Keeping a notebook

Does anyone keep a notebook about projects currently being worked on, past projects, future projects, etc? Any hints on starting one? I need to get stuff written down so I can keep my head straight on what all I've got going on. I've been searching for information on this but haven't found anything yet. TIA for any advice on getting started.

I had started a notebook for my quilting projects many years. Keeping up the notebook didn't last very long. It was too much work. On the page I had the name of the pattern I was going to use, which book or magazine it was in, a sample of the fabric I was going to use, yardage requirements, start and ending dates, how I was going to put the blocks together, how I was going to quilt it, any notes along the way and a photo when it was completed.

I don't keep a notebook for crocheting because I don't have all the design decisions like I had in quilting. All I do is keep a small notebook of what I want to make this year. If it's a gift, I put who I was going to give it to. That's it.

I did see some posts by AmyS about a project page she had designed. Perhaps you can contact her.

Once I get some extra money for pictures, I'm planning on startong one. I'm going to be printing the pictures out with the patterns and notes, pinning them all together in a page protector in a binder.

Until I'm able to get that organized, I'm keeping track on Ravelry.

I do keep track of what I am working on day to day. I use those weekly planners.

I write the pattern name and who wrote the pattern. What book or web site etc...... yarn/thread. The brand an color an Numbers for lot reasons. Where I got it from. yarn store ,craft store or other. And Hook size.

I Do even write down daily what rows I have done.

And who I have gave it to. (or who stoled it).

In the back I have my fourm passwords written just incase.

Brenda <<<,who has even written out her complaints to self about having to frog a row or two.

i do keep notebooks to keep track of what i have on the hooks, also keep one for my sewing projects.. where i can keep track of measurements, legnth of time that it took to make it, alterations that i have made, etc. i also take pictures of each finished item to put with the pattern and notes that i have.. i keep everything together in plastic page protectors so i don't lose any pattern pieces for sewing, or anything else.

I keep notes for doll stuff...like how many chains to make if starting at the waist or bust...how many rows from shoulder to waist...waist to knee, etc. for different size dolls that I'm interested in. (Unfortunately I'm so disorganized that I usually misplace them....:) ) Currently I've been winging some items for Ellowyne (15 inch Tonner fashion type doll) and I don't have any other dolls quite her measurement, nor any patterns for her. So far I've made a skirt, halter type top, a dress and simple knit tube dress that I intend to crochet a collar for and attach. Of course, none of it has snaps, etc. yet, but I only started on her this weekend. I find notes useful in these instances. Other than than that, and if I'm making my own simple pattern or tweaking an existing one to my liking, I don't write anything down.

I keep a crochet journal in a Word document - basically just to keep track of my projects, what yarn I used, what pattern, what hook, when I started and finished it. Unfortunately I sometimes get behind on updating the journal, and by the time I get to it I can't remember the details of a project anymore! :D

I also keep a word document going as a journal. I keep it basically like a diary and I keep track of what I am working on and add in pictures of finished objects (and progress pictures too). I note who is the recipient too (or if it is for me). I also print out the pattern I am using and write all sorts of little details on there and take notes on that as I am working. I note what kind of yarn I used (if different that what is recomended) and I especially note the size of hook I am using. If I put it aside for a bit I have the hook size info right there when I pick it up again. I also keep track of the number of rows I've done and such on the printout. It usually lools pretty messy by the time I'm done with it though :lol I keep all my patterns in a binder - divided into sections - WIP, WIM and FOs. The WIPs have the pattern kept with the project.

I also note what I'm tracking my crocheted works in a notebook that cost 1$ ! ;)

I made a point (euh... or pledge? sorry, I'm not sure of the word... ) with myself, last year, to write down each pattern I'd try or create.

So, all the plans I make and the final results... no pictures though because they are on my blog. I just stick some pieces of threads, my swatch and gauge pieces and so on.

I got some inspiration for this notebook here, on About.com (searching in "art journal" topic).

I find this is very empowering and helpful when you want to learn from you mistakes but have, like me, a limited memory. :bow

So, it does not need to be expansive. You can use a school exercise book, some sheets in a binder, a blog, a file in your computer or your pda, etc... As long as it is convenient for your style.

I'm thinking about using some kind of a file card system so I can take the cards with me. Any projects I take with me to my daughters are all kept in one plastic container so I won't lose the cards. I'm going to the store shortly to see if I can find something to keep the cards in. A file box wouldn't be practical. I'll get back to you on what I decide.

I have three spiral bound notebooks that I write out my patterns in as I'm creating new things. I have one for doll/bear clothes and toys, one for what I call "ME" clothes, and one to write it all out in as I'm working (tend to change things and write in ink, so I write it in one, then clean it up as I write it into the other one). But I do like the idea of keeping tabs on what projects I'm working on, since I can never do just one or two.

I try to take a picture of everything I make. That way I have a record of it. I also have a small notebook that has what I have made and the date. I think I am going to start writing down how much yarn I use and any changes I have made it the pattern.

Just one notebook!?!!?

Actually, I write my patterns in a notebook when I am working on them.

Afterwards, I highlight the pattern name in case I have to go back to them.

My notebooks also have future projects mixed in with the pattern... so I have to use stick on tabs to mark them.

It may not be the best way for all, but this works for me.! :)

Just one notebook!?!!?

Actually, I write my patterns in a notebook when I am working on them.

Afterwards, I highlight the pattern name in case I have to go back to them.

My notebooks also have future projects mixed in with the pattern... so I have to use stick on tabs to mark them.

It may not be the best way for all, but this works for me.! :)

Yes, just one, however you don't want to know how many notebooks full of patterns I have. I usually got through 2-3 notebooks a year.:hook

If I'm creating a pattern, I have a notebook that I keep all my scribbles in (ok, 2 or 3 going). I also have a simple lined notebook (slightly smaller than the ones for 10c every Aug) which is divided into 2 "subjects"...in that Ikeep a log of what I've made, (name of project), approx when it was finished, and where the design came from. I separate by month, and year...then if I feel like I'm getting nothing accomplished, I can look and see. (The other half of that book has a reading "log" (book, grade (A+ down, based on if I like it) and author. also I note if I read it for book club or not.)

No notebooks/journals with px, and project notes though.

Archived