambi too! :lol

Sore

Wow! I hope you're moving faster as well. I'm kind of a process improvement person Ihave gotten several $$ awards thru the years for improving life cycles of products manufacture). I cannot imagine using that additional time needed to manuarlly put the yarn on the hook!

Archived