helmetliners for the Troops

Super Granny

Well I made a helmet liner using the wool... I wore gloves and my hands were ok but my arms broke out... I wish I could do more... for those of you who can use wool please think of the boys over there...

• 2 weeks later...

I am working on my first helmet liner and I have a question. After the first 10 rounds or so the instructions say to continue until the piece measures 7 inches. Then skip the area for the opening and continue on. Is 7 inches really enough? It seems so small. Thanks for any tips you may have.

edited to add: Or does it need to be 7 inches from the center to the edge?

I am working on my first helmet liner and I have a question. After the first 10 rounds or so the instructions say to continue until the piece measures 7 inches. Then skip the area for the opening and continue on. Is 7 inches really enough? It seems so small. Thanks for any tips you may have.

edited to add: Or does it need to be 7 inches from the center to the edge?

It means from the center of the crown to the edge. In other words, it is 7" radius and not diameter. I fold the piece flat and then measure from the first round to the edge to make it easier since it won't really lay flat open.

BTW, I responded to your other thread as well, but I think I answered a different question....or at least that was the way I read it. :P

Sara

• 2 weeks later...

My son in law is in the Canadian military. I asked him if he'd like a helmet liner and he said yes!

So, I have made him a crocheted cap, using this pattern:

http://www.hankeringforyarn.com/crochet-along-easy-cap

and made him a pull up neck warmer that comes right up to his eyes if he wants it, but he can get it down out of the way when he doesn't want it.

I used handspun shetland wool for his.

He's pleased.

:hook:manyheart Noreen

Archived