Your "Black Friday" purchases

I got some Paton's Merino wool for a project I've got in mind. It'll be a large(ish) project, so I'm buying the wool when I can get it on sale. I did very well yesterday! 2 skeins for $6, and 20% off that! I got about 12 skeins, I think. :yay

I'm headed back in a few minutes because I decided to change a color, and I might as well go while they're on sale so I can pick up a few more! :lol

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My very favorite purchase of my long, tiring day, though, was my long-desired Patons Soy Wool Stripes (SWS). I've never been able to justify buying it at $6 a skein but Michaels had it on sale today for $4.79 and, before 9am, a coupon for 25% off the whole purchase. So finally I have 6 skeins of my lovely SWS in my hands at last!!!! I can hardly wait to try my hand at felting. Maybe after Christmas when all my gift-making is over for a while!

Off topic, I know (sorry) - but I didn't think soy felted.... does it? :think I always heard that you needed 100% wool to felt.... :think:think

I didn't go shopping at the malls for Black Friday, just don't really need anything, so we jumped across the border into Mexico for Taco and I bought me a new stained glass for my 1/2 moon window at home. I have been going to buy one for years but never found the one I wanted....but did yesterday....so it was a good shopping day after all.....took almost 2 hours to get back across the border....it was so crowded...

Off topic, I know (sorry) - but I didn't think soy felted.... does it? :think I always heard that you needed 100% wool to felt.... :think:think

Good question.. I've wondered that myself. And it's too expensive for me to try the experiment.

I've seen some gorgeously lovely felted things using SWS. So I've been vigilantly checking sales each week for the last several months, hoping it'd go on sale some day. It finally paid off! I'm so excited to finally have some. An early Christmas present for myself. :D

I went back to JoAnn's and Michael's today and got more Patton's Merino for my WIM. I'm not going to start it until after the holidays, but I couldn't pass up the sale prices!

I also got a knifty knitter long loom set for only $10 at JoAnn's! (I used a 50% off coupon). I don't know what I'll do with it, but I'm always intrigued by those things! :lol

I have to add to my list. Just spent $37 more on yarn at JoAnn's. I am so bad! :lol I just hope my husband doesn't ask to see my receipt. I got:

* 10 skeins of Wool-Ease in forest green, for my mother for Christmas: it will be a hat, scarf, and mittens from Crochet Garden's awesome Rugged Mountain collection.

* Two more Caron pounders in midnight blue and white. I needed another claret, as well, but they didn't have any. This will be for an afghan for my brother for Christmas.

* A skein each of Bernat Satin in white and pink. I've never seen this yarn before. It feels so soft!

* A giant skein of Sensations red boucle. I never have plans for these ahead of time, but they look so cool in their shaded variegations that I can't resist buying them. I'm sure I'll find something to do with it.

my black friday goodies:

6 skeins patons grace

1 skein homespun

Positively Crochet!

Crochet Stitch Bible

111 Easy Edgings

2 skeins peaches and cream

3 crochet hooks

Fabric and Tacky Glue

2 foam sheets

BEST THING ABOUT IT ALL: My mom and mother-in-law bought me almost all of it! (I only spent $8 of my money and later in the day my mom gave me $10!)

I also got a knifty knitter long loom set for only $10 at JoAnn's! (I used a 50% off coupon). I don't know what I'll do with it, but I'm always intrigued by those things! :lol

off topic....i love my knifty knitters that are round. so i bought a kit with all the long sizes. i was going to make a scarf. i was VERY disappointed with it. the stitches were VERY loose. so i took it back.

but don't let that discourage you if it doesn't work out for you. try the round ones. you can make flat panels with the round ones too.

off topic....i love my knifty knitters that are round. so i bought a kit with all the long sizes. i was going to make a scarf. i was VERY disappointed with it. the stitches were VERY loose. so i took it back.

but don't let that discourage you if it doesn't work out for you. try the round ones. you can make flat panels with the round ones too.

Thanks!

I have the round ones, and I've made a couple things. I tried a long(ish) loom last year, and I was disappointed with the loose stitches, too. But since then I've seen a lot of instructions online and in booklets about different stitches that take up the slack. I think I'd be happier with a different stitch - and heck, for only $10, I could resell it on eBay if I decide I don't like it! There are several looms in the package, so I'm sure I could resell it.

But thank you for the advice! I love that there are so many people here willing to help each other! :manyheart

Thanks!

I have the round ones, and I've made a couple things. I tried a long(ish) loom last year, and I was disappointed with the loose stitches, too. But since then I've seen a lot of instructions online and in booklets about different stitches that take up the slack.

which stitches? i'm having the same problem.

My daughter makes scarfs all of the time with her round one. You just only go as far around as the width of the scarf you want. Then, just go back and forth until it is long enough. :hook

I do NOT do the Black Friday thing!! Some people camp out in front of the stores all night to be first in line. It was cold here Thurs. night! No way am I going to sit wrapped up in a blanket in a lawn chair just to save a couple dollars. Traffic is terrible that day, people are rude and shove you around, parking lots are full and cars will run over you to get that empty space! And that's on normal days, esp. weekends.

I wanted to take advantage of Michael's sale, but decided not to fight the crowds. Was planning on going today, Sat. but it rained all day, and cold too, so I stayed home.

I know stores make their biggest profits that day, but I think it is ridiculous, this frantic shopping addiction people have nowadays. Why can't we have just an old-fashioned Christmas and give small things, instead of buying the latest electronic gadgets and stuff that costs more than my house!

I know stores make their biggest profits that day, but I think it is ridiculous, this frantic shopping addiction people have nowadays. Why can't we have just an old-fashioned Christmas and give small things, instead of buying the latest electronic gadgets and stuff that costs more than my house!

Although Black Friday is the busiest shopping day of the year more purchases are actually made the weekend before xmas.

i agree that the gift giving is running a muck, but i do like being able to afford things i normally can't for one day.

I do NOT do the Black Friday thing!! Some people camp out in front of the stores all night to be first in line. It was cold here Thurs. night! No way am I going to sit wrapped up in a blanket in a lawn chair just to save a couple dollars. Traffic is terrible that day, people are rude and shove you around, parking lots are full and cars will run over you to get that empty space! And that's on normal days, esp. weekends.

I wanted to take advantage of Michael's sale, but decided not to fight the crowds. Was planning on going today, Sat. but it rained all day, and cold too, so I stayed home.

Where do you live, exactly? I'm in East TX, too...in Groves - about 30 minutes from Beaumont. Although it is busy here, the people aren't rude. I've been in the crowds at 4:00 am, and I've left the house at 8:30 like I did this Friday. It helps to have a partner - a couple years ago a friend enlisted my help and we split up her list and kept in touch with walkie talkies! It was fun! I guess it's just all in the way you look at it. When my kids were small, I took all the doorbuster ads and just went to Toys R Us. They honor other stores' ads, so I did all my shopping in one place. Michael's and JoAnn's are not nearly as bad as electronics places. I've never had to line up there. Best Buy has gotten smart. They know how many of something they have in stock, and then go down the line outside and pass out bracelets for the items according to what the people are waiting to buy. They also pass out T-shirts and provide hot drinks. I've never waited outside Best Buy, but I know people who have...they say it's like a party, because after they line up nobody is competing for the same item. The wrist bands take care of that. On the news last year there was a picture of a group who brought a couch out there! :lol They just put their couch in line, and sat down!

I look at it like this: if I want to save the money, I need play the game. If I don't want to play the game, then I don't. But again - only the big ticket things attract the biggest crowds: electronics and toys. Shopping for craft things, clothes, and other gifts isn't that bad. I will say that the fabric cutting line at JoAnn's was crazy on Friday, but it wasn't rude - just long. I didn't need fabric, so I was in and out of there in just a few minutes with my 70% off wool yarn! :)

I'd planned on going out, but my youngest was sick all weekend and I was stuck here at home. I'm not much for shopping or crowds so it was pretty easy to talk myself into staying home. Those Michaels coupons were sooo tempting though.

I left the house around 10 and went to Kohl's and got some jewelry and some about 10 stuffed animals that you can record your voice on for the nieces and nephews. Then I went to JoAnn's, but it was a mess so I left and I went to a local thrift store and bought a few suit cases (my husband travels and his new one was destroyed by Southwest) and a few other niknaks and spend $10. Around 8pm I went back to JoAnn's and got about 30 yards of fleece so I can make crochet edged blankets for Christmas and I bought some Caron 1 pounders and I got this neat set of crochet tools from provo craft http://www.provocraft.com/products/detail.php?cl=knifty%20knitter&scl=&item=21-0246 which are really cool. I spent about $115 at JoAnn's , I am really blessed where as my husband doesn't mind how much yarn or other craft stuff I buy as long as I am happy.

I used to go out every year at 3AM, but I haven't done that in a few years. Though my ex-husband and I have made plans to go together next year, but not real early, we will leave around 6:30 or 7:00 next year.

Jules

I bought some yarn at Hobby Lobby - some ILTY and a couple others that I want to try since they were on sale, and then went to Michaels for lighted hooks and knitting needles that I bought with the $10 off a $40 purchase coupon. Then later went to Joanns with my mom and bought fleece for some blankets.

I did go out on black Friday and survived! I found some Christmas gifts at great prices, I got a new all in one printer that I needed, but I was happiest with what I found at Big-lots on Saturday. Yarn, of course. They had lots of patons, I got be mine, bohemian, glittallic, brilliant. Also found rh soft baby and bernat lulu. The patons and bernat were .88 (1.75-2.8 oz)and the rh baby was 2.00 (6 oz. skein).

Have a look

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/mva5493/?action=view&current=DSCN3831.jpg

Archived