lapghans needed for senior's christmas. Blog updated with all the pictures. THANKS!!

sissie44

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know you know this Sissie but wanted to let ya know I am making some. I ogtta add it here so I won't forget. :D

hey Jess glad to see you here:)!! and thank you so much for helping me:clap

I received my first two squares today :clap:clap:clap I am so happy!!

Hope everyone has a Happy easter :rabbit:rabbit:rabbit

:hug

sissie

Hey Sissie, I'm here from one of our yahoogroups. Just finished my PL aghfan, and am ready to make some lapghans for you.:crocheting

They are nearly half the size of my PL. This means I can make twice as many.:yay

Hey Sissie, I'm here from one of our yahoogroups. Just finished my PL aghfan, and am ready to make some lapghans for you.:crocheting

They are nearly half the size of my PL. This means I can make twice as many.:yay

hey Meegan didn't know you were here also;) great to see you here! And thanks so much for helping me with this!!

Hugs,

sissie

I'll definitely send along a lapghan (or two, or three, ...) I've made several for the nursing home both of my in-laws are in - I know the residents love them. PM with your address and I'll get to work!

As an Activity Director for Long-Term facilities, I can agree that lapghans are wonderful. Last year I was able to get enough, between fleece, quilted, and crocheted, for each of my residents to have one. I can agree that a lapghan is enough, even for those not wheelchair bound.

Count me in for a lapghan .... and don't be surprised if I ask for one back :devil.

OH! I won't make a granny square type, I'll make a whole lapghan. I know with residents that are confused (as most are), sometimes they may get their hand, toe, foot, brake, etc., caught in it and have a fall. :eek So I'm asking all who participate (and who participate at other senior living centers) to please be careful with the "hole" size.

PM me your info, so I can get to work on it :hug

Thanks for the advice sara elaine! I'd hate to cause harm with a well meaning gift. My squares are a solid granny with some small holes. I think it'll be ok.

I've finished one square sissie! I'm making you a 36" by 48" lapghan with 12" squares.

-Stacia

My squares are a solid granny with some small holes. I think it'll be ok.

Hey Stacie, which pattern are you using? I make grannies the traditional way. I'd love to get a different pattern.

Thanks Meegan :crocheting

Hey Stacie, which pattern are you using? I make grannies the traditional way. I'd love to get a different pattern.

I guess I don't really know if you'd call it a granny square. I call any square that is worked in rounds instead of rows a "granny".

Here's the pattern that I've been using. It's easy to follow and it makes a neat diamond design.

http://www.heartmadeblessings.org/patterns/BobbysSquare.asp

I should add that you'll want to check your gauge. The pattern calls for a G hook, but when I tried that the squares turned out too small. I'm using an H hook, and my squares are 11 1/2 inches by 11 1/2 inches. I'll be edging them before I join them, so it should turn out 12 inches. If you're making an entire lapghan, the size isn't that important, but if someone else is joining your squares, you'll want to makes sure they are the 12 inches that sissie requested.

-Stacia

I guess I don't really know if you'd call it a granny square. I call any square that is worked in rounds instead of rows a "granny".

Here's the pattern that I've been using. It's easy to follow and it makes a neat diamond design.

I should add that you'll want to check your gauge. The pattern calls for a G hook, but when I tried that the squares turned out too small. I'm using an H hook, and my squares are 11 1/2 inches by 11 1/2 inches. I'll be edging them before I join them, so it should turn out 12 inches. If you're making an entire lapghan, the size isn't that important, but if someone else is joining your squares, you'll want to makes sure they are the 12 inches that sissie requested.

-Stacia

Are you doing the ch-4 at the corners? I started that one (frogged because I couldn't remember if I used H or I) and the corners, anyplace that had the ch4 actually, seemed really big and loopy to me.

Are you doing the ch-4 at the corners? I started that one (frogged because I couldn't remember if I used H or I) and the corners, anyplace that had the ch4 actually, seemed really big and loopy to me.

Yes, I'm doing a ch-4 at each corner. The corners do seem "loopy" when I first make them, but when I do the next round and put 4 dc in them, they look much better.

I'll admit that I do make pretty tight chains. The number of chains in the corners isn't really important, so you could easily adjust it.

-Stacia

Hi Sissie. Just wanted to check in and let you know that I'm working on a lapghan and my step sister is working on squares. I noticed that you are in Martinsburg, I make a trip out to Harpers Ferry every fall so maybe we can meet up out that way. I'm not sure when hubbys vacation is this year and fall is a long way off, but just a thought anyway.

I'll definitely send along a lapghan (or two, or three, ...) I've made several for the nursing home both of my in-laws are in - I know the residents love them. PM with your address and I'll get to work!

oh thank you so much:hug:hug

this is going to be a great christmas for them all I can feel it thanks to all you great people here:manyheart:hug:hug

hugs,

sissie

As an Activity Director for Long-Term facilities, I can agree that lapghans are wonderful. Last year I was able to get enough, between fleece, quilted, and crocheted, for each of my residents to have one. I can agree that a lapghan is enough, even for those not wheelchair bound.

Count me in for a lapghan .... and don't be surprised if I ask for one back :devil.

OH! I won't make a granny square type, I'll make a whole lapghan. I know with residents that are confused (as most are), sometimes they may get their hand, toe, foot, brake, etc., caught in it and have a fall. :eek So I'm asking all who participate (and who participate at other senior living centers) to please be careful with the "hole" size.

PM me your info, so I can get to work on it :hug

thanks for the advice on the hole size I had not thought of that:eek

and anytime I can help you out PLEASE just ask I will be here:manyheart me not going anywhere :lol

Thanks for the advice sara elaine! I'd hate to cause harm with a well meaning gift. My squares are a solid granny with some small holes. I think it'll be ok.

I've finished one square sissie! I'm making you a 36" by 48" lapghan with 12" squares.

-Stacia

great thanks Stacia. if you are like me then your granny square hole size will be small. I do not care for big holes in the things I make so when doing a granny I use the H hook and no chain between my DC's

My mom is helping me out on this too. :D

Doesn't that make it so much nicer to be doing something like this with your mother? I wish I were near my mother so we could things together:(

I am getting together with two friends once a week for lunch and crocheting on these:) that is fun also

I forgot to tell you Sissie the one I have made so far is like the one I sent for the cancer awareness afghan square. And my mom makes tiny holes in her grannies. If that square I made is not ok let me know so I can take it out & remake it.

you did the white one right? if so that was really a nice looking square:) can't wait to see how much we get for it:)

Hugs,

sissie

thanks for the advice on the hole size I had not thought of that:eek

and anytime I can help you out PLEASE just ask I will be here:manyheart me not going anywhere :lol

If my family does what I'm hoping we'll do this Christmas and adopt a family, then I'll be reminding you that you said this :lol:hook

I like that pattern :cheer you can also check out

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php they have lots of square patterns there also.

-Stacia

Hi Sissie. Just wanted to check in and let you know that I'm working on a lapghan and my step sister is working on squares. I noticed that you are in Martinsburg, I make a trip out to Harpers Ferry every fall so maybe we can meet up out that way. I'm not sure when hubbys vacation is this year and fall is a long way off, but just a thought anyway.

That would be great!! I would to meet you

I think i am about half an hour from Harpers Ferry not far at all:)

Do you have family here that you come visit?

Archived