a knitter peeking in

Dacaffe

Hello, tho I'm not an avid crocheter, tho I do use crochet edges on some of my knitted items. Does the Granny-Square craze of the 70s count? (yep, i'm dating myself) And where would the knitter be without a handy crochet hook to pick up dropped stitches. ;)

Anyway, I been lurking occassionally and thought I would say hi!

:2spin

I'll answer any knitting question. Purling takes a lot of endless purling before it feels comforable and natural. Do you have a specfic problem with it?

I probably just need to practice more. I have trouble keeping my purling gauge consistent with my knit stitch gauge (I work Contintental), so if I'm say, working K1P1 or in stockinette, the purl parts look awful! :)

Hope you enjoy your time here! :)

That's interesting Jess... I'm having a similar problem. My purling is much looser than my knitting, and I'm not sure which one needs fixing... whether I'm knitting too tight, or purling too loose. I'm guessing maybe a bit of both. I'm also knitting continental.

:welcome

I'm a long time crocheter who took up knitting a couple of years ago, and I love both crafts. I'm really happy that I can do both.

I used to hate purling, but after lots of practice, I don't mind it so much anymore.

:D And of course I knit English style: But let me tell you some tricks about purling and perhaps they can also be used for Continental purling.

Most beginners tend to purl (or knit) with just the tips of their needles, which makes the stitches too tight. Then add the natural tendency of beginners to purl too tight/loose to begin with, then you get weird looking stockingette. Do take time to form the purl stitch slowly, keeping an eye out for tightness or looseness, do several rows of practice stockinette rows like this, to see if your tension evens out. If over time, you feel you are still purling too tightly use a slightly larger needle for the purl row.

For ribbing and cables: When going from a knit stitch to a purl stitch, wrap the yarn in the opposite direction from how the purl stitch is usually formed. And/or snug up the purl stitch, with a slight tug, when you make it.

Hope this helps.

I am new to site also-welcome

I crochet with my right hand(advanced beginner)

but I knit left handed(beginner)

I have successfully completed a pair of crochet socks and would like to try to knit a pair but I think I need more knitting needle practice-

joanne

That's interesting Jess... I'm having a similar problem. My purling is much looser than my knitting, and I'm not sure which one needs fixing... whether I'm knitting too tight, or purling too loose. I'm guessing maybe a bit of both. I'm also knitting continental.

That's exactly what my problem is! The purling is just too loose. I'm guessing if I practice more I'll get it (certainly my crochet gauge wasn't consistent at first either) so they at least match, but I get so frustrated at how slow it is compared to crochet and go back. :blush

Thanks for the tips, Dacaffe!! :)

Hello and Welcome to Crochetville! :welcome

Eventually I will pick up the needles again, but being left-handed I think I'm definitely going to try the continental method.

Hey welcome from a fellow knitter:knit

Was taught knitting many many many years ago. Taught myself how to crochet. It is nice that you can use both to do a project.:cheer

Welcome! Knitters are people too! :knit

If there was only more time in the day I would learn to knit as well. For now I'll just stick to what I know how to do well. Procrastinating!

:welcome

Bonjour Dacaffe! :welcome to Crochetville from my side of the globe! Glad to have you join our :ghug! My knitting needles are still sitting in their original package waiting to be taken out....one of these days!

Archived