helmetliners for the Troops

Super Granny

I was asked to help with this charity by a friend of mine... I would gladly help but I'm alergic to wool and they are requesting wool helmetliners. The helmetliners are easy to make and I have included the site for anyone who would like to help.. you can get patterns for knit,crochet or machine knit... It even has an address to send them to...

Please use Adult Lg for helmetliner for troops

. Colors allowed by our military are tan, brown, gray, and black.

Please use soft 100% worsted weight wool yarn, so our troops are warm this winter. In addition, wool wicks away moisture and is non-flammable. The temperatures they endure are below zero in Iraq, Afghanistan, S. Korea and Kosovo.

http://www.geocities.com/helmetliner/

I am in the National Guard and we call this a Balaclava...

It is one of the most indespensible pieces of "snivel gear" (cold weather gear) that I have ever owned.

If you were wondering why they request wool, is that it is a great natural wind breaker, is fire retardant and it keeps you warm even when it gets wet.

I am definately going to pass this on to the girls I know...

Thanks a lot.

Super Granny, you beat me to it :)

The latest newletter from Lion Brand Yarn had a segment on this charity. I'd posted about it on my blog and came here to post about it, too. I hope we can generate a big response from the crochet community.

I just downloaded this on Friday, but since I'm doing the scarves for the Marines at the moment, don't think I'll particpate in this one. What a great idea tho'

last year i made 50 of them with some help from my friends and you all know who you are, and since i am allergic to wool i used acrylic, the soldiers who recieved them were very thankful and didn;t care if it was wool or not, so if you want to make some go right ahead and do it. some of us can not use wool. and this is why i did mine in acrylic, it keeps them warm i know as someone who can;'t use wool i did it my way you can too:D:D:D:D:D

The main reason why they ask for wool is that if it is lit on fire (say in an explosion) it will not melt to the skin like acrylic would. The troops don't really know the reason why. And since we appreciate anything we get, wouldn't even notice until (*knock on wood*) something bad happens.

SO, it does suck that some of you are allergic to wool, but please think of our troops safety and donate in another way.

Yes, please don't put our troops in further danger by ignoring the specifics of the request.

I got an email the other day regarding the helmetliners too. Yes, the wool is a bit more expensive, so I will be able to make fewer than if I used acrylic, but that's just the way it is.

The main reason why they ask for wool is that if it is lit on fire (say in an explosion) it will not melt to the skin like acrylic would. The troops don't really know the reason why. And since we appreciate anything we get, wouldn't even notice until (*knock on wood*) something bad happens.

:eek Something I'd not considered. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Since I'm such a visual person, does any one have a picture of a completed one?

Are they difficult? I'm realizing that although I know how to crochet, my problem seems to be with "following" the directions. I can read them, its just hard for me to follow since there can be a variety of ways patterns are written.

Thanks in advance if anyone can post a pic.

If you go to the first post and click on the link there is a link to a picture of a knitted helmetliner. I didn't see a picture of the crocheted version, but at least you can get an idea of what it should look like.

I went to Joanns today and wool is on sale this week (regular $6.99 sale $5.00)... one skein should make one helmetliner...

I am working on one right now, and when it is done, I will post pictures. I am sure my fiance won't mind modeling it for you ladies!!!

Since I'm such a visual person, does any one have a picture of a completed one?

Are they difficult? I'm realizing that although I know how to crochet, my problem seems to be with "following" the directions. I can read them, its just hard for me to follow since there can be a variety of ways patterns are written.

Thanks in advance if anyone can post a pic.

Pam has pics of ones she made last year on her blog, here.

You can google 'crochet helmet liners' for other sites that may have pics.

The instructions are relatively simple and seeing a picture can help. If you run into problems, I can't think of a better place to ask for help than this community.....or a greater bunch of cheerleaders when you've finished your project. :cheer:hug

I went to Joanns today and wool is on sale this week (regular $6.99 sale $5.00)... one skein should make one helmetliner...

I am working on one right now, and when it is done, I will post pictures. I am sure my fiance won't mind modeling it for you ladies!!!

Michael's has Paton's wool on sale 2/$7!! I know where I'm going tomorrow :)

I noticed the pattern calls for 6 oz. and the skeins are 3 1/2 oz., so I'd grab 2 just to be safe.

I noticed the pattern calls for 6 oz. and the skeins are 3 1/2 oz., so I'd grab 2 just to be safe.

Well that makes sense... since mine came up a little short! I used the Paton's Merino Wool - Natural Mix...

It matches great to the new Army ACU Uniform!

1880509917_0e252f9cb4_m.jpg

1881331248_a7b922a352_m.jpg

I guess that it is more like 1.5 skeins per liner....

I picked up some wool yesterday to try to make a few of these and will probably stop at Michael's to take advantage of the sale mentioned earlier (thanks!). Don't know if I will be able to squeeze them in before Christmas, though, with all my other WIPs. Does anyone know if there is a deadline for these or is it an on-going project? Can I make them all summer, too? Just curious. Thanks!

Sara

Sara, to my knowledge, there is no deadline. It's still relatively warm in Iraq, for instance, but will soon begin turning cold....their coldest months are Dec-Mar. That should give you an idea when they would be most needed. :)

According to the website, the only colors allowed are: black, gray, tan, brown and olive drab (NOT camo green). And they have to be 100% wool. Michael's has Patons Merino Wool on sale this week for 2/$7. Best deal I have seen anywhere!

Sara

According to the website, the only colors allowed are: black, gray, tan, brown and olive drab (NOT camo green). And they have to be 100% wool. Michael's has Patons Merino Wool on sale this week for 2/$7. Best deal I have seen anywhere!

Sara

Please be aware that these are the only regulation colors they are allowed to wear while dressed in their Cami Uniforms. Nothing else will be allowed while in uniform.

Please be aware that these are the only regulation colors they are allowed to wear while dressed in their Cami Uniforms. Nothing else will be allowed while in uniform.

That's why I asked.

SO, it does suck that some of you are allergic to wool, but please think of our troops safety and donate in another way.

You should ask whomever started the website to add the reasoning for wool items so us crafters are aware of the potential harm of acrylic items.

Supper Granny is right. If you look at all of the pages of the website, they do mention the reasons for wool a couple of times...

I even bought 100% cotton flannel to sew up some neck gators with the pattern on the website. I think that natural products are best.

As a soldier and a friend of many soldiers, I thank all of you ladies for taking the time to make these items!!!

Archived