Question about Dishcloths

I was wondering how many of you make dishcloths and how well they are received by those you gift them with. I have started making some very pretty dishcloths I thought I would use for housewarming or even Christmas gifts. I am afraid people won't like them. :( Have you used them? Do you love them? Do they hold up well? You are probably asking yourself why I have not tested one myself. Well, I'm ashamed to admitt it, but I will. I don't do dishes. My hands have not touched dishwater in 13 years. Me and hubby have a pact...I cook, he cleans up.:yes (and he has a favorite scrubbie I can't get him to give up:no ) Ok so now I am rambling.....Let me know what your friends and family think about your dishcloths!

Thabks in advance,

Dawn

I don't use crocheted dishclothes either - I made some washcloths that I do use on my little ones though. But I have a friend who uses crocheted dishclothes and loves them! :D

I'm not a fan of crocheted dishclothes, which is probably why I've never made them. Actually I just don't like kitchen dishclothes at all. The textrue of a wet cloth bothers me. I'd be more excited about a scrubby or something plasticy (probably not a real word) not cloth-like.

I do know others that use the crocheted dish clothes and love them -my mom made her own and used them for years.

Lucky you that you don't do dishes!

I make dishcloths. Everyone I have given one to loves them. I use them myself and I really like using them. I was a sponge user, but no more. These work so much better. They hold up very well.

I also make washcloths and love them. My DD has a stack of them she uses. Every time she knows I'm making one, if she likes the color, she ends up taking it as soon as I get it done. Her drawer in her bathroom is almost full of them.

I love making dishcloths as gifts. They are always well rec'd. Just mailed my Aunt 3 of them on Monday. Got an e-mail from her yesterday with a big thanks (plus she said I brightened her day). If nothing else, mail them for a RAOK. Who doesn't like to get something in the mail?

I never used a crocheted dishcloth til I started making them as starter projects. Mind you they still are far from perfect, but I like using them. I don't think they sour as fast as regular dish rags and I like the nubbier texture of the cloth. Seems like the texture provides better scrubbing action. I would like to try making scrubbies sometime too.

I've had great luck giving dishcloths as gifts. I also make washcloths (which aren't any different than dishcloths, really!) and give them with a bar of Burt's Bees Baby Bee soap as baby gifts - those have always been very well recieved!

I don't hand wash a lot of dishes myself (hooray for dishwashers!) but I do like a crocheted dishcloth when I'm washing my nice glassware or china.

I give them all the time and everyone loves them. I won't use anything else. The one I like the best is a free pattern called "my favorite dish cloth" It's quick and easy. I can make 3 in an evening watching tv.

I have not bought a dishcloth from a store in years. They are so nice to clean with. The cotton absorbs so well when washing dishes. Then, when I am finished the dishes, I pop the wet cloth in the microwave to 1 minute and let dry. It kills any bacteria and my cloths never smell.

After the colors fade I use them around the house to scrub the tubs, clean windows etc. I still have cloths I made 7 years ago and they are still going strong!

They make nice gifts. I make up a gift basket with them at xmas and add homemade bath salts and slippers with teas for my busy friends. When someone is having a life crisis, I give them a cloth that I think they would like and it always cheers them up. I make them and donate them to our high school band boosters and they sell well.

I crochet as well as knit them. I love the way each one is different. The knitted ones have so many designs to choose from with pictures! I have a binder just for my dishcloth patterns and get requests for specific types all the time. They are nice projects to make inbetween your long projects that gives you that instant gratification.

OH MY GOSH! Hello, my name is Denise and I am a dishcloth addict!

I got my first start with crocheted dishcloths at my inlaws house. My father in law is a teacher and one of the life skills teachers at his school made them and sold them in sets of 2 or 3 cloths. I loved the texture of them. Dishcloths is what got me started crocheting again. Because after using the ones my in-laws had, I asked my father in law to get me some from his co-worker. But she had retired and moved to florida. I was in the craft section of wal-mart and found a pattern book of dishcloths on clearance for 2 dollars. I have been making my own ever since.:)

I just recently started to use crocheted dishcloths myself. I have made them for years but didn't use them myself. I found that the open weave ones are best for me. They don't get so wet and sloppy. They dry faster too. I plan to make more and everyone who has gotten them from me has liked receiving them.

Thanks for the responses and ideas! I love the idea of a wash cloth with a bar of soap! Could even make a soap saver to go with it! I will let you know what kind of response I get when I give them away...I don't have any firends who crochet so they make fun of me because I ALWAYS have a project with me...Have crochet, will travel!:lol

I've recently made a few dishcloths using Peaches & Cream and I have to say I'm rather disappointed. I found they are too thick to easily wash the inside of a glass. They make much better potholders/hot pads than dishcloths.

I've recently made a few dishcloths using Peaches & Cream and I have to say I'm rather disappointed. I found they are too thick to easily wash the inside of a glass. They make much better potholders/hot pads than dishcloths.

I had the same feeling with the first dishcloth I ever made. How the heck could it be used? It was so flipping thick!

Don't give up, girl. Try out this pattern

http://www.geocities.com/cherilynm/EasyCrochetedDishcloth.html

I found this pattern last weekend and I have made 8 already. Absolutely love them. Now, to make some for myself. The 8 were all for RAOK gifts. Let me know if this is any better for ya.

Archived