The Passing of the Hook

Instead of the Passing of the Torch, I am calling this entry the Passing of the Hook.

While my I was working on the "big square" this past weekend, my granddaughter kept holding the ends out to see how big it was getting. "Are you done yet, grandma?" she would ask. "Look in my basket. Is there still yarn?" She replied "Yup." "Then, no I am not done yet Aubrey. When all the yarn is gone, grandma will be done." This little conversation took place several times. Finally she came up to me and said "Can I help?". How could I refuse. Up in my lap she came, we got the "big square" covering us both up and she had hook in hand. What a proud moment for me, the grandma. My little 3 year old granddaughter wants to help me crochet. So I put the hook in her hand and gently holding the hook myself, her and I start doing double crochets. "No, grandma, I do it" she says in her angelic voice. So, I back my hand off the hook some more, just touching it enough to help guide the hook in the right direction. Three double crochets are done. Aubrey is smiling up at me. "Look grandma! I did it!" Then off my lap she flew to go play with something else. What a proud moment for grandma.

How special! Thanks for sharing. I have wanted to teach my girls crocheting for some time but they can never quite get the tension and how to hold the yarn right. To think your grand-daughter wanted so badly to do it with you and picked it up just like that is truly wonderful! As she gets older, I'm sure you will have her primed.

That is what making memories all about with children. I am a firm believer that our grandkids remember these special moments.

How sweet!

I recently tried to teach my step daughter how to crochet. She is seven and couldn't get it! Although she didn't really seem to want to learn (because her mommy didn't do it) I convinced her to try to make something for her mommy's birthday. We ended up using a knifty knitter instead!

Maybe, just maybe, if I have a girl she will want to learn how.

I love stories like that... :c9

How special! Thanks for sharing. I have wanted to teach my girls crocheting for some time but they can never quite get the tension and how to hold the yarn right. To think your grand-daughter wanted so badly to do it with you and picked it up just like that is truly wonderful! As she gets older, I'm sure you will have her primed.

Thats my 6 yo. She wants to learn so bad...I actually went out and bought another set of hooks and gave her my hooks (as I did when I taught a friend). She sits in my lap and I hold the yarn for tension and she does her chain...thats about as far as we have gotten...But she did teach her friend to chain!!! :D

aww how sweet! my grandma taught me to crochet when I was 8 and I still have the hook she taught me on. maybe one day I will pass it down to someone else.

Archived