Monthly Square CAL

miller3602

Hi everyone, on Monday I plan on crocheting my first square for this CAL, I feel that I can make a definite commitment to one to two squares a month. I have the "200 Crochet blocks book" and I plan on using that book to pick the squares that I am making. The squares in that book are all 6" squares so I have to make 2 so I can have 12" squares for each month. My theme will also be on a monthly theme or shall I say seasonal. :yay So please count me in. :hook I am looking forward to this CAL .

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everyone, on Monday I plan on crocheting my first square for this CAL, I feel that I can make a definite commitment to one to two squares a month. I have the "200 Crochet blocks book" and I plan on using that book to pick the squares that I am making. The squares in that book are all 6" squares so I have to make 2 so I can have 12" squares for each month. My theme will also be on a monthly theme or shall I say seasonal. :yay So please count me in. :hook I am looking forward to this CAL .

Not trying to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but if you only do 2 of the squares won't that make a 12 x 6 rather than a 12 x 12?

Sandy (ducking in case i have rotten tomatoes thrown at me for my thinking process being off)

Not trying to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but if you only do 2 of the squares won't that make a 12 x 6 rather than a 12 x 12?

Sandy (ducking in case i have rotten tomatoes thrown at me for my thinking process being off)

:eek :eek :eek:lol :lol :lol :lol :hug :hug

Hey don't duck no tomatoes coming your way just peace and love. LOL :manyheart Then please help me out do I have to make 4 6" squares??????? I just weant my finished work to be a lapghan by the time 12 months roll past. and by the way thanks. :devil

It's okay, I rethink my plans for I really have time to make one square a month so I just found some 12" squares and already picked one out for August. So I will not need no help. Any way thanks for the rotten tomato . LOL:devil :manyheart Hugs

OK, so she has picked yellow for September!!!! So what should I do in yellow??? Any ideas like the swiming one??? I will also make one with the months birthstone color, which is??? Did everyone get there Aug ones done...I need to take a pix...of mine

OK, here are my two August squares, the first one is representing the Ocean (blue), Waves (white), Tan (sand) and the second one is "Peridot" for the month of august birthstone color.... What do you think??

th_IM001710.jpg

th_IM001711.jpg

Vonnie, the squares are very pretty. You did a great job on both of them:clap:clap

I need to get busy and make my second one. I had planned on doing it this afternoon, but the pool was calling my name, and it would have been so rude to ignore it, so I spent a couple of hours at the pool :lol:lol

Now I'm off to find a pattern for it.

OK, so she has picked yellow for September!!!! So what should I do in yellow??? Any ideas like the swiming one??? I will also make one with the months birthstone color, which is??? Did everyone get there Aug ones done...I need to take a pix...of mine

I've been pondering over the same thing. I really want to try and use the colors that were listed in the first post of this thread as a challenge to myself.

When I think Sept I will always think apples. Especially now that I live in Washington. I kept trying to think of how to incorporate yellow in a block like that. So I figure maybe I'll make a granny smith apple? They are yellow-green and then I can add some extra yellow in the border?

Just brainstorming ideas...

I found this for anyone doing birthstones,colors or flowers:

Month/ Stone/ flower/ flower colors

January / Garnet / Carnation or Snowdrop / Various- Red, - Pink, - White

February / Amethyst / Violet or Iris / Violet, Purple

March / Aquamarine / Daffodil or Jonquil / Yellow

April / Diamond / Daisy or Sweet Pea / white and yellow, Pink, Purple

May / Emerald / Lily of the Valley / White

June /Pearl, Moonstone / Rose or Honeysuckle / Various- Red, - White, - Pink - Yellow

July / Ruby / Larkspur, Tulip or Water Lily / Pink, Purple

August / Peridot / Gladiolus or Poppy / Various

September / Sapphire / Aster or Morning Glory / Various- Pink, - Purple

October / Opal, Tourmaline / Calendula or Marigold or Cosmos / Orange

November / Yellow Topaz, Citrine / Chrysanthemum / Various

December / Blue Topaz or Turquoise / Holly, Poinsettia, Narcissus or Orchid / White

Vonnie what pattern did you use for the Peridot?

This is a great idea! May I join you? I don't have much time left in Aug but since school started I do have some free time so hopefully I can get an Aug square done before August is over :) I just need to make a plan first so that I have a theme plus have an afghan at the end of next summer!

edit: I like the 12" square idea so I'll probably go that way & maybe put a trim around them, when I join them next summer???

Oh my gosh, :ty SOOOO much for this! Just what I needed...how did you know? :lol:flower

I found this for anyone doing birthstones,colors or flowers:

Month/ Stone/ flower/ flower colors

January / Garnet / Carnation or Snowdrop / Various- Red, - Pink, - White

February / Amethyst / Violet or Iris / Violet, Purple

March / Aquamarine / Daffodil or Jonquil / Yellow

April / Diamond / Daisy or Sweet Pea / white and yellow, Pink, Purple

May / Emerald / Lily of the Valley / White

June /Pearl, Moonstone / Rose or Honeysuckle / Various- Red, - White, - Pink - Yellow

July / Ruby / Larkspur, Tulip or Water Lily / Pink, Purple

August / Peridot / Gladiolus or Poppy / Various

September / Sapphire / Aster or Morning Glory / Various- Pink, - Purple

October / Opal, Tourmaline / Calendula or Marigold or Cosmos / Orange

November / Yellow Topaz, Citrine / Chrysanthemum / Various

December / Blue Topaz or Turquoise / Holly, Poinsettia, Narcissus or Orchid / White

Vonnie what pattern did you use for the Peridot?

OK, here are my two August squares, the first one is representing the Ocean (blue), Waves (white), Tan (sand) and the second one is "Peridot" for the month of august birthstone color.... What do you think??

Ooo, how pretty. Are you going to put them in the same afghan or two separate? I love both of them and think a menagerie of squares in an afghan would look great. Everyone's squares are so beautiful. Keep up the good work!!!

Ooo, how pretty. Are you going to put them in the same afghan or two separate? I love both of them and think a menagerie of squares in an afghan would look great. Everyone's squares are so beautiful. Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks, I am going to make two lapghans, one with the birthstone colored squares and one with the others, now I think if I can find the patterns I want to make one with the montly flowers....not sure if I can find them all...

Vonnie: I hope you find all the flowers. I would love to see them all done. Are you going to look on the internet or in books. I have so many afghan books, I might be able to come up with all of them. I need to go back to the post and look at it. All your lapghans are going to be beautiful. By the way, I read the painted doily CAL and just love yours. I would love to do one someday.

The only one I don't think I have is Lily of the Valley. The month with the Marigold/Cosmos could probably be adapted from another pattern. The marigold could be a small zinnia for instance. Now you got me going.....I want to do the flowers too!!!! lol :eek:eek:eek:eek

Evening everyone, I finally decided on a pattern to crochet my first square. I decided to use sugar and cream yarn for I wanted a lapghan made out of cotton. Everyone seem to be having fun with this CAL. Have fun doing what we like to do best "crochet" :hook

Cheeria,

Your post reminded me of this...I am currently in a swap where we have to make squares using any color; however, they have to edged in black...Anyway I love Sugar & Cream (I learned how to crochet with it in May of this year), and I have been buying all the different colors I can find. I found one that was yellow, orange and white and my daughter said that reminds me of candy corn for halloween. It looked good outlined in black. I thought I would use that for my October square...

I know I took the scenic route on this one... What can I say...I love to talk, and I love to talk about crochet even more :)

Jillian aka Mad4Crochet:hook

I found a book of birthday afghans. So I decide to use the color choices based on the book. I think I will do August and September once I get some yarns maybe this weekend or so. I think I will check out some 63 squares sampler books or 101 stitches books for some ideas. I hope to create some 18" squares to make 4.5" x 6" afghan.

Archived