Crafting for a Cause supports various causes

walker1021

Please come check out Crafting for a Cause. Our efforts and focus are on children and elders of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in SD, the newborn unit of the Pine Ridge hospital in SD, The Cangleska Battered Women's shelter on the Pine Ridge reservation in SD, Children at the UC Davis Pediatric Cancer Infusion Center in Sacramento CA and those suffering with traumatic Brain injury at the Hartwyck At Oak Tree Hospital in Edison NJ.

We have two challenges for April and May. One is making granny's daughters, which are mailed to one of our members. She will assemble them into shawls. The shawls will then be mailed to the Women's Shelter. Our other challenge is finger puppets. These will be given to the children at the infusion center. Hopefully these will help put a smile on their faces during their treatment times.

We would love to have you come join us.

I am in. Received the approval this morning. I am so lost over there. It's so big. I am gonna start on the granny daughters and then find out where to send.

So maybe I'll need someone to hold my hand there for the first few days :lol

:hug We will help you thru this trying time. lol Yes, there is a lot going on. But if you find one thing that interests you, and stick with that (like granny's daughters), then you don't have to think about the other causes until you are ready. Make sense??/:think

Hi Jana!

Just went to yahoo groups and signed up!

I have some granny daughters made and will make more as I have a lot of scraps to use up.

Won't be able to send them for a few weeks because hubby is laid off. He said that it should only be a 2 week layoff.

Will see what else you need when I am approved. I can do crochet finger puppets. That would use up a lot of scraps too!

Have a great day!:hook

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on our April/May challenge. So far, 135 finger puppets have been mailed for the children's infusion center. And 1,486 grannies daughters have been made and mailed to our member who is assembling these into shawls (enough for 27 shawls!) Please come on over and join us. The link to the group is in my sig line. Hope to see you there!

Hi! I just sent an email to join up. I have a whole shoebox full of granny's daughters!

I was reading on the yahoo group, they said granny's daughters are two rounds? I always thought it was one round (not counting the chain loop). I'm happy to make them either way, but can you clarify for me so I do it right? I'm easily confused!:think

I am here to unconfuse you...lol

The grannies daughters Lynn is using for her shawls are the 1st 2 rounds of a traditional granny square. Any color except black, as she is using black to connect them. Hope this helps. :hook

Awesome! Thanks! Mine are only the first round, hopefully I still have those colours left to do a second row on them!:lol

Just wanted to say 'hi' and THANK YOU for supporting this work. Some of the lapghans go to the Brain Trauma Rehab where my son Tim has been for most of the last two years. Luckily my Mom can visit him daily, but some patients have no family to visit, or they are very far away. A bright color lapghan really brightens up their room.

• 2 weeks later...

We still have 2 weeks left of our Finger Puppet/Grannies Daughters challenge. Come on over and share your talents for those in need. Click on the link in my sig line. Hope to see ya there!

• 1 month later...

Hi all, my name is Lynn Vars, i am the one making shawls for the charities at CFAC

first i want to apologize for the confusion created when i called a "granny's daughter" what you guys call a" saltine ".

however i can use both to make my shawls. i am still collecting and will make shawls as long as i have yarn and donated "squares"

they will be donated to the CFAC Charities

so if you are interested "saltines "or "grannies daughters" in any color or combination there -of but please use worsted weight that is washable and and "h" hook ( 55 "saltines" to make a shawl but i mix and match as well so any # is great)

i prefer acrylic - red heart is fine( i don't mind working with it and it washes up soft!)

please no cotton, i don't like to mix the yarns

i can also use xtra for the half grannys and 12" long ends for fringe!!!!

i have the ones i have finished posted here

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftingForACause/photos/browse/9f10

post here or e-mail me and i will send an address

thanks

enjoy

lynn vars

dragonpuck

So far I have sent over 500 granny's daughters (they go so fast) for the Shawl's Lynn V. does and also over 300 YoYo's that Jana uses to make afghans. YoYo's are chain 4, slip stitch to form circle, 3 chains (counts as 1st DC) then 15 double crochets. fasten off end result is a round circle with 16 DC's in it. GREAT for small balls of yarn and uses only about 20 inches of yarn or so to complete one. Go to the webpage and check out the shawls and afghans made from these things. They are incredible. I can make squares of any size and yoyo's all day but DO NOT ask me to join. That drives me nuts :eek

PJ in Seabrook NH

Crafting for Many Human Causes

Helping Animal Causes Too

plus those below

Did someone mention Yo Yos?? I am working on a "regular" afghan now, but the past couple days I have been having Yo Yo withdrawls. I might just have to start up another yo yoghan before the other afghan is finished.

Jana - Queen of Yo Yos

• 1 month later...

Archived