would something like this take forever?

I was looking for stole patterns and came across this:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7745580

I love the drape that is accomplished by using lace weight yarn, but I've never worked with anything but worsted. I assume it would take much longer because of the lace weight yarn? I was thinking of attempting it as a Christmas gift for DH's grandmother.....

It would take me a long time....I really enjoy crocheting with thread or small yarn, but I guess I am not a very fast crocheter...or maybe I just spend too much time here instead of crocheting! :lol Personally, i think I would have time to do that shawl by Christmas, if I wasn't working on any thing else. I would probably look for a more open pattern if I wanted to do it quicker.

It will take longer than a WW yarn but look at the effect that you get with it. :c9

If you put the pedal to the metal you could probably finish it in time. It is a repetitive pattern so you could get going once you get in the "zone".

I would love to do one like that... my fingers may disagree however :wlol

I've worked with lace-weight and I just love it. It takes a bit longer but has a much more sophisticated look when done. I hope you try it.

What about this... If you like the pattern, make a swatch in the pattern using a light worsted weight yarn so you maintain a nice drape, then measure your swatch and calculate how much to crochet to make it the same size as the sample? I light worsted weight yarn that I like a lot is TLC Cotton Plus. It's cotton and acrylic so you can wash it, inexpensive (I buy mine on Joanns.com for like 3.00 a skein), shows stitches beautifully and it comes in really pretty colors. You could even use this yarn and go with a little smaller hook then recommended. Make yourself a swatch and see what happens!

All of my fellow 'Villers are right. But it would certainly be a beautiful shawl. And the drape looks wonderful. A question to ask yourself: "Is it worth the time and effort to make it for her?"

I made a similar shawl for my Mom using #10 thread and a steel hook (forget the size). I worked on it every day at lunch and in the evenings. It took about a month but it was so pretty when it was done. And my Mom loved it. Conclusion: it was so worth it!

It is absolutely beautiful.

It will definitely take longer, especially since you are combining the lace weight with a g hook, but it depends on you if it is worth it.

you could also possibly step it up to a dk weight (step below worsted) and an I hook to achieve similar results and would probably go a bit faster. Though how fast depends on your speed.

Well, I bought the pattern and yarn and will try it, but I'm not going to go crazy trying to get it done by Christmas. If it does, great. If not, I'll just hang on to it until her birthday.

Sounds like a good plan:hook You'll be satisfied with the finished shawl and won't feel stressed out. It is a pretty pattern. Have fun making it!

Wow, how beautiful! Thanks for the link to the pattern. I think once you get in the groove, it'll flow pretty fast, despite the thinner yarn. I think I may have to make myself one, it's so lovely. What yarn did you select? patty

I bought the same yarn they used in the pattern, Fearless Fibers Laceweight Merino in Mircale. :)

It's a bit lighter than it looke don my computer, I thought it was more like charcoal grey, but it's pretty light gray with purples :)

Archived