Recycle Those Plastic Shopping Bags

Hi everyone!

I'm not "green" by any stretch. I like doing things that help me save money and if they reduce my carbon footprint along the way, all the better.

Spring is knocking on the door and that gives me the opportunity to hang my clothes out to dry. I bought new clothespins today and tried to find a clothespin bag but the Great Box Store didn't have any. I have a sewing machine and fabric so I could remedy this myself but I'm in much more of a crochet mood lately so I did a search for Crochet Clothespin Bag.

I came upon this AWESOME idea! http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/02/17/instructions-for-cutting-plastic-bags-creating-recycled-plastic-yarn/

What is a bigger pile than even my YARN pile? My plastic shopping bag pile! This gives me the opportunity to use them for something other than kitty litter bags and bathroom trashcan liners. I'm making my own ball of Plarn (plastic yarn per the blogger) so that I can make my very own Plarn Crochet Clothespin bag: http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/08/11/crochet-a-recycled-clothes-pin-bag/

Looks cute, is waterproof, and I don't have to spend any money! Woohoo! :clapThank you to the blogger who made this information available!

I've done that before. It's fun, and tends to confuse people at first. ;) My closet is full of plastic bags I've been meaning to add to my ball. I started a large bag (a bag bag :haha) but only got a few inches in. I really ought to start working on it again, huh?

It's not that bad really. But it's definately different, and it depends on the bags you use. Some feel sticky, others don't. Walmart bags aren't that bad for example.

I have seen patterns for this for quite some time and always wanted to try it.

It's the preparation that gets me. I guess I'm lazy that way, I like to sit down and just get started on a project! I suppose that' also why I've never wanted to sew or quilt. :haha

It's the preparation that gets me. I guess I'm lazy that way, I like to sit down and just get started on a project! I suppose that' also why I've never wanted to sew or quilt. :haha

So maybe think of making the yarn one project, and then using it a second project...:hook

I'm with you on that. I have admired Cindy's patterns for a while but have always thought "but all that work!" I met a woman at my local Joann store during a "Joann university" event who had made one and she swore it was easy. Still, there my plastic bags sit. :eek

My plastic bags usually get recycled as small trash can liners, and as fillers between the birhtday and Christmas packages we send to CO and MT every year. I need a good clothespin bag... but this looks like a lot of.... work.

The last time I tried plarn was way before I saw any tutorials. It must have been dry inside, b/c I had HUGE static cling issues, and finally quite. Time to try again.

I WISH I could have a sunshine umbrella, or anything to hang laundry on outside, but our trailer park doesn't allow it. So I use those cheap folding racks and stick them by the kitchen windows (Long kitchen made narrow by an island, perfect for laundry racks on one side...or racing cars, DS thinks). In spring and summer, those windows open, and fill with houseplants besides...laundry smells much nicer with open air. :)

I have made 2 bags from 'plarn' and like them very much. Friends save different colors for me and one of the bags is yellow with red stripes near the top. The 'plarn' doesn't slide as smoothly as yarn over your hand and for that reason I can only do a few rows at a time. The bags still worked quickly and I plan to do more 'plarn' projects.

That's really neat. I don't use plastic bags too often, I have the canvas ones. America is one of the few countries left that use plastic bags. I have tons of canvas bags because I ALWAYS forget them at home! LOL

That's really neat. I don't use plastic bags too often, I have the canvas ones. America is one of the few countries left that use plastic bags. I have tons of canvas bags because I ALWAYS forget them at home! LOL

Since all the chains have been selling them, my collection of fabric bags has grown...I had 5 before, two oversize homemade, one from pre-reg at hospital for DS birth, and 2 from college (we had a green club back then too (mid 90's)...But they so often stayed in the house...now I have those 5, a string bag, and oh, 8 or so of the new store ones...love them...and with that many, I almost always have a bunch in the van. As little as 1 year ago, cashiers would look at me funny with my little home-made bags...it's good to see the chains get on the bandwagon. Finally. I hear some states are trying to eliminate plastic bags altogether...I'm all for it.

Since all the chains have been selling them, my collection of fabric bags has grown...I had 5 before, two oversize homemade, one from pre-reg at hospital for DS birth, and 2 from college (we had a green club back then too (mid 90's)...But they so often stayed in the house...now I have those 5, a string bag, and oh, 8 or so of the new store ones...love them...and with that many, I almost always have a bunch in the van. As little as 1 year ago, cashiers would look at me funny with my little home-made bags...it's good to see the chains get on the bandwagon. Finally. I hear some states are trying to eliminate plastic bags altogether...I'm all for it.

I couldn't agree more! I hate to walk around my town and see all those nasty bags. I don't drive and I take the bus when my husband is at work so those canvas bags REALLY help!

Here's a page with links to plastic crocheting:

http://marthac.info/plastic.html

I like your idea of embedding the hangar inside the bag. I think something like that would make a handy garbage bag for the car. Just hang the bag someplace. They're washable and very durable.

I've seen rugs crocheted from them as well.

yea, my plastic bags get recycled at the bottom of the kitty litter pan......lol...

I KNOW its not exactally recycling...but hey, it works, and uses them up!!

I've made some tote bags from plarn, even sold some. It's not to hard to work with, just different. I had a pattern for a pin bag that used cotton (macramé string maybe :think). I like this idea.

Ellie 13

Hi everyone!

I'm not "green" by any stretch. I like doing things that help me save money and if they reduce my carbon footprint along the way, all the better.

Spring is knocking on the door and that gives me the opportunity to hang my clothes out to dry. I bought new clothespins today and tried to find a clothespin bag but the Great Box Store didn't have any. I have a sewing machine and fabric so I could remedy this myself but I'm in much more of a crochet mood lately so I did a search for Crochet Clothespin Bag.

I came upon this AWESOME idea! http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/02/17/instructions-for-cutting-plastic-bags-creating-recycled-plastic-yarn/

What is a bigger pile than even my YARN pile? My plastic shopping bag pile! This gives me the opportunity to use them for something other than kitty litter bags and bathroom trashcan liners. I'm making my own ball of Plarn (plastic yarn per the blogger) so that I can make my very own Plarn Crochet Clothespin bag: http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/08/11/crochet-a-recycled-clothes-pin-bag/

Looks cute, is waterproof, and I don't have to spend any money! Woohoo! :clapThank you to the blogger who made this information available!

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments. This clothes pin bag is wonderful. If it rains it doesn't hurt it and and the pins stay pretty dry inside. Also because of the holes it kinda breezes so the pins don't get weathered if you leave it out hanging. It works up pretty fast and easy. One tip for cutting the bags that I love to use is to fold them and cut them on a paper cutter. We have a large one at work and I just love using it to cut my strips. It really speeds up the plarn making process. :yes

Cindy,

I've actually had fun making the plarn. I do it in the evenings when my daughter is playing or while she's napping. Yesterday, it helped me keep my sanity when everything just seemed to happen at once! I grouped the bags into piles based on what store and now I'm afraid I might run out of the store I started with!

How big a bag ball do I need to make a clothespin bag? Can you guess? I mean is it 4 inches in diameter, 12 inches? 3 feet? lol

Thanks!

Jane

Cindy,

How big a bag ball do I need to make a clothespin bag? Can you guess? I mean is it 4 inches in diameter, 12 inches? 3 feet? lol

Thanks!

Jane

I'd say about 30-40 bags or maybe like 5" ball. It really depends on the bags you use, the width you cut them etc. How about putting a stripe in your bag so you can use another color of bags? Are you passed the opening yet? Anyway you could just finish with another store bag if you want or try and get more of the same bags. Post a picture when you get it done. I'd love to see it.

I have a big ball of plarn I plan on making "green" grocery totes out of. I loved my 7yo dd's reaction - she got a really confused look on her face and said "You're going to cut all of these bags up and make yarn....just to make another bag?!?!?!" Too funny!

I have crocheted a couple of bags. I used a g hook and tan bags on one of them, and it looks like a summer straw bag. It is lined and has a zipper on top. The other, using the same instructions, I used a J hook (it's also lined) and a loop and button closure which can be used for a project or book bag. You can see pictures of my bags under the "Recycled Plastic Bag CAL" post # 237. My daughter also knitted a larger tote bag.

I don't bother to make big plarn balls as they take up too much room if you want to carry your crochet project with you to the doctor or dentist's office to work on while you are waiting. I just leave all the rings flat and add them on about a dozen at a time as I need them. I've also used plarn on plastic canvas.

Archived