Need input from Florida Crocheters (and other warm climates)

I FINALLY got my winter issue of Interweave Crochet yesterday and I was looking through it and bemoaning the fact that all my family lives in Florida and don't need many warm clothes.. and that they can't wear wool.

When suddenly I had an inspiration. Take a look at the Northern Bloom Pullover (hopefully it will take you directly to it.. if not you may have to scroll a little). Since it is made in two pieces.. why couldn't I just make the over layer for my sister(s)? They could wear it over a long sleeve shirt or a tank.. as the weather requires. What do ya'll who are in Florida (or other always warm climates) think of this idea??

My next problem is that the pattern asks for a mohair yarn. Well, we're not going there.. they can't wear it.. I can't work with it ... too much sneezing on their and my parts.

Anyone have any idea on yarn subsitutes? I have enough of a vintage very thin acrylic fuzzy yarn in pink to make one pullover.. but I don't know that any of my sisters would wear pink.. lol. I do have some dazzelaire.. but I think it would be too thick. Any ideas or suggestions??

Well I'm in Texas & yes I would wear it :manyheart I don't remember the last time I wore a winter coat just sweaters & hoodies.It's 81 here today doesn't feel much like Christmas but if someone made me that beautiful sweater I'd wear it.There's a mohair type yarn made by Red heart I don't remember what it's called but it's alot like Patons Divine.

Oh yeah.. I remember that yarn. and going blank on the name of it too.. rofl. It's been on sale a lot recently too.

Thanks for the feedback.

(Warm here too.. I had to turn on the a/c this morning. Where's the cold front they were warning us about?)

It all depends on where in Florida you live. I live in north Florida and I can honestly say, we do get cold. South Florida doesn't seem to get as cold as north Florida. In December, January and February the temperatures in north Florida have been known to get down as low as 0 degrees. Most of the time it will only go down into the teens. Luckily those kinds of temperatures don't stay around for very long. They last just long enough to remind me of why I live in the South.

Although the lacy overlayer isn't my style, I would wear it when it got cold.

It all depends on where in Florida you live. I live in north Florida and I can honestly say, we do get cold. South Florida doesn't seem to get as cold as north Florida. In December, January and February the temperatures in north Florida have been known to get down as low as 0 degrees. Most of the time it will only go down into the teens. Luckily those kinds of temperatures don't stay around for very long. They last just long enough to remind me of why I live in the South.

Although the lacy overlayer isn't my style, I would wear it when it got cold.

Well Laurie, they're probably further north than you as they are in Seminole Country.. (Go NOLES!!) >grin<.

I was thinking of just the overlayer for the longer time span of use..and for the fact that I have 3 sisters, 1 sister-in-law and 1 daughter I would need to make one for.. lol.. can't leave anyone out. :)

It snowed in N. Florida the year I was born. We have pictures to prove it!!

I am here in Central Florida. It is usually a day or two, when we wear long sleeves.

Right now it is 83 degrees and the air is on.

I would go with something very light. This could be made with a fingure weight, even a sock yarn, unless you want it to be fluffy.:hook

I am here in Central Florida. It is usually a day or two, when we wear long sleeves.

Right now it is 83 degrees and the air is on.

I would go with something very light. This could be made with a fingure weight, even a sock yarn, unless you want it to be fluffy.:hook

TampaDoll, I think you work with the Elmore-Pisgah line alot.. Do you think their Petal spun would work with this? The Kidsilk that the pattern calls for is a DK weight, which is just a little bit heavier than fingering, but not yet WW.

I love the halo-ey look of the mohair, but that can be a booger to work with, when you have to frog (and I always do at least a little) it's tough sometimes to get it to turn loose.

I also wonder if Moda Dea Dream would work. I have a little bit here.. somewhere in this rats nest of a yarn stash.. If I can find it I'll try swatching it (something I never do.. this will be a first).

I have no imput on the subject except to say you lucky ducks! It's gray, cold, and rainy here.

Yes, but you get to wear and make lovely winter clothing. And you should SEE the insects we get down here when it's not cold enough to freeze them back!!

I'd definitely wear it! Florida does get a little chilly sometimes... plus, it would be comfortable in air conditioning, I'd say.

That's a good point on the A/C. I didn't know you were in FL Rachel. What part if you don't mind telling? If you do, I understand and apologize for putting you on the spot. :)

Well, I swatched the Moda Dea Dream (wasn't as hard to find as I thought) with a J hook and the width between the stitches is right.. but the height between the puff stitches is short 1 inch... no matter how I measure it.

Off to reswatch with a K hook. Which is what they told me to use in the first place, but I didn't want to disturb DH to get at my hooks.. lol.. serves me right.

I live in south Texas, and the weather is almost always warm here. It has been up in the 80s all this past week. We only get about three weeks a year (from the very end of January until the middle of February) of very cold weather (into the 30s at night and not getting out of the high 40s/low 50s during the day), and I would wear this. I think it's very pretty! Since they live where it's warm, why not do it in a very lightweight cotton or even in thread? That way they could wear it just about all year long.

Elle

Yes, Seminole Country does seem to get a tad colder than Gator Country (who, by the way, has bragging rights for this year, 45-12) which is why they might need both layers.

Here's an idea. You can make the overlayer for Christmas and then give the underlayer as birthday gifts.

I live south of Tampa in Cape Coral...

I would wear it, possibly even year round. Offices get a bit cool during the summer and sometimes it's nice to have something light weight to throw on.

We wear hoodies and denim jackets in January. My 8 year old son wears scarves, hats, and gloves at the bus stop in the morning when it's still windy and cool outside. We all wear sweaters/sweatshirts when running around town sometimes too.

I am a bit north of rsiland...I'm in Port Charlotte, and we definitely get our sweater weather! Granted, it doesn't last that long, but I look forward to it all year long. I love sweaters, and as soon as I think I can get away with it, I wear 'em...

I am in south Texas, weather here has just gotten down in the mid 70s today. Although it gets cold sometimes, it's pretty few and far between.

I think it would work just fine. I know a few people that would definitely wear it that way! It may even work with something that's not fuzzy, for a beach cover-up or something.

I'm in Central FL and it gets chilly here (atleast for me). My thought? Who ever you made it for would love it. Looks like something light enough even to wear during the spring and fall evenings when the chill is still in the air. Have fun making it!

I'm in NW Florida (go Noles!!!!!). Even though I live close to the coast, we do get the occasional cool weather. It's supposed to get into the 30's tonight, but right now it is in the 70's. It looks like something that could be worn year round, if they are indoors with A/C on, like me.

I have not worked with the petal spun, but perhaps this thread will help with that question.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63893&highlight=Petal+Spun

I have worked with the sports weight 940C and it is also soft, but it will not be as fancy. Teh petal spun is a bit shinnier.

With the Moda Dea Dream, it may just need a change of hook size.:hook

Archived