lapghans needed for senior's christmas. Blog updated with all the pictures. THANKS!!

sissie44

A couple of weeks ago I picked up the Susan Bates Crystallite packet at Joann's. The one with G-P in those pretty colors! And it was on sale, so I got it for about $9! I tried the floral square tonight with N, and if I don't stretch it, it's 12" on the dot! :clap

WTG I knew you would figure it out:cheer:cheer:cheer

susan bates is the only hooks I ever use! have never tried an N hook:think

hugs,

sissie

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished!

Here's a picture of the lapghan.

lagphan-2.jpg

I used Red Heart Super Saver in Soft Navy, Hunter Green, Burgundy, and Aran.

The link to the pattern for the 12" squares is here.

Sissie, please PM me your address and I'll send it out this week!

-Stacia

Stacia, that's beautiful! I've tried that square, but no matter what I do it won't come out right for me. Is there a trick to it or is it just me, lol?

No Ann, it's not you. I was thinking the same thing when I looked at her lapghan. I've done that stitch many times and mine doesn't look like hers either.:no

No Ann, it's not you. I was thinking the same thing when I looked at her lapghan. I've done that stitch many times and mine doesn't look like hers either.:no

Thanks Pat! I don't feel so bad any more, lol!:crocheting

OH WOW so pretty :hug:hug thank you so much:hug

Finished!

Here's a picture of the lapghan.

lagphan-2.jpg

I used Red Heart Super Saver in Soft Navy, Hunter Green, Burgundy, and Aran.

The link to the pattern for the 12" squares is here.

Sissie, please PM me your address and I'll send it out this week!

-Stacia

Stacia, that's beautiful! I've tried that square, but no matter what I do it won't come out right for me. Is there a trick to it or is it just me, lol?

I have the pattern printed out I will try it and let you know:)

I'm sorry to hear that the square isn't working out for you. I did make some changes to the pattern, so here are some of the things I did differently. I hope it helps!

1) I used an H hook to get the right gauge.

2) For the starting ring, I only chained 6 instead of 8 and then slip stitched in the first chain to join the ring. Eight seemed to make a really big ring.

3) This isn't a change, just a clarification. The first round is worked into the ring, not into the chains.

4) And here's the BIG change. I tried to do the join at the end of each round the way the pattern instructs, but I didn't like it at all. Here's the way I joined rounds.

At the last corner, I did a chain 3 then I did a slip stitch in the third chain of the beginning stitch of the round. Then I did a chain 3 to start the next round. Next I did a double crochet in the corner space that I just made (so you work over the slip stitch that you just made). Then I worked the rest of the round according to the pattern.

No matter how carefully I counted, somehow I frequently ended up losing a stitch on one of the rounds. I just assumed it was something to do with how I joined the rows (perhaps I forgot to work a double crochet into the top of the chain 3 at the beginning of the round). To correct it, I just worked 2 double crochet stitches into 1 double crochet. It's impossible to tell!

I hope that is clear enough to understand. The joining corner doesn't end up being as pretty as the other corners, but you only see a difference if you look closely.

-Stacia

P.S. If you want to try to join the rows according to the pattern. The trick is that the half double crochet is worked into the top of the chain three before you rotate the work to start the next round. So that when you start the next round, you chain 3 then work the double crochet around the half double crochet turned on it's side. I didn't care for it, because the half double crochet with stitches worked over it seemed too bulky, but if it works for you, feel free to try it.

I thought of some more tips to share.

After the last round, I edged each square with a round of double crochet in the Aran colored yarn. At the corners, I worked 3 double crochet into the corner stitch. (There are 5 double crochet worked into each corner loop on the last round. I worked the 3 double crochet for the edging into the third double crochet in the group of 5.)

Also joining was a little bit of a headache. This pattern creates some very rounded corners. The edging round made them a little sharper, but the afghan still puckers a little bit where the corners of the squares are joined. My husband evenually convinced me that it was no big deal, so I left it alone. Perhaps I should have blocked the squares to try to make the corners sharper before joining the squares.

After joining all of the squares, I edged the afghan using the pattern for the last 2 rounds of the square.

-Stacia

Hi Sissie, Here is a square that i have been working on...Just wondering if it is ok or are there to many holes for what you want.. There are 8" squares. I made the flower in the middle all different colors.

tmpphpGzNmjr.jpg

Sissie, I have these 5 lapghans done. The only problem is that there are holes in the blue one and the patriotic one that may be too large for what you're asking for. If you still want them, I'll send you all 5. If not, I'll send the other 3. Please let me know. Thanks. :hug

th_P5010001.jpg

th_P5010024.jpg

th_P5010027.jpg

th_P5010028.jpg

th_P5010030.jpg

Sissie, I have these 5 lapghans done. The only problem is that there are holes in the blue one and the patriotic one that may be too large for what you're asking for. If you still want them, I'll send you all 5. If not, I'll send the other 3. Please let me know. Thanks. :hug

th_P5010001.jpg

th_P5010024.jpg

th_P5010027.jpg

th_P5010028.jpg

th_P5010030.jpg

Those are beautiful! And speedy!

I love it:manyheart and will be just fine for these blankets:hug

Hi Sissie, Here is a square that i have been working on...Just wondering if it is ok or are there to many holes for what you want.. There are 8" squares. I made the flower in the middle all different colors.

tmpphpGzNmjr.jpg

wow these are so pretty!! I think they will work doesn't look like the holes are to big to me.

thank you so much:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug

th_P5010001.jpg

th_P5010024.jpg

th_P5010027.jpg

th_P5010028.jpg

th_P5010030.jpg

Archived