Favourite hook for afghan and accessories?

mom2boys

favourite hook  

55 members have voted

1. 1. favourite hook

• Boyes
    • Susan Bates
    • Soft Touch
    • others

Just curious, what's your absoulte favourite hooks? I have a set of Boyes hooks up to size K and Afghan hook I, that comes with my 'I Taught Myself to Crochet' book. After reading about Susan Bates' Silvalume hooks, I'm thinking of trying the bigger hooks. I just found my lost hook sets, they were under my bed of all places!:( So far, when I was missing my hooks, I got myself 2 Soft Touch hooks, I love them and I bought the crochet lite hook, but has yet to try it!

So, Please tell me what's your absolute favourite hooks for both afghan and regular scarves and hats ? I'm not into clothes yet since I'm still relatively new to crochet!:)

Thank you very much for all your replies and suggestions !:)

My first set of hooks were Aero hooks, and they're nice enough, but they could use a larger grip in the middle. I switched to Boyes hooks because I liked that they had a better grip so my hand cramped up less. Now I've found that I crochet better with in-line hooks like Crystalites, or my ergonomic hook set that has the interchangable heads.

Ooooh, ergonomic hooks! I'll have to check those out!

I usually use the Boye hooks I get at WalMart because they're the least expensive, and they get the job done.

A rosewood hook in size K was recently purchased for me but I haven't tried it out yet. Can't wait!

I voted others...but only because I am finding I have various preferences, heh. If the hooks are large, K and bigger, I prefer the Bates type head, in plastic. Except for my Balene II hooks, those seem ok even with a Boye type head. I think the Balene are actually a bit flexible, so they don't give me fits.

Medium size can be either Bates or Boye, but if I ever get an entire set of bamboo-handled Bates, I'll be a very happy girl. Preferrably metal, for these sizes.

Smalls, F and below, are good in plastic for light yarns, but metal when I need tight fabric. I will snap plastic, heh. Boye seem to work best for me in these sizes.

no brand, but a "G"....always a "G"....my favorite hook of all time (yes, I'll use another when the pattern requires).....but I always go back to "G"

I'm using a K-10/2(6.5mm) for my uncle's afghan and because I crochet too tightly, a bad habit that I have to change, the afghan is at least 4 inches narrower!:( I'll have to use a bigger one for my next afghan! I always use 4mm or H-8 (5mm) for Project Linus blankets since they are much smaller!

the only hooks I have that I don't care for are Boye, for whatever reason they are larger than my susan bates, clover & others so I have to be careful to keep the boye's with a project because of the size difference. Otherwise haven't found a hook I couldn't use yet.

I love my Bates hooks. Boye are nice for most things, but if it's a splitty yarn Bates just seems to hold it better without splitting or getting caught because of the shape of the point of the head and the lip of the hook. Of course, I'd love to have some wooden ones.....

I'm a Boye fan...I'll use Susan Bates, but Boye is what I originally learned on. I don't like the soft touch hooks, as they aren't long enough for me.

I am definitely a Susan Bates user. For some reason, the yarn does not flow smoothly on the Boye hooks. I do have a couple of other brands but always go back to Susan Bates. Depending on the pattern, I tend to use (for my charity afghans) a J or K hook the most.

LI Roe

I liked my Boyes, then I bought the soft touch, which I really really like, BUT the one downfall is that they are short. But I like them anyway and they were my primary hook until recently when my swap partner gifted me with a handmade wooden crochet hook with a comfy grip size G. SOOOOOOOOO now I'm addicted to this hook,:c9 unlike any I have ever had. I am currently bidding on another one by this company, so that I can add to my collection. :manyheart

For afghan hooks, I prefer the Susan Bates hooks. However, for regular hooks, I prefer the Boye. The finish on the few Boye afghan hooks that I have is not as smooth as the Susan Bates. Also, I prefer the 10 inch afghan hooks which Boye doesn't offer.

Beverly

I always used Boye, just because they were the cheapest ones. And... I like all the colors. =D

But I went to Hobby Lobby last week, and saw the Clovers and I remembered seeing that people liked them on here.

I love that hook. I only got one, but I'm definitely going back for more.

• 3 weeks later...

These no-brand vietnamese bamboo needles my dad bought me.... I lost one though, so i suppose I'll just have to get another set....

Yup, that's my excuse.

I usually have to amke due with the cheapest hooks I can find, both because I'm poor and because I lose hooks.

My bamboo ones were a special treat, and I havn't put down the 5.0 yet!

I voted others...but only because I am finding I have various preferences, heh. If the hooks are large, K and bigger, I prefer the Bates type head, in plastic. Except for my Balene II hooks, those seem ok even with a Boye type head. I think the Balene are actually a bit flexible, so they don't give me fits.

Medium size can be either Bates or Boye, but if I ever get an entire set of bamboo-handled Bates, I'll be a very happy girl. Preferrably metal, for these sizes.

Smalls, F and below, are good in plastic for light yarns, but metal when I need tight fabric. I will snap plastic, heh. Boye seem to work best for me in these sizes.

I got banned from plastic hooks...

I snapped one at a family reunion, and some of it flew into my grand-dad's drink.

He laughed, but told me he'd give me money to buy some metal ones, as long as i promised not to bring any more plastic ones to his house. I still have the money in my box... I keep forgetting to grab it before i leave for the store.

Archived