should I start all over again for a too narrow afghan?

Should I start over a too narrow afghan ?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should I start over a too narrow afghan ?

• Yes, since Xmas is 11 months away!
    • No, afghan is almost finished just need widening!

I posted a thread about my ripple afghan for my uncle which was unfinished for Christmas. It's now measuring 34" x 80" . Since it's too narrow and I was planning to widen it after I'm finished with the length, should I start over since I have time if I plan to give it to him for next Christmas? This is the second afghan that I started that turns out too narrow. The first one I'll be giving it to my ds2, this second one maybe I'll keep it for myself? I seem to have a problem in chaining loosely, I just can't seem to chain loosely. The ripple afghan starts with chain 183, my neighbour who then started using the same pattern after me and have since finished 4 afghans while I'm still on my second always have a afghan which is at least 6 inches wider. I use 6.5 hook and she uses 5.5 hook.

Should I start over? I appreciate all your replies! :) Please answer the poll!:)

Thank you!

Leng

You could work along the sides in plain old double crochet for a few rows on each side to give the afghan a "frame". That would widen it some. I have made ripples before that had that as part of the pattern.

Also, on the chaining tightly part you can up the size of the hook for your foundation chain. Say the project is done with a H hook, you could do your chain with a J. I usually only up it one size, but I don't crochet tight.

Hope this helps!

:crocheting,

Lorry

I think ldyer's idea is a good one. Also, in the future, you could learn the foundation (double or single) crochet stitch, which gives you your foundation chain and first row of stitches all at once, so you could see right away if its wide enough.

I think it would be too difficult to make the afghan wider considering it is a ripple afghan. I say start over, recycle.

Sounds like you crochet very tight all together if the entire afghan is too narrow. Maybe you could add on to the amount of chains to begin with. This way you have a wider afghan without a noticeable "fix"

I have a friend that I crochet with that also crochet very tight. We tried to make a granny square afghan for her mother and couldn't because her squares were less then 4 in and mine were 6 inch. She ended up making matching pillows and I made the afghan. But if I need socks I ask her to make them hehe very warm

Good Luck

:hug

I really needed another option for your poll. I would just frog until it is about 45" long and consider it a lapghan. You can choose to give it to your uncle or donate it to a nursing home. Or you could keep it a bit longer and make a pocket for the feet to sit in for a person in a wheelchair. :D

I think it would be too difficult to make the afghan wider considering it is a ripple afghan. I say start over, recycle.

Sounds like you crochet very tight all together if the entire afghan is too narrow. Maybe you could add on to the amount of chains to begin with. This way you have a wider afghan without a noticeable "fix"

I have a friend that I crochet with that also crochet very tight. We tried to make a granny square afghan for her mother and couldn't because her squares were less then 4 in and mine were 6 inch. She ended up making matching pillows and I made the afghan. But if I need socks I ask her to make them hehe very warm

Good Luck

I thought of increasing the chain but I don't know by how much, it's the basic ripple with 10 sc then 3sc in the same chain(peak) then 10 sc and skip 2sc (valley). I think I'll be better off learning to crochet socks since I crochet too tight !:lol

I thought of increasing the chain but I don't know by how much, it's the basic ripple with 10 sc then 3sc in the same chain(peak) then 10 sc and skip 2sc (valley). I think I'll be better off learning to crochet socks since I crochet too tight !:lol

Sometimes, if I'm not sure just how many to chain, I'll make a super long chain , more than even I know I'll need, then whatever is left I just pick out the knot and unravel the chain to my work. :blush

10 sc then 3sc in the same chain(peak) then 10 sc and skip 2sc (valley)
Yeah you know.. there it is.. 25 extra chains per rep. so if you want 2 wider do 48 extra chains etc.. 4 wider do 98 .. (deducting the last 2 for the valley because you are finishing off) so forth and so on.

I do like Amyjk and usually will put in like 5 or six extra chains jic (just in case) then pick out the knot if I don't use them.

Whatever you choose I am sure you'll do great ..

I have one that is too narrow also. What I am going to do is do two panels of extra ripples following the same color striping pattern and then sew one on each side of the original afghan. Call it a design feature!

I love that idea!

Sometimes, if I'm not sure just how many to chain, I'll make a super long chain , more than even I know I'll need, then whatever is left I just pick out the knot and unravel the chain to my work. :blush

This is what I do with almost all of my afghans now! I say almost because the one that I am working on now is a diagonal box stitch, so it has no starting chain. hehe...

Good Luck

I agree. Just use some multiplication with the numbers giving to you. This is what I do. I never use the instruction chain numbers. I always multiply my own chain numbers.

:cheerIf the piece is 34 inches wide and 80 inches long, I assume you are working long rows, rather than short.

The best thing to do is keep on going, repeating, in reverse, the colour scheme you already have.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

:cheerIf the piece is 34 inches wide and 80 inches long, I assume you are working long rows, rather than short.

The best thing to do is keep on going, repeating, in reverse, the colour scheme you already have.

Have fun.

How do I repeat in reverse? Thank you!:)

:cheerJust repeat the colours in reverse and you will get a blanket which starts and ends with the same colour.

I am just assuming you have used more than one colour so make sure you have enough of each.

If you can tell us exactly what you have, or post a pic if you can, I will have a go at explaining how you can best increase the size of the blanket.

Have fun.

:cheerJust repeat the colours in reverse and you will get a blanket which starts and ends with the same colour.

I am just assuming you have used more than one colour so make sure you have enough of each.

If you can tell us exactly what you have, or post a pic if you can, I will have a go at explaining how you can best increase the size of the blanket.

Have fun.

I wish I know how to post pic! :thinkMy afghan is made of 1 ball of Canadiana navy, 8 rows of grey and 4 rows of white yarn. It starts with 183 chain. It now measures 34" x 80".

Do I just finish with the length and then turn it the other way and crochet from the end to the beginning of the afghan say for 1 more peak and valley for the ripple on the width ? I'm trying really hard not to do another 2 pieces and attach them on both sides of the afghan. I'm also hoping not to start over from scratch!:eek

Thank you!:)

I agree. My first thought was depending on color, frog it down to a baby/kids blanket size and donate to Project Linus.

I really needed another option for your poll. I would just frog until it is about 45" long and consider it a lapghan. You can choose to give it to your uncle or donate it to a nursing home. Or you could keep it a bit longer and make a pocket for the feet to sit in for a person in a wheelchair. :D

I'd start over. But I can't stand it when things don't work out.

You might try to use a hook two or three sizes larger than the one you use for the pattern. There are some yarns that I have to do this with for my foundation chain.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

If you are working from the short side of the rectangle to the other short side (not from long side to long side), I had the EXACT same problem. I was had about 3/4 of a rainbow ripple complete when I realized it was too thin. Since I changed colors often and I cut the ends, I had a lot of ends to weave in. I knocked out two birds with one stone by just adding a border to the long ends. You might need to make the border thicker than I did but it's so super easy and it looks great!!!

Actually, I think I made this one too small on the short side because the last one I made before it was too long on the short side. In fact, when it got long enough to cover me, I just turned it sideway (long end became short end and vice versa) and called it done. :D

Archived