Full spectrum lamp

I got married last year and we're still futzing around with making sure both of us are comfortable when watching TV. Naturally I'd like to have enough light to crochet. We're having a problem position a lamp so that it doesn't make a bright spot on the television.

I was wondering if one of those full spectrum lamps like Michael's sells would have less glare and more direct light. They seem like they could adjust so that the light is almost on top of my work.

I LOVE my Ott light and don't know what I would do without it. It is really nice to have the true color light and still keep the rest of the room dark enough to watch TV. I have the floor lamp but have debated getting a smaller one that would sit on the table as well as be more portable....

Sara

I don't have an Ott light, but I do have a full spectrum. My husband LOVES it. No glare on the t.v. and I can see my work! I got mine at Menards for $20! Oh, it's also the floor lamp.

I don't have a ott light but I do have the full spectrum lamp and I like it alot. I can see the stitches now. My husband bought it for me for Christmas. He paid $50.00 at my local discount store. I've seen it at Herrschners for the same price but I only pd tax which was cheaper.

Carol:hook

My husband had bought me the one that sits on the table for christmas and I couldn't see the stitches too good so we took it back for the floor lamp. I like it waayy better.

Carol

I LOVE my Ott light and don't know what I would do without it. It is really nice to have the true color light and still keep the rest of the room dark enough to watch TV. I have the floor lamp but have debated getting a smaller one that would sit on the table as well as be more portable....

Sara

I have the full spectrum lamp that I just love. I got it as a christmas present and I couldnt be happier with it. I can see my work and he can watch tv without the glare. I like it because it is a lot like sitting outside in the sun but without the heat or bugs!

I got married last year and we're still futzing around with making sure both of us are comfortable when watching TV. Naturally I'd like to have enough light to crochet. We're having a problem position a lamp so that it doesn't make a bright spot on the television.

I was wondering if one of those full spectrum lamps like Michael's sells would have less glare and more direct light. They seem like they could adjust so that the light is almost on top of my work.

Everyone I know who does close work (everyone but me, that is :lol) seems to have an Ott lamp, and they RAVE about them! Joann.com is having a sale on them this week, too. If it's a full spectrum lamp you want to try, go to a pet store. They sell full-spectrum bulbs in their reptile/fish departments because reptiles need to bask in full-spectrum light to be truly healthy. That would probably be the cheapest way for you to get the full-spectrum lamp, because you could just buy a bulb and put it into one of your own lamps.

Elle

I'm also often struggling to get good light to work with, without that nasty glare.

I love your idea Elle of trying a bulb from the pet store! I had no idea you could buy such a thing, I thought you had to spend millions on a special lamp all together.

Could someone tell me please, what is an OTT lamp? I've never heard of them.

I'm also often struggling to get good light to work with, without that nasty glare.

I love your idea Elle of trying a bulb from the pet store! I had no idea you could buy such a thing, I thought you had to spend millions on a special lamp all together.

Could someone tell me please, what is an OTT lamp? I've never heard of them.

You're welcome, Laura. The full-spectrum bulbs are quite a bit pricier than normal light bulbs, but not nearly as expensive as purchasing an entire lamp. Here's a link, though, to the Ott Lamp site so that you can see what they're like: OTT-LITE Technology - Home

Elle

I have a daylight lamp that was bought at Lowe's. It is a floor model and the lamp part is like a hood.....but my husband still complains that the light causes a reflection in the TV. I sit probably 10-15 feet from the TV and you can still see the light reflected in the screen. As far as being able to see my work with it....it's great....

I have a Verilux with a goose neck. It's a floor model and you can adjust it so that it doesn't shine on the TV.

I gave up on the OTT. I had 3 of them and each one was defective.

What's a Verilux?

I have three OTT lights and two of a different kind. They all work great but my original OTT light is ON right next to me just about every single night. I have had it for at least 5 years (I truly believe it to be much longer than that) and have only replaced the bulb once. I LOVE it and couldn't imagine trying to crochet without it.

Archived