I need Christmas HELP!!

Ok, today is Nov. 20th, :eek and I need to think of what kind of quick projects I can make for my in-laws and sibling-in-laws for Christmas!

Does anyone have any great ideas since I am such a procrastinator!:bang

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Jules

How about Christmas ornaments for their tree? These would be special and kept as heirlooms.

CPC

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/christmas_ornaments.php

Jan's stuffed animals (ornaments)

http://www.jmwjewelry.com/toys/cr/seasonal-winter.html

Some are for sale here and some are free.:hook

I really don't know your family or what they would like. For women Dishcloths are fast, or a bath room set with a bath mitt, wash cloth and a towel with some body wash.

hats/scarves work up fast as do slippers

I've also seen patterns for those bath poofs, I've made one didn't take too long.

Make towel toppers for seasonal hand towels

and i like tampa dolls idea for ornaments

Dish clothes! Swiffer shrugs (LINK), ornaments, pot holders, hats, scarves. Pick a big hook and a bulky yarn!

OR, you could actually tell them that you want to make something for each of them then have them pick the patterns and colors (from a short list). Basically you can take "orders" and then have a little more time to work on them. Within reason anyway. The items might be more appreciated/used if they have a chance to pick the item out.

Sara

I suggest slippers because you can make them up so easily. My husband loves his crocheted slippers. I also knit them so there is always a varity.

These are also great for using up those last bits of yarn hanging around.

These can be made for kids and adults.

Dish clothes! Swiffer shrugs (LINK), ornaments, pot holders, hats, scarves. Pick a big hook and a bulky yarn!

OR, you could actually tell them that you want to make something for each of them then have them pick the patterns and colors (from a short list). Basically you can take "orders" and then have a little more time to work on them. Within reason anyway. The items might be more appreciated/used if they have a chance to pick the item out.

Sara

Gosh! I do this with my sister all the time....

I ask "What do you want for your birthday?"

"OOoooooo, let me see what you are making lately..."

Neck warmers: knit or crocheted tube or rolled granny squares big enough for a microwave heat pack, frilly ends if it's for a woman

Computer wrist rest: also a tube, just big enough to hold a snack-size Ziploc of rice or flaxseed--can be warmed and are great for those with the beginnings of carpal tunnel

Slippers, as everyone else said :D...GMTA!

Crocheted baskets and bowls: I don't know if any of the patterns are online, but think of crocheting around clothesline to make the project go really, really fast. I have a couple of Christmas ones I need to get out soon..

One skein scarves are good. If you use a fancier yarn they look really impressive!

I found 2 skiens of the Bouce yarn makes a nice scarf. I found them at a dollar store at Christmas and made one for my cousin. But even at regular prices, it's not a bad gift and so nice. I did one while watching a movie, just used DC and a large hook. Very basic and easy and quick.

I did some this year (on my blog if you're interested) in the newest verigated and those scrafs turned out nice I think.

Dishcloths are nice.

I was thinking of doing some washcloths (bascially dishcloths but calling them washcloths) adding some bubble bath and scented lotion and putting it in a basket for some friends. I made some but haven't decided on doing this or having them dishcloths.

Slippers are nice. If you can find a pattern for 2 strands they work up nice. I used 2 strands for my aunts, one verigated and one solid color (no picture yet as I need to weave in ends... as usual:blush).

Bookmarks are nice, place in a card or book or even blank book.

Oh that reminds me, I saw a post where someone put a little embellishment on a blank book. Looked so nice! Just find a journal or blank notebook and you glue it on (not sure how), like a little flower or snowflake. Great gift idea I thought.

Small purses are quick to make. For young girls add a lipbalm. For older girls maybe a mini lotion or mirror compact.

For my friends daughters last year I found some fleece blankets with a whipstitch edging and used that as the base and crochet around it. You can do that to fabric too. There's links and help on here if you need it. These work up super quick. If the fleece is soft (most is) choose a soft yarn like Caron Simply Soft. Trust me, much better then Red Heart. And you can use white for all of them if you want.

Debbi

I use threads and crochet bookmarks using my lace edging patterns.

Cotton yarn makes for good washcloths for "spa" gift baskets, add in homemade bath salts (Epsom salts tinted with food coloring and essential oils) and a rubber duck or other bath toy.

Scarves are a good option, IMO. Last year we were working on moving at Christmas time, so I bought up black yarn in the clearance bins at my yarn stores and made scaves in every pattern I had for the family. I'm still getting rave reviews on those, lol.

Check out todays Annies Attic Free Pattern of the Day for today. Has something quick to give kids or even someone who collects teddy bears. If you ran out of time you could just do a scraf in holiday colors for the bear, but if more time maybe the mittens too, as those are so cute on the bear.

What can you do with just one skein? has some ideas you can do which should be pretty quick with just one skein of yarn.

What great suggestions!

I find pot holders & slippers are great for both gals & guys and hats, scarves,and mittens or little animals for kids/teenagers. Pincushions, coasters,toilet tissue toppers and covers for tissue boxes are fast and easy.. I love to cover pringle cans to look like candes ....... two inexpensive gifts in one. Patterns for all the things below were found free on the web. Half the fun of crocheting is the hunt for the pattern.

donutcircleicingsprinkllf5.th.jpgcrochetedbeehiveoe2.th.jpggingerbreadhouseex9.th.jpg

pringlescandleredcandlesw9.th.jpg crocheteddollpotholdersgz6.th.jpg

I forgot to mention (in my long idea post) that you could do cotton clothes for men or women. Single men need cotton clothes to clean with. how about some cotton clothes with some car cleaners? Just label them "Cotton Cloth". A simple SC or HDC would be fine and easy. I've done a bunch of those and bought some blue/white verigated to make some for my brother.

I find that scarves and hats make great gifts and they are very fast to make. I can usually make a hat in about 2 hours. I also find that small amigurumi items are very popular, and there are lots of patterns out there. If you made a wash cloth for someone, you could add a crocheted rubber duck. I know that someone on the forum posted a pattern for a really cute duck under the "Original Patterns" section.

If you use bulky yarn and a Q hook (those really big plastic ones) you can also make a throw fairly quickly, especially if you do a basic patter that is just double crochet, etc. You can always use more than one color to make it more interesting. I know that lionbrand has a pattern for the "5 1/2 Hour throw" that would be quick to make. And who doesn't love a homemade afghan?

I've also done 2 strands and an N or P hook. N hook if you crochet loose, like me, and do double crochet and it works up fast and nice and you can still use an aluminum hook. A P hook if you crochet tighter although it is a plastic hook, but I've used it and not as big as the Q. If you can, you can try 3 strands and a P hook, some patterns call for that.

Scrapy Afghan with P hook you can use this basic pattern with non scrap yarn.

Little totes or bags (add some lipbalm or compact or something to it if you want, maybe a surprise inside), Litlle Envelope Purse is super cute.

Dot's Little Ditty Bags is nice too. These would also be great for coworkers or someone who works and needs a quick lunch or break bag to carry money or credit card in. Or the Ditty Bag for the person who likes can drinks.

fingerless mittens, I saw LionBrand website has some Speed Hook tank tops (with an S hook and bulky yarn, could be made quickly), pillows... Maybe any WIP you have and finish it...

Oh if you missed Annies Attic pattern you can do just about any pattern. Maybe a baby hat to put on a bear, either in Christmas colors or any color. Add a scarf. And maybe some fingerless mittens? You wouldn't even have to do a bear, any stuffed animal would work.

Ginger's Easy 25 Minute Slipper Pattern. I haven't tried these, but they look pretty easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your help! I have gotten some really great ideas from here. This year with my kids and Hubby have decided to not "buy" any thing for each other for Christmas, but to make gifts for each other that show how much we love them. I am having so much fun! I am making my DH a long stocking cap (it goes down to his waist) in MU Tigers colors. He has been wanting one for a while. I am making 1 daughter some fingerless gloves/wrist warmers. And I am making the other daughter a mesh tank top with lace up sides. I am having so much fun with this! I have made my in-laws some fleece blankets with crochet edging, I really think they will like them.

Archived