handmade stitch markers?

I've been reading through the RAOK wishlists and have noticed people asking for handmade stitch markers. Could anyone provide me with pics, links, or an idea of what these might look like or how you make them?:think

They look like this:

il_430xN.10607965.jpg

The clasp for crochet stitch markers are different from the knit stitch markers. For crochet, the marker needs to open and close, and for knitting, it is just a ring that can be slipped on the knitting needle. These are very very easy to make and the variations are endless! I made some with letter beads for my hooks. Now, when I begin a project, I immediatly place one of these on my work (the marker made with the letter bead) and now I never have to wonder what hook I was using on what project! I often have several projects going at once, so this really helps! Oh, you can also make them with coiless safety pins too. I'll have to find a picture of those.

thats a great idea, about the lettered markers! I did that with the last few projects "...now what hook was I using??" Oh great, now I'll have to learn to bead (darn, time to go to joann's again! lol).

If you make the markers using coiless safety pins, you won't have to "learn" to bead! It's a no-brainer! Get a few small beads in a few different colors and a pack of letter beads and I actually found a pack of NUMBER beads and they are AWESOME for counting off rows on projects! I made markers using the numbers 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30--I can make more as I need them. Anyway, gently bend the pin open and slide on a bead or two and then the number or letter bead and then another bead or two, then gently bend the bead back, dab a bit of glue near the curve of the pin to hold the beads in place and you've made a stitch marker! Easy and inexpensive! Fun too!

I made mine with the earing hooks.... but i went to the bead store and got numbers beads.... cause I am always wondering which row I left off on. I love the idea of the lettered ones with the hook size! I may have to attach two to my work... that way I know what hook and what row!!! LOL

I've made some of the letter ones. I just use the small coloured safety pins but one thing that I have done is if I am using a lighted hook I add the letter L so then I know I am using a lighted hook not a regular one. I will probably do the same thing for my bamboos as well. :crocheting

Wow, those are so pretty. I have only ever used regular safety pins, and to keep track of what row I'm on?... a note book with the numbers checked off...

But those are very pretty, I want to make some too.

I too wanted to know how to make stictch markers. Off to AC Moore I go and wander the beading section. :thinkHead pins--check, lever back earrings--check, pliers--check oh wait look a "tool kit for beginners" that is cheaper to buy than the seperate pieces ok check, now for beads, OMG where do I start.. oh look a large container of varied beads ok that will work. Now to the counter, pay with DH's credit card :worried and home i go. It was easier than I thought and now my markers are more complex and loads of fun. Just experiment with beads, charms and other interesting things and you will find your "style"

I have done them with lanyard hooks:

set9.jpg

and they work really well. But my favorites are like the ones pictured becasue they are lightweight. (I got them in a swap and they have leaves on them. so pretty)

I also like stitch markers because people ask about them since they are pretty. :)

I might just have to make me some of these. I've not yet had an actual use for stitch markers yet (I've only made 3 no-pattern scarves, and one blanket afghan that you go-until-it's-big-enough type thing)...but I'm sure I'll need them once I start actually following specific patterns. I'm going to make these after we get home from Christmas with the inlaws!! :clap I love crafting projects.

I've made some with lobster clasps (the kind for necklaces or whatever, but the bigger, not round catch) and some with the closable earring backs (like post 2)...those are my favorite. easier to get on the yarn or thread...and doesn't catch the yarn like the lobster clasps can (Plus, those are heavier) But depending what I'm working on, sometimes those are actually better :lol I now have a mini version of the three drawer thing (about 1/5" deep, and 6 x6" drawers) with all my yarn marker supplies...

which reminds, I need more of those earring clasps...after the holidays, I'll have to start watching the Hobby Lobby flyers again. (I'm staying out of those stores right now..."being 'have" (sounds like hay-v") as my daughter says)

i need to get some of the lobster clasps and the earring thingies to make up some more, after the holidays i am going to check out the charms at michaels and hobby lobby.. as well as the beads. i have found yet another new craft for me to do.

Making markers can be as simple or as complex as you like and it's fun to try all the combinations. They're great to put into the loop you're working with when you have to stop, it keeps it from accidentally pulling out the last row or two of stitches... Also, when making wearables, they're great for helping line up seams.

I really like the ones with the lever-back earrings. They are easy to insert, stay closed and don't tangle too badly. Lobster claw ones will do, especially if I'm going to be setting something aside for a while (like the back of a sweater while I make the front).

and here all i have been using is a safety pin talk about behind times now where did i put that checkbook ooooo debit card hobby lobby here i come o no this is christmas time bad time for me to go into hobby lobby or michaels christmas items are just as bad as yarn with me pouting i don't want to bring the watch dog (husband) with me crying

Archived