How do you hold your hook?

Raynaadi

I learned from "I Taught Myself to Crochet". A woman was watching me in a meeting one day and said, "I don't understand these young people and how they hold their hook" hahaha!!!! So I took a picture.

How do you all hold your hook?

hook.jpg

I hold mine like a pencil. I tried the 'overhand' method but it felt very awkward for me. OTOH, I know people who can't crochet any other way. To each his own!

Kinda like a paring knife. What's funny is, I had to get a hook and yarn to figure it out!

:lol I had to grab my hook and yarn to figure it out too. I hold mine like a pencil. Trying to figure out the other ways of holding, I tried the overhand method and just couldn't do that.

When I decided I wanted to learn crochet, I went to my mom who I knew did it years ago. She laughed :lol and picked up the hook and said I don't remember, she finally got adjusted and I tried to "copy" what she was doing, I couldn't do it that way. I came up with my own way :think, very similar to your picture. If my grandmother was still alive, she would probably tell me I was doing it all wrong, she was so fast and smooth, where I am slooooww and tense LOL but it gets the job done :crocheting

I hold mine like the picture. The hook and my hand are facing down. My mother learned the exact opposite. The hook and her hand are facing upwards. I dunno how she does it that way but she gets no speed and only manages to do single crochet so the position can't be right for her.

Archived