Question about wrist warmers and fingerless mitts...

I love the looks of these, there are so many pretty patterns, but when do you wear them? I live in New England, and if you need something warm, you wear gloves or mittens. Does this sound like a stupid question? I don't mean it to. I am genuinely interested. Is this something that people in other parts of the country wear, or is it just me that gets cold fingers?! lol.

Thanks, all!

Lynn

I live in a cold part of the country, and I was thinking about making a pair to wear under my gloves. I have a pair of men's work gloves that keep my fingers toasty warm, but do nothing for my wrists because they're rather short. I thought if I had a pair of wrist warmers to wear while I wore the gloves that they might do the trick!

I wear my *all the time* once it gets cold (below 60!). My hands tend to get *very* cold all the time so I wear my while working on the computer, crocheting, sleeping, pretty much anytime I'm not doing something where I'd need to wash my hands (i.e. handling food, potty breaks, etc.). I have 7 or 8 pairs in various colors, 'weights' and yarns. Mine are very simple and custom made to fit my hands/wrists - I like my with a long wrist section and just over my first knuckles for additional warmth.

I was wondering about this too, in the past the only time I have seen them was by musicians so they could still practice! lol

But they would be good when crocheting, writing and as a mom I think they could be good to have under my gloves or alone so when I messing with the kiddos buttons, etc I won't be as cold.

Also working outside in the winter time I've found when tending animals or messing with tie downs, etc. gloves just don't work but my hands get very cold. These would be nice for then too.

I have very poor circulation in my hands and feet as a result of diabetic neuropathy--but it's not really practical to wear full-fingered gloves while you're trying to read, or crochet, or cook dinner, or whatever. I find that if I can keep my actual HAND warm, my fingers stay reasonably warm, too. So, I love fingerless gloves--I can stay warm and not-tingly and still do the stuff I like to do!

I have a good thick pair of wrist warmers I wear with some finer gloves that I wear once in a while. They provide extra warmth and cover my wrists while letting me have the benefit of gloves that don't impede my use of fingers. I made a thumb hole but no finger slots, just an opening

They are very warm. done in a sc ribbing stitch. Love them

I prefer to wear my wristwarmers while driving. I'll also wear them in the office when it's got a 'chill' to it. My son is in Kosovo and their office is very cold so he wears his while working on his computer. They aren't good if it's really cold outside but on a lot of days I can wear only them instead of gloves.

~ Debby

I haven't made mine yet but keep meaning to.

I need them in my den while on my computer. In the summer it's the coldest room in the house. In the winter it's still the coldest room in the house. My hands get like ice and typing with gloves or mittens on just isn't going to work.

I even made me a shawl to wear in there and hope to make a few more for varity. A blanket is good on my lap but it doesn't cover my shoulders so most times I put on my robe or zip up hoodie.

I haven't made mine yet but keep meaning to.

I need them in my den while on my computer. In the summer it's the coldest room in the house. In the winter it's still the coldest room in the house. My hands get like ice and typing with gloves or mittens on just isn't going to work.

I even made me a shawl to wear in there and hope to make a few more for varity. A blanket is good on my lap but it doesn't cover my shoulders so most times I put on my robe or zip up hoodie.

It would be neat to make a shawl with wrist warmers attached. I've seen something like that out there.

could be fun to try :think

I wear my wristwarmers/fingerless gloves when driving and at home when using the computer. They are surprisingly warm and I can really tell the difference when I take them off. I made mine using 100% merino wool in DK (Sport) weight - they are very soft but I did need some shearing elastic for the cuff area to stop them sliding down too far.

It would be neat to make a shawl with wrist warmers attached. I've seen something like that out there.

could be fun to try :think

Be sure to post a picture when you get it finished! :devil

I wear mine when I'm working in my office. I don't usually move around a lot when I'm studying so I keep them around. The floor I work on at the school is also kept cold so I wear them to work to and still have the fingers to do what ever needs to be done for the kids.

Thank you, all! I think you've convinced me!!! They would be great for the school runs (which I have to do three times a day because of a half-day kindergarten). Thanks so much!!!

They are surprisingly warm as they warm up your blood at the wrist.

Here in Sweden som people wear only wristwarmers when the temperature isn't yet down to the coldest.

I don't have a pair but I was thinking that they'd be nice on windy days when the wind blows up the sleeves of my jacket. One of these days.... another project to put on my list lol!

They're really great to wear at work for typing on the computer, filing, etc. I have arthritis in my hands that really hurts when my hands get cold. I made one pair of fingerless mitts with really long "cuffs" so my forearms would stay warm as well. I made them out of worsted weight yarn but I think my next pair will be made out of thinner yarn to reduce the bulk between the thumb and the hand.

I wear my fingerless gloves pretty much all the time--sometimes even when I go to bed at night because I run fans a lot of the time due to my asthma. I recently made myself a second pair, that covers all of my forearms. They're hot pink, but get the job done. That way, I can wear a shorter sleeve shirt, and still have my forearms, wrists, and hands kept warm while I work. I use my shawl a lot as well. As I said, I have to sit in front of fans a lot of the time and they really come in handy.

Archived