Crochet Books - a "GOOD" one

Does anybody have any suggestions for a good crochet book? I am looking for something that has a lot of stitches with easy to follow directions and pictures. It is easy to find new stitch patterns online, but if I could find a good selection of "different" stitches in a book, there might be one I like that I normally wouldn't know the name of. :think

Thanks in advance!!

I don't know which one to suggest :think

I just wanted to say 'you can't beat a book' :book

The online stuff is fantastic but a book is an invaluable tool.

I just get any crochet book available at the library, you can learn many things from different books.

:hug

"Crochet Inspiration" by Sasha Kagan has lots of close-up pictures of stitches and motifs with written directions AND symbol charts. Donna Kooler's "Encyclopedia of Crochet" has even more stitches and pictures. I've also checked out "The Crochet Stitch Bible" at the library before and it's small, but has lots of stitches.

I second the library idea--check all the books out you can and when you find one you like, buy it.

If you don't mind paying a few bucks...there's the Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches from Readers Digest that I have found useful for different patterns. Instructions are fairly easy and you have a combination of different styles (knit, tunisian and crochet). The book breaks it down further to medium/heavy weight yarns and open lace and other stuff. Nice pics to follow too.

My suggestion is to check out all the crochet books they have at the library. If you find one you like, you can check how much online. I actually bought most of mine this way. You can usually find good deals at Amazon. Etc.

(In fact, I had to STOP this practice b/c I was buying too many books!:book)

I think the "Teach yourself visually crocheting" is a great source.

But check out your local library.

I've heard the old "Harmony Guides' which Interweave has brought back were good.

Also heard good things about the 'Stitchonary'(sp) series and a Vogue book.

I second the recommendation for the 365 Crochet Stitches Perpetual Calendar -- of course I'm prejudiced because I am the co-author! But it really does have an amazing variety of stitches, all shown in color. You can find it on Amazon, and we have some banner ads about it running right now on the Ville. You can click on the ad and find out all about it.

Jean Leinhauser

If you don't mind paying a few bucks...there's the Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches from Readers Digest that I have found useful for different patterns. Instructions are fairly easy and you have a combination of different styles (knit, tunisian and crochet). The book breaks it down further to medium/heavy weight yarns and open lace and other stuff. Nice pics to follow too.

I have this book and it definately one of my "go to" books when I need a jolt of inspiration...

:ty to everyone... I didn't even think about the library :blush !!

I have to go to town anyway today so I will check it out. I actually thought about the perpetual calendar too, but haven't stumbled upon it in the store yet (we only have walmart close by...no good craft or yarn stores :( )

I did look on Amazon but :eek there are sooooo many to choose from.

:hug 's to you all for great suggestions!!

I have to say that the library is the way to go and also if you do find one you like, don't forget to check out if you have a half price book place or used book store cause you can get a book for a fraction it would cost normally. I liked the stitch n bitch series the author does a pretty good job on the basics and the teach yourself to crochet visually is a great one as well. I have one at the moment I like called, Crochet your way by Gloria Tracey and Susan Levin. I like it cause it actually gives left handed instructions and since I am a lefty it is nice not to have to reverse it in my mind. lol. Goodluck.

I second this recommendation:yes. It was my 2nd crochet book purchase and has been a great resource. It also lists how different stitch patterns drape which I find very helpful.

I like Donna Kooler's "Encyclopedia of Crochet", it really helped me out went I was trying to figure out the front and back post stitches. It had pictures of what it looked like done right handed and left handed, that help alot since I'm left handed.

101 Stitches for Afghans by Jean Leinhauser

The Crochet Stitch Bible by Betty Barnden

63 More Easy To Crochet Pattern Stitches by Leisure Arts (leaflet 2146)

63 More Easy To Crochet Pattern Stitches by Leisure Arts (leaflet 555)

Scripture Afghan by Leisure Arts (leaflet 2770)

I borrowed "teach yourself visually crocher" from my local library, I thought it was so good, I went and bought it. It was so handy, lovely clear pictures and instructions.

Hope you find something that you like as much.

Cheers

Chantelle.

Archived