Laura Ingalls Wilder Doily

Jaded Moon

Question

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I received my copy of the Jun/Jul 2003 Crafts magazine and the graph is not in this magazine.

:cry, Oh Well. Thanks for trying.

I emailed the website too, so I am still keeping my fingers crossed. :P

Here is a link to Belinda Carter's other books, (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/104-1109462-7267916?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Belinda%20Carter) published by Annie's Attic (though these copies are on Amazon). Maybe if we contacted Annie's Attic, we could get in touch with Carter? I'll send an email to AA.

As I understood it, Coats and Clark have had the pattern all along--probably the magazine paid to use it, or had their permission in return for advertising...or??? Who knows? In any case, there is no reason to assume (or hope) that they are planning to make it available. Perhaps someone in the US could call (the numbers are on their website) and ask permission either to post the pattern elsewhere or share copies of the chart.

It is, indeed, meant to be crocheted with size 30 and is quite large even in that thread size (I think the pattern calls for 1000 yards?). But it's perfectly doable--I did a filet pattern not long ago in size 30--it just doesn't work up *fast*.

Here is a link to Belinda Carter's other books, (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/104-1109462-7267916?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Belinda%20Carter) published by Annie's Attic (though these copies are on Amazon). Maybe if we contacted Annie's Attic, we could get in touch with Carter? I'll send an email to AA.

Just heard from Annie's Attic. They don't have the contact information to reach Belinda Carter.

I have worked in fine thread, even down to size 60, with crochet; so I'm not put off by #30 at all! I do hope that one day it's reprinted, and then I can arrange to buy the booklet. I am overseas also, so chasing these patterns is always a bit of a challenge.

OMG!!! I found a link that gives you the graph for the pattern but I didn't want to post it until I know if it is ok. Is it Amy????

Michelle

Now that we know that Coats and Clark purchased the pattern from Belinda Carter, who created by looking at the original Laura Ingalls Wilder doily, the answer is: you can only post the link if it is to an original Coats and Clark company link.

Coats and Clark now apparently owns the copyright to this new pattern chart, and they have sole say on when, where, and how it can be posted.

Okay, despite all my requests NOT to post links to this pattern, yet another link was posted (and not to a link on the Coats and Clark site, the copyright owners), exposing Crochetville to the risk of legal problems related to contributory copyright infringement.

As I said in an earlier post, if the links keep being posted, I might have to close and/or remove this thread entirely. Since so many people have been reading this thread with great interest, I've decided I'll get too many questions about it if I just remove the thread. So I've removed all links to the pattern other than the original source link (which doesn't work).

I am closing this thread so no more links get posted. If anybody receives a response from Coats and Clark about the availability of the pattern and would like to update the thread with that information, please send me a PM. I'll be happy to open the thread up long enough to post that information for you and the rest of us.

I have the chart and realized "gee this is one huge piece". It's 104 open meshes across and looks like about 100 rows. The chart I have is actually quite hard to read the squares are very tiny to fit on the page and I decided not to start as I would have to re-draw the pattern on my filet software to figure it out. I just thought I'd let you know how big it is and it's written for size 30 thread so those of you who really don't want to tackle a huge project won't feel too bad about not having the chart. I imagine if I did it in size 10 thread it would be too big to put in my house anyway.

Well I received my copy of the Jun/Jul 2003 Crafts magazine and the graph is not in this magazine. There is a pattern to make a filet clothes hanger. At the end, it says, now try something more difficult. It has a photo of the doily we're all craving to find with a link to the now-defunct magazine. So we're sort of back to square one.

I haven't received responses to my emails to the museum or the magazine that took over Crafts magazine. But it's the holidays. They could be on vacation. But if we don't hear from them by the first week of January, it's safe to assume we won't.

Oh well, happy holidays anyway. 8_2_77v1.gif

Despite all my posts in this thread addressing the potential copyright issues involved with this pattern, I've had to delete a couple posts with offers to send copies of this pattern to other members. If anybody else posts anything that appears to be an offer to send copies to other members, I am going to remove this thread.

I hope someone can figure out if there is a way to get this pattern. It would be fun to do a winter CAL of this doily.

Not to change the subject, but have any of you been to the museum? I have been there a couple of times (I live about 60 miles from Mansfield), it's not a huge museum, but so interesting. Then when you go through the house, it is like stepping back in history, especially if you were a fan of the TV series.

One thing you will find is that both Laura and Alonzo were very short people. Her wedding dress is in the museum and looks like it would fit a big doll. I don't think Laura was even 5 foot tall and I think they tell when you go through the house that Almonzo was only about 5'2". I am 5'8" so standing next to the counters on the kitchen cabinets, they are way below my waist, :lol.

Rose never had any children, so it is sad to find out there are no living relatives of the Ingalls.

Perhaps it is actually a technical broken link. Did you try writing the webmaster to check on it? They might not know that it is a broken link and may be able to fix it. You could check with them . In the past, I've found broken links, emailed the webmaster or host and they didn't know that the link was broken. Within a few days, the link was fixed. HTH Pam

When we first discovered that the link was broken I did a little investigating into the root directories and the directory that is referenced by the link no longer exists. It was under a "crafts" directory on their ftp site and that directory is not available. Found lots of other cool stuff, but not the chart. Since it isn't even on there, the link can't just be reconnected. They are going to have to find it on their network and then re-post it on the ftp site for us to get access to it.

Sara

I saw the magazine on ebay too, so I wrote and asked the seller about the pattern. She has just replied to me: she said that the doily is talked about in this issue, but there is just a link given to the online chart, and, as we now know, that link is broken...:cry:cry

Oh poo. Well maybe the copy I'm getting will have something else worthwhile.

I really love this and I am dying to make it :hook. But the link for the chart is broken :(. Would anyone know where I could find the chart?

Laura Ingalls Wilder Doily

Isn't it Beautiful!?

Perhaps it is actually a technical broken link. Did you try writing the webmaster to check on it? They might not know that it is a broken link and may be able to fix it. You could check with them . In the past, I've found broken links, emailed the webmaster or host and they didn't know that the link was broken. Within a few days, the link was fixed. HTH Pam

I saw the magazine on ebay too, so I wrote and asked the seller about the pattern. She has just replied to me: she said that the doily is talked about in this issue, but there is just a link given to the online chart, and, as we now know, that link is broken...:cry:cry

Well if the museum and/or magazine doesn't reply, I have an original copy of the June/July 2003 Crafts magazine on the way to me. If it's in there, we'll all just have to snag copies of that magazine!

My fingers are crossed that it is going to be in the mag. :D

Ohhhhhhh I want the chart pleaseeeeeee anybody.

As I said previously in this thread, since the chances are good that this pattern is now under copyright protection again since it has been published recently, we cannot risk any issues related to copyright infringement. So we cannot allow any distribution of this pattern to occur through Crochetville (post, PM, email) until we have information from the magazine and/or the museum about any existing copyrights on the pattern.

I also want to remind everyone that in addition to copyright law concerns, it is a violation of Crochetville's guidelines:

1. to distribute a copyrighted pattern without permission via post, PM, or email; and
  2. to request another member commit copyright infringement by sending you a copy of a copyrighted pattern without the written permission of the copyright holder.

If the book, or chart, pattern, whatever it is, were available, I would happily buy it. If the people who hold the copyright choose not to republish a wanted design, and there are many people interested in making this doily, what are we supposed to do?

It's just not common sense - at least, I don't think so. I would be willing to listen to a reasonable explanation of the whole issue.

Not to sound snarky, but if a copyright holder chooses not to make a pattern available for whatever reason, there are only two things to do. The person who wants to respect US federal copyright law will simply choose to do without the pattern, no matter how badly they may want to have it. Another person may choose to disregard US federal copyright law and commit copyright infringement by sharing the pattern without permission, but then they face the risk of heavy legal fines for each copy of the pattern they shared without permission if the copyright owner decides to sue them.

Donna and I have decided that, here at Crochetville, we will choose to respect copyright law and not allow any unauthorized sharing of copyrighted pattern through any Crochetville service (post, PM, email).

I understand that in the online community there is always going to be much made of not violating copyright. But it seems illogical to me, that if a pattern is no longer in print, and someone has a copy of it and offers to lend me the book, or share the pattern, that I am being "dishonest" by accepting, and the person with the pattern is equally being "dishonest".

If the book, or chart, pattern, whatever it is, were available, I would happily buy it. If the people who hold the copyright choose not to republish a wanted design, and there are many people interested in making this doily, what are we supposed to do?

It's just not common sense - at least, I don't think so. I would be willing to listen to a reasonable explanation of the whole issue.

The good news is that a couple of ladies on here DO have the chart, they just don't know if it would violate the copyright laws to share it with us. Hopefully we can get it figured out and they can send the chart to all of us. :hook

Sara

Ohhhhhhh I want the chart pleaseeeeeee anybody.

Well if the museum and/or magazine doesn't reply, I have an original copy of the June/July 2003 Crafts magazine on the way to me. If it's in there, we'll all just have to snag copies of that magazine!

I never really paid much attention before when I print off patterns but if it was copyrighted would it not have that information on the chart?

No, the copyright notice does not have to be there in order for copyright protection to be in place.

Since the pattern has been published recently, it is most likely (speaking as a non-attorney) going to be considered copyrighted. The question is whether the museum or the magazine is the owner of the copyright. The magazine may have reprinted it with permission of the museum, in which case the museum would still own the copyright to it.

Somebody requested some input from admin, so here it is: if you have a copy of the actual pattern chart, please do not distribute it or share it with anyone else. Since we have good reason to believe this pattern is protected by copyright, it would be a violation of Crochetville's guidelines to share copies of the pattern at the present time.

Hopefully, Ellen will hear back soon from either the magazine or the museum. Unfortunately, if she does not get a response, that lack of response does not imply permission to share the pattern. Lack of response must instead be interpreted as "no permission" to share the pattern.

Archived