GAAH!!!! stupid dark yarn.

:no i am making my dh a blanket for his fav team using their colors. it's a simple blanket in theory, you make shell strips then combining them with dc and sl st. only the shells are in orange and white, while the combining color is in navy blue. OMG i just wanna rip my hair out because I can't see the top loop in the stitch because it's so dark, and.... i am losing the detail because of the darkness of the yarn. :angry ok sorry just had to blow off some steam there. why couldn't he like the chargers?? that way i could use lighter colors. :lol ( it's da bears btw that he :heart)

I'm with you on the dark yarn. Denver Bronco's are Dark Blue, Orange and White - DS is a die-hard bronco's fan - everything has to be those colors - UGH!!! Why they ever changed from light blue to dark I'll never understand!! Don't even start with a Spiderman Venom round ripple!!! AWCCKKKKK

My mother always used to say, I hate working with dark yarn, I can't see the stitches! I would say oh Mom, there is no difference. Well now I am the one complaining about the dark yarn. So I just look up to the heavens and say Mom, you were right, and then I turn on the light a little higher or try the lighted hook. But mostly I avoid the dark yarns.

If it wouldn't look too tacky, can you put a strand of white or orange thread in with the navy blue? I'd consider anything from #10 cotton or nylon thread, depending on your main yarn, to sewing thread which would give you a little more visibility & not be as apparent as the #10.

Just a thought - I tend to think out of the box. (A friend of mine says I set the box way out in left field before I think out of it.:lol)

The other posters had great, probably more practical suggestions; I was just trying to give another option.

When I use dark yarn I find that crocheting in natural light by the window helps.:)

I didn't know there are lighted crochet hooks! :P

Here is a picture of the hooks. I got mine at Joann's and I got one from a swap.

http://www.maggiescrochet.com/pages/Supplies/crochet_lite_hooks.htm

I am using an F hook, I think part of my problem is that I did the slip stitch row too tight so that is making it difficult too. grumble. I think I will just modify that part of the pattern since I loose the detail with the dark yarn anyway, there is no point in worrying about the sl st detail.

Couldn't you do the joining in orange or white and then use the navy blue for a border. I hope it gets better for you.

now it's rows of shells that are orange and white with blue joining otherwise it's bright overload. I am not really too concerned about the detail since it is a dark yarn no one will notice unless they pick it up and examine it with a bright light and magnifying glass. :lol really I will just loose the sl st detail, which will make my job way easier. :yes

The only remedy I've found that really works comfortably for dark yarn is to only work on it in daylight. There's just something about it that makes a huge difference in being able to see the stitch detail without strain.

Real Deal

Shelly

do you have any light that is like natural daylight?? I have one that is similar to the newer OTT lights that JoAnn's now has on sale -

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/search_results.jsp?CATID=cat1002&keywords=ott+light&_requestid=631717&eid=1191558032313_623134_21030983&page=page3

It is so helpful I can't even tell you! I have one that is for crafts and sewing and I put it right over my work when using dark fibers and what a difference!!!

I bought myself one of those bendable office lamps for my crochet table... Okay, it's my end table that got covered in yarn. I got myself a very bright lightbulb (one of those energy efficient swirlygig kind) and have it set where the light is directly on my yarn. I find this helps with the darker yarns like black since I'm testing the Witch Frizzy Head doll outfit.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

I have my reading lamp in my living room so I can see the stitches. Got it cheap at Wal-Mart. Made a HUGE difference for me. I've been using dark yarn too and this lamp has helped so much. It's a floor lamp with a flexible arm lamp on the pole. Position where you want and however you need it.

I feel your pain. I am working on a queen-sized ripple afghan in black wool as a commissioned project. I tried to talk him out of it. "Wouldn't you prefer a lighter, more tropical color and yarn?" (We are in Hawaii, after all) But he had his heart set on black wool.

So I know what you're going through. I think I'm going to have to look into these lighted hooks. It may be the best investment I can make for this project. I have an awful lot of rows to go.

Good luck with your son's blankie! I'm sure it will turn out great.

Archived