tips for preventing pain and carpal tunnel

Hi all,

I'm really starting to get the crochet bug!! i've been crocheting all weekend, but I'm starting to notice pain going down my yarn holding wrist, and when I stop after crocheting for awhile those fingers are quite stiff. My hook holding wrist also gets a bit of a burning sensation at times.

Anyone have any tips/stretches I can use to help combat the problem?

Thanks a lot!

:crocheting

I was having similar symptoms and went to physical therapy for possible beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome. They gave me some exercises to do and I found them on the net. The following link will take you to a place that has some exercises. The ones they taught me are in figure 2. You might try those - they helped me.

http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/19/14/19.html

Caroline

I bought a pair of the gloves that are supposed to keep your hands from hurting. They do help some, but because I lay my work down fairly often to do other things, they are bothersome to put on and take off frequently. So I usually wear them only when I know I won't have to stop every few minutes to check on dinner, or have my hands in water.

Hi all,

I'm really starting to get the crochet bug!! i've been crocheting all weekend, but I'm starting to notice pain going down my yarn holding wrist, and when I stop after crocheting for awhile those fingers are quite stiff. My hook holding wrist also gets a bit of a burning sensation at times.

Anyone have any tips/stretches I can use to help combat the problem?

Thanks a lot!

:crocheting

If your hands hurt. Stop. Rest your hands, stretch the muscles before starting up again, and dont do any marathon crocheting. Stop and take breaks a few times an hour if you're going to do some marathon crocheting.

Yes, learning to loosen up when you crochet really does help. Doing any project that calls for a tightly made fabric will cause or aggravate all kinds of problems with hands, wrists, arms, necks and shoulders.

Working with multiple strands and the very large hooks can cause the same.

I have found that supporting my arms makes a huge difference, especially on the side with the hand in which I hold the hook.

I'd say take a break for a few days if you're in pain. Then, when you resume...

Lots of breaks! I crochet for a 1/2 hour, then take a 15 minute break, 1/2 hour, 15 break, etc.

Also, don't ignore pain. Go see a doctor if it persists.

I have a support for my wrist only. I like it because it still lets me have freedom of movement and I don't have to worry about removing it to do other stuff.

I got serious pain about 8 years ago. I found that wrapping athletic tape in an 8 (eight shaped) around my wrist really helped a lot with computer work and crocheting.

The athletic tape is sticky without being painful to remove.

After the birth of my son, I was crocheting like a mad woman. Ended with me getting surgery for carpal tunnel.

Limit your crochet time. Set a timer if you need to. Take breaks. Listen to your body. Start with somewhere between 30 minutes to 1 hour of crochet and take a break. If you feel numbness or tingling, take a break more often.

Wearing splints can help when you aren't crocheting. Mostly CTS is from repetitive motion so you need to change things up. The easiest way is to stop what you are doing. Wear the splints when typing etc...

I finally got back into crocheting and must keep that in mind. It's so easy to forget and just keep hooking. Good luck!! Stay healthy!!

I agree with the taking breaks and resting the wrists, and the stretches. I have found that extending my arms to just below shoulder height and doing wrist circles, in both directions, with palms up and palms down helps. Also, finger circles. Also, hanging upside down like a slinky. (aka rag doll exercises)

If I take good care of myself with sleep, water, exercises, stretches, rests, and prayer times, then there's more strength overall to support the neck, back and extremities. It seems to be a question of balancing.

All the best to you.

Thank you for the good info. I too get the hand, neck, shoulder and arm pains. I'm going to try some of your remedies. I also always have to have my right arm (hook hand) supported with a pillow.

I agree with the taking breaks and resting the wrists, and the stretches. I have found that extending my arms to just below shoulder height and doing wrist circles, in both directions, with palms up and palms down helps. Also, finger circles. Also, hanging upside down like a slinky. (aka rag doll exercises)

If I take good care of myself with sleep, water, exercises, stretches, rests, and prayer times, then there's more strength overall to support the neck, back and extremities. It seems to be a question of balancing.

All the best to you.

I forgot to write that I do arm circles with whole arms, too. Feet shoulder-width apart, bottom tucked. Impulse for the circles comes from the origins of the arm muscles from the spinal column (rather than thinking shoulder blades or shoulder joints). Small circles with palms up, and also palms down. Make sure you're inhaling or exhaling rather than holding the breath.

Getting my spine and back and tummy muscles stronger takes the pressure off the neck and forearms.

I'm a big fan of Callanetics, too. Also, I like to go for strolls, just because it's calming.

Hope these helps. It takes some deliberate effort every day not to store worries.

• 2 weeks later...

smaller hooks are harder to hold. I have found that pencil grips help (the foam kind). If the grip is to big wrap the hook with a rubberband then put the grip on. It is also helpful when teaching kids to crochet. It makes the hook easier to hold. Some of your biger craft stores have gripers for hooks but the last time I looked they were more expensive.

All these suggestions are a big help! I haven't had the pain in my wrists or fingers for over a week, because I stop frequently and do the loosening exercises. I am also concentrating on crocheting a bit looser.

Archived