Check Every Dollar Store For Yarn

Real Deal

The Dollar Tree by my moms house has Lion Boucle in Tangerine and Rose (I thought it was fuschia but they only had two skeins of that until I grabbed both skeins, LOL, more of Tangerine), also Incredible and Trellis and as well Fun Fur and Fun Fur Stripes and one other which I can't remember right now.

Have to check the three by my house (different county).

LI Roe

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, don't you just love it when you know some of this yarn is $5 or $6 somewhere else, and you're picking it up for $1 a skein? I love it!!! And that does go to show you the kind of profit made on yarn.

Well, I had to stop back in because my sister and her housemate liked the dark plum ww I just bought, so I gave her those 20 skeins and went back to the dollar store for 20 more.

The yellow I got yesterday is Lion Brand Chunky USA. It's citrus grove yellow, and I thought I didn't have any other chunky stuff, but it just dawned on me I have a few skeins of medium purple in chunky. The label on the yellow does show a few other colors, so I have patience. The other colors will probably come through the store eventually. Ha, ha!

Real Deal

Oh, don't you just love it when you know some of this yarn is $5 or $6 somewhere else, and you're picking it up for $1 a skein? I love it!!! And that does go to show you the kind of profit made on yarn.

Real Deal

Actually I don't know if there is a profit. From what I read is that these stores (like Big Lots, Dollar Stores, etc) receive inventory from companies when they find faults in products. A certain percent in the production. Then they give them to the discount stores, which go through the boxes and toss the things that don't work or look good and sell the rest. At which point maybe 98% of it is good (sometimes there's an item or two that isn't good that slips through).

At least that's what I understand.

But I still think stores make a profit on yarn. When I see Walmart prices and micheals prices and then a local craft store prices... :eek Plus when I see the stores having a sale, I can see what their normal profit is.

But I'm not complaining:no :no :no ... If I can get yarn for less, I will!!:hook

Debbi

Debbi ~ I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. I did mean that when we can pick up pricey yarn for $1, that shows us the profit that is normally made on it.

I have checked and checked the dollar store yarns I buy, and the most I've ever found wrong with it is the occasional tangle inside. Well, I've had that in many yarns from other stores, bought at full price.

I have found a few with the labels not quite right ~ like they are glued together a little crooked or a little large for the skein, but that doesn't harm the yarn.

None of the ones I've bought seem to be off color, musty, dirty, or anything like that. I have found a couple yarns that did seem to be a little heavier (amount in the skein) than ought to be there, so perhaps this is considered a flaw.

As long as the yarn is good, it's something I like, and I'm relatively sure I will use it, I go ahead and buy. Otherwise, I pass it up and wait to see what will come in next.

Real Deal

Well, I was over by my moms again today and went back to get some Lion Brand Incredible and they had more Lion Brand Boucle in five more colors, of course, I bought five different Incredible colors and four each of the five Boucle colors. Twenty five skeins later (and I had to restrain myself also, LOL), I left. Did you ever notice the looks on some peoples faces when you buy more than a few at a time? It is really funny.

Anyway, so far, the Dollar Tree (where I bought them) stores by me haven't had yarn lately.

Happy crocheting!!!!

LI Roe

Ha, ha! I think the first time I went for a really large amount (40 skeins I think) the store employees got me a box and looked dumbfounded. The other customers stared at me as if I was stealing them or something, and not paying for them. It was strange.

Now when I go in there, a couple of the employees say "Oh, we just got in such and such, come look! Or you might like this that came in a few days ago."

Real Deal

I'm so J! my Dollar Tree NEVER has yarn! None of the $stores here seem to. grrrrrr. Happy thought time: I snagged 3 balls of Bernat baby pompadour-2 yellow, 1 pink, for $1 each at a TS today...usually when I'm there, they only have bandless, messy, musty, rough, partial skeins (at the local TS) the kind I'd probably junk! :P :O :lol

How to get Dollar Tree in my neighborhood to sell yarn?! hmmmm

Momcrochets ~ Your purchases are great deals! Any place you can get a decent quality yarn for $1 a skein, well, that's the whole idea. Don't get discouraged.

The Big Lots not far from here has a lot of yarn for $1 a skein, but it's almost totally novelty yarn and I don't want it.

My favorite dollar store near me has been known to go for months with nothing but novelty yarns. Then shipments of regular yarn start again. Thats when I buy. They will get in 7 oz ww skeins in brand names, and if I like the color, it's time to buy. Or good baby / sport or Jiffy. Then they're back to novelty yarns.

Right now, my favorite dollar store has mountains of Moda Dea in lots of colors. It's not selling. I personally don't care for it, but I thought it was supposed to be so popular. Why aren't people snapping it up?

Real Deal

Here near Columbus Ms. our Dollar Tree stores have yarn but it's almost always the fun fur or ribbon yarn . I buy it in tons as it's so pretty to use as accents on hats or scarves and the grand baby and I are always looking for " pretty string" for Grammy to make her a new scarf or hat to wear . She helps me pick it out . The local Wal Mart here reduced it's craft section and had two end caps of yarn for a dollar a skein too . I greatly enhanced my stash ! I love a good deal and I'm always looking for more

Lisa

Yep I go to Dollar Tree for my fun fur! It's so cheap and it's the exact same as the one in other craftstores for $3.00! They don't have the biggest selection of colors though, but who cares, it's so cheap! :D

Liz ~ I stopped at the dollar store with all the Moda Dea today. All the skeins are 1.76 oz. Here's what they have right now:

Cheerio in 3 different colors: Amethyst, Smoky Quartz, Lilac Mist ~ these have a sparkle to them ~ 100% nylon

Lazy Daisy in 1 color: Wavy Navy ~ looks almost black with zig-zag of changing colors running along it ~ 80% acrylic and 20% nylon

Fur Sure in 1 color: Helloo Yellow ~ very furry ~ 90% acrylic, 10% nylon

Tutu in 2 colors: White and Cabana Blue ~ flags ~ nylon, cotton, acrylic, rayon

Bow Ties Ribbon in 1 color: Flirt which is red / fuschia / pink mix ~ very bright ~ 100% nylon

Swirl in 1 color: Happy which is rainbow colors ~ a mohair look ~ 57% nylon, 27% wool, 16% acrylic

Cache' in 2 colors: Smartie and Siren ~ Smartie is green, teal, salmon and Siren is is orange, purple, brown ~ 75% wool, 22% acrylic, 3% polyester

In my opinion, the Cheerio is quite pretty, especially the Amethyst. The Swirl could be stunning as an edging on something plain. The Cache' is lumpy and ugly, and I can't imagine why anyone would manufacture it on purpose.

Real Deal

The Cache looks ugly now, but it felts quite well. It's a great cheap wool for someone who wants to try felting but doesn't want to invest alot in the yarn.

I'm off to check out my Real Deals today to see what they have this week. Hopefully something GOOD!

Dawn ~ What a great idea! Use the Moda Dea Cache' for felting ~ it's 75% wool!

When I was looking at it, I honestly could not think of a thing I'd ever make with it. My sister looked at it and said make a rug. It would probably wear like iron. Probably, but how about some prettier color mixes?

Who is choosing these colors? I don't want to offend anyone's taste, but is there no concept of ugly anymore? To me, some of these yarns are just downright ugly. I won't buy them, and I guess, since mountains of the stuff is still on the shelves, in dollar stores no less, other people won't either.

I really, really don't want purple and orange. Or red, fuschia and purple. Or orange, pink and puke green. Or even puke green alone. Or fluorescent anything. I don't want to wear it, walk on it, sleep under it or look at it.

Well, there's my mini-rant!

Real Deal

I agree that's its not very pretty, but the colors get kinda blended and muted when it felts, so it doesn't look so bad. I'll have to take a pic of the purse I made and post it so you can see.

I didn't find anything fantastic at my Real Deals yesterday, so I left empty handed. But I did recently buy the Moda Dea Cheerio and made some earflap hats for the hat tree at church and they are sooooo soft and cuddly. It's a little hard to see the stitches, but you get used to it after a few rows. I was thinking of getting some more to make a little baby sweater out of.

Oh Trin ~ Thank you for that wonderful idea! If the Cache' could be dyed, it would make a big difference. The colors I saw were dull and ... well, icky.

OK. Anybody up to a dye job? Ha, ha, ha! I shouldn't be laughing, I've dyed woven cloth in the past. Why not yarn?

Real Deal

Oh Liz ~ I think you're onto something! Crochet in bright neon orange for the hunters. Make them ... I don't know ... ear muffs? Beer cozies? Gun slings. That's it. Now I want to hear you're making a LOT of those. You've got a wide open market. Ha, ha, ha! Let us know how it goes.

Real Deal

Archived