Help Please! Your Warmest project ever!

Hi all! I am in desperate need of a quick christmas project for a DEAR sweet cousin of mine. She is i Grad schoo in a VERY cold place!!! She likes earth tones and is into a very urban/vintage style. Any suggestions for your favorite super warm, cozy patterns would be VERY appreciated. Especially this close to Christmas :eek

thanks a bunch to any helpers!:clap

n

Try a 3SUB. I use an N hook and use three strands of yarn together. You randomly change colors as you want but you could easily plan it to be in specific colors. I did chain 150 and all double crochet to fit on a double bed. It is thick and very warm! And very fast to make - the big hook and three strands of yarn go very fast.

Here is a picture of the one I made. I randomly changed colors as a skein or ball ran out (it's also great for a stash-buster)

th_DSC06705.jpg

Oh that si a great idea!!!:clap I am thinking about maybe a cowl, earwarmers, and fingerless gloves set. That way she can wear those things UNDER her coat and gloves (I'm sure she has some) and still keep them on when she get's inside of the building? I wish I could find a neat combination hat/earwamer thing that you could take apart of wear together...

what about fiber? would 3 strands of warm cotton work, alpaca, is wool just warmer? Or maybe I should go with a bulky wool ease, or handspun.. Oh, I have so much to learn! :think

wow, they do look warm, but afraid they aren't quit feminine enough. I fould a pattern online today for a hat with optional ear warmers, perfect! but it was in knit and it's too late for that. Maybe I can find a hat and ear warmer crochet pattern...

n

Wool. It's definitely warmer. And, I've read that when wool gets wet it gives off heat as it dries! If your cousin is not a person who will handwash items you can make it of superwash wool. I would suggest KnitPicks superwash line. It is reasonably priced and works up beautifully. One caveat: it will shrink a little bit vertically with the first wash so measure a swatch, wash it and determine the percentage shrinkage before you complete a wearable project.

Good luck!

Homespun makes beautiful scarves and sweaters and there are bunches of patterns out there for it.

Be warned though you have to use a larger hook (at least a K or larger) and you have to feel for the stitches. I have a love/hate relationship with the stuff :D

i made the warmest afghan ever! Q hook and 2 strands of lionbrand homespun. single crochet. it worked up pretty quickly for an afghan.

it's so warm, i made it in april, and we just started using it this week. it's too warm to use unless it's really cold out.

In my opinion:lol--I would crochet a hat and scarf. For me, that would be the quickest option(as it is, it is getting too close to Christmas:eek)!!

Have you checked out crochet pattern central.com?? There's loads of ideas there!!

My warmest project was a hat I made with 2 strands of a bulky yarn and one strand of Fake fur. I only used the fake fur because a friend insisted that I had to be 'gifted' with a fake fur scarf.

This hat is actually too warm but I sure can't complain about the cold at the bus stop.

Best afghan I ever made was 4 strands of ww and a Q hook. P would work too. Then a chain about 65 long, and go till it's long enough. (I usually work in sc or hdc for that one). If you're planning the colors out...you need 3-4 of the 6-7 oz skeins each...Or figure on about 24oz per color. Big enough even for DH Who's 6'5" :) Takes me a couple weeks though.

if you need faster than that, I'd go with scarf and hat (and mittens). I'm in crochet pattern central right now, and they have TONS of hats.

my :2c

My warmest was one of those 3SUB afghans. Used an P hook, 3 strands of yarn, single crochet. Very warm.

2 Strands of yarn also work up warm and quick. But really any pattern, using multiple strands of yarn and a large hook works. I've done 2 strands and a P hook in double crochet for super quick ones. I don't like 3 strands for a P hook (too tight) and I'm not a fan of the super fat Q hook.

Debbi

another homespun warning...maybe I had a bad batch or something, but it did NOT wash well...came out all funny and matted and yucky...a pair of slipper socks...this was years ago, so maybe they've improved?

another homespun warning...maybe I had a bad batch or something, but it did NOT wash well...came out all funny and matted and yucky...a pair of slipper socks...this was years ago, so maybe they've improved?

Everything i have ever made with Homespun has washed up beautifully. Cold water and just a few min. in the dryer. I take it out of the dryer though befor it gets completely dry. Usually it's drying things too long or too hot that really messes them up

Archived