Crochet Hook #7

Can someone tell me why when the sets came out with Letters, was G - #6 and H #8 included, but 7 was missed? Does it have something to do with the manufacturer or what? Really frustrates me because someone borrowed my 7, moved and never returned it. I had complete sets, steel ones from my Grandma, and larger ones I collected over time. The newer sets do not have 7 in them and most of the shops don't sell 7's individually. I finally found it at Joann's on line, but was wondering why it is so neglected. A lot of my patterns require a 7, and it was my favorite hook with 5 as my second favorite.

Where are you finding patterns requiring a 7 (4.5mm) yarn hooks, must be international not US patterns? Was your grandmother's set perhaps not US?

You're right the size 7 yarn hooks are neglected in the US hook standards. (how come the knitters get one that size?)

http://www.yarnstandards.com/hooks.html

Maybe they are more available in Europe or Japan?

Thanks for the link to the hook site, I had one too, but with different MMs.

I never looked at the MMs before. I have a pattern in my to do list, that lists using a G hook (4.5MM), the site lists a G as a 4MM, and my G is a 4.25mm.

So it seems that until recently, the number varied by manufacturer and region.

When I was younger we never knew MM from M&Ms :lol. 7's are supposed to be 4.5MM. but here is a pattern saying 6 (G) is 4.5. Because of the variance in the G/6 hooks, in order to get the correct gauge I would turn to my 7. (notating in the margin to use a 7) And it seems a lot of other folks did too, since it is still hanging in there.

As for actual size 7 hook patterns, here are a few sites that had them

Free Vintage Crochet, Dark Horse Yarns, Garnstudio, Bernat, AC Moore, I think there is one I had from Purple Kitty & That is just a sample of those I have at hand, there are probably more in my books.

So now I know that when I do G or 7 patterns I really need to look at the millimeter size in order to get the correct gauge.

I still want my 7 back, but it puts a light on the subject.

Thanks GrannySquare, I thought my chart of hook sizes was correct, and it seems there are multiple charts that may not match.

As for hook charts - Yuk! I found numerous charts, so I finally sat down and compared them all from top to bottom. I spent hours doing this. They all agreed on 4 hooks. That's right! Only 4! These are the "experts!"

H is 8 (5 mm)

I is 9 (5.5 mm)

J is 10 (6 mm)

K is 11 (6.5 mm)

That it. They differed by .25 to 2 mm for everything else. So, your guess is as good as theirs probably. Using mm size is undoubtedly safest, but nobody used to put mm's on the patterns.

Happy Hooking.

Real Deal

LOL, and all this time I thought it was me. No matter how hard I worked at it using the suggested needle and yarn, I still couldn't hit gauge exactly. I found my #7 to be my best friend. It got me closest to where I needed to be.

(when crocheting a pattern suggesting the use of a G hook), I am sure glad I found and joined Crochetville, the question had been bugging me for years, but personnel at stores could never give me a straight answer.

Thanks Heather, I should have thought of comparing charts like you did. I just assumed all hooks were equal, and all experts charts were too. Well you know what they say about ASSUME....:lol.

Armed with this knowledge I will have to gather some more hooks and make sure I have all the right MM's. This will also save me a lot of heartache and frogging...

With my meager budget, by the time I buy all the hooks I need, all the patterns will be standardized, as well as the hooks, and I probably won't need them...Oh well, such is life...

I find this interesting in that the hook that is hard to come by here is a 7MM. I buy a couple of them when I see them but they are not always available.

Oh, and I did get a US #7 in an aluminum set put together by Red Heart.

I like Virginia Hooker found mine at Michael's. Bates hook which I like best cause of their nice sharp heads. I can't stand the Boye hooks I constantly drop stitches with those!

I just thought of a couple more tidbits. I vaguely remember hearing something years ago about the 7 hook originating from the British. I have no idea if this is true, but maybe someone there would know.

Also, my Grandmother and her cronies used to copy patterns from each other, and I remember seeing hook #7. I think they all used it a lot. I was just a kid then, and I'm in my 50's now.

Grandma and her friends all did a lot of knit and crochet for charity ~ usually children's and baby mittens, hats, socks ~ but rarely did I ever see a pattern book around. The patterns were usually hand written on lined notebook paper.

Real Deal

When I learnt to crochet over 30 years ago, a lot of the patterns called for 4.5 mm hook equivalent to US 7. In fact, I learnt to crochet with the 4.5 mm hook. Hooks that are mm are British. I even have old Patons patterns that called for 4.5 mm hook.

I use my 4.5 mm hook frequently for patterns that require 4.0 mm since I crochet tightly.

I probably got my 7 from grandma too. I really miss it. The Michael's by me didn't have one, nor AC Moore. That is why I checked out Joanne's.

I agree with you SockMad, the groves on the Bates hooks are more indented and hold the yarn better. My 5 hook is like that too, but it has no maker on it only Made in USA.

I also have a hook from Grandma that says Millward. My smallest hook is a 14, I have 2 of them (one is a Boye, and says Mexico on the back side, and the other just says Made in USA. Grandma and I used them for edging hankies. Back then the hankies were a necessity (no tissues), and didn't come with holes in the edges, we had to make our own by poking the hook through the material (they are thinner than my needles on my sewing machine. My largest is wood, and has nothing on it. But it is way bigger than my K, which is my second largest. I only used it once for a shawl, too big for me, doesn't feel comfortable in my hand, guess cause I learned on the little steel hooks.

Archived