Felted bag pattern

Chie

Chie, do you find that projects done with dc's don't felt as nicely as those made with sc's? I recently made a backpack done in dc's, and it shrank a bunch in height, but not very much in the width. Needless to say, I was very disappointed in the project.

Do you think that your pattern would work as well using sc's, and adding rows until it reaches the correct height? I'm really gunshy of trying another felting project using dc's........

Christi,

Frankly, I never felted projects made just with sc, and I don't recommend using just sc with my pattern. I'm sure it will give you a problem because I didn't add the size of pre-felted bag on the pattern nor I recorded it. :blush

If you use the suggested yarn and follow my pattern, I'm sure your bag will get pretty close to the finished dimension of the bag shown in the photo although I can't guarantee because some people might crochet their stitches taller/shorter.

Also, I have to say though, the size of my pre-felted bag was a LOT bigger than the one after felting! Also, this yarn is not 100% wool (It's 75% woo, 22% acrylic, 3% polyester), and the completed bag has tiny holes, which you can't see from outside, but when I stick my head into the bag and face toward lights, I can - although this was expected since the yarn was not 100%, and that's what I was going for anyways (I'm going to add lining also, but it's really not necessary unless you plan to put pointy things in it). So if you like the bag to be completely felted without any holes, you can probably use wool yarns such as Patons or Lion Brands and single crochet stitches, but I really can't guarantee the dimension on the pattern, and you will need a different size of hook also.

Actually, somebody asked me if she could use Patons merino wool yarn, and I recommended crocheting with 2 strands held together and use a bigger hook than L hook. - I think the finished bag will be thicker and probably a bit bigger than mine, and again I can't guarantee the finished dimension on the pattern.

Thanks for sharing your concerns because I'm sure some other people might be thinking the same. :)

Chie, do you find that projects done with dc's don't felt as nicely as those made with sc's? I recently made a backpack done in dc's, and it shrank a bunch in height, but not very much in the width. Needless to say, I was very disappointed in the project.

Do you think that your pattern would work as well using sc's, and adding rows until it reaches the correct height? I'm really gunshy of trying another felting project using dc's........

I'm sorry you are having trouble viewing my blog. :(

What is your browser?

Is anybody else having the same problem???

I sure hope not because I don't think I can fix the coding so I will probably have to change the whole template!

I just added a photo on my top message, and I will be happy to email you the pattern if you like. :)

HELP:eek I can see the sidelines but nothing in the middle , how will I ever get to see the picture or the pattern?

Hi Laura,

Thanks for letting me know about this. :)

I think it's the flickers I recently started using which slows down the loading of my blog... :(

I have to come up with some kind of solution. Thanks again! :)

it took me a few clicks to get the pattern and pic to show up but the eventually did

• 1 month later...

I love your bag and I didn't have any trouble getting the site to come up. Also, I'm going to make it with Moda Dea Cartwheel. Can't wait - thanks so much for sharing the pattern.

P.S. In my felting experience, I think it's much better to use HDC or DC than SC because you do need some space so that the fibers can attach to each other in the felting process. I've found the looser and floppier before felting, the better the end result.

• 1 month later...

I love it, and I particularly enjoy making bags. Felted bags make such nice project totes because the needles and hooks don't poke through them very easily. Beautiful pattern and thank you for sharing!

Archived