HeLp!!! I'm drowning & I can't get up...

Since joining the "ville I've decided to try to organize my :yarn yarns :yarn better. I say better only because I currently have a foot locker, two 90 quart tubs, one 18 gallon tub, three 13 gallon trash bags, numerous grocery bags and a few pop up fabric boxes full of yarn :no (and the fact that they aren't loose counts as semi organized to me)

Ah, the frustration...over the past few days this entire mess has found its way into the center of my living room for sorting. My DD suggested micro-chipping all of them so this doesn't happen in the future :blush Along with that came many Lost & Founds & WIPs. I would say about 85% of the collection is already rolled into balls, which my DD & I do immediately after comming home with new aquisitions in an attempt to fool my DH...:lol

What is the BEST way to store and organize my prized collection of yarn? or is it too late for me? am I already a lost cause?

(btw: DH just shook his head and walked away after telling me I could open my own LYS :hook )

Sorry, I can't help you....I think I'm in the same boat as you! I have my yarn mostly in plastic storage tubs....but there is no rhyme or reason to any of it. Some day I would like to sort by fiber, color and weight....someday!

I would have to agree with smokey and say that you should sort by color, fiber and weight. you have enough storage, i would say. maybe finish your wips, do some charity squares to get rid of scraps, and limit your yarn buying (i know, but try!).

I imposed a yarn-buying ban on myself until I work through some projects :eek . Some of the yarn I have is allotted for projects I haven't started.

I made a couple of Lion Brand's Market Tote Bags and have been using them for craft storage. Also, I have some plastic containers that go under the bed.

Since I am going to be moving soon, I was thinking about using some of those bags that you vaccuum out the air, just to create more space. Does anyone know if this will mess up the yarn in any way? :think

I have used the vac the air out bags for yarn. NO it does not damage the yarn at all. And you will be amazed at how MUCH yarn you can squish into just one of those!!! I had one stored in my closet for almost 2 years and it ripped fianlly, well needless to say when it ripped all the mountains of yarn came popping out...LOL And I do mean mountains.... I had no choice but to immediately go thru it all and sort ,etc etc. But those airless bags are a miracle for us packrats....:hook

Mahalo! I haven't bought any new yarn in almost three years now. I inherited a LOT of my stash now from my MIL when she stopped knitting. I crochet assorted items for Breast Cancer Survivors & fund raising (the Breast Cancer 3- Day Walk) and just recently, blankets for my daughters charity group S.A.N.D (animal blankets) and in the last two years I crocheted lapghans for both sides of my family as Christmas gifts (totaling 19). LOL...I just keep finding more yarn...and less space :hook

If you are going to organize by color, fiber etc then I also suggest keeping a spread sheet of as much detail as possible as well as how many skeins you have and where they are stored. This way you can always check it when you want to start a new project and not buy more of the same yarn.

My sweetie just put a cabinet in my back room and put 1/2 the yarn away for me. I was so excited about the cabinet - pantry style, shelves, doors - until I looked in it and said "I just sorted all of that!"

Wow!! Y0u gots ALOT of yarn going on there!! Good ideas already given out, I wouldnt know what to do myself, I would die happy though...lol

I love the air bag idea, never thought of that one. I am in the process of sorting by weight. I too have lots of yarn so I decided to use up some of my stash by making squares that has popcorn stitch design to make a heart. When I feel I have enough squares I will have a nice large blanket. Here is the problem: when I want a certain color, it is now gone and I have to go buy more. Circle never ends!

I agree - sort by colour :) And if you have that much, spreadsheets are an excellent tool. I separated my stash by colour (500 skeins) and have each colour in tote(s), with a separate spreadsheet for each colour... really helps me to see what I have, and in the case of a good sale, I know what I need (need?! hah!)...

~k

I sort mine by fiber type, you know froofy eyelash types, then the more run of the mill ww, and then I have a drawer for the nicer stuff like katrinas and suade, ect.

I recently organized my stash (as the first step of my yarn diet). I have organized skeins by weight (i.e. worsted, sport, baby, bulky) and speciality (i.e. eyelash). This way I can see what is available for my yarn busting projects. I have stored my yarn in those stacking plastic drawer bins and shelving (labeling drawers with yarn inside). My WIPS and finished projects are stored in plactic zipper bags (those you get from buying comforters, curtains, etc.); if you don't have any of these around you can purchase extra large Ziploc bags or use totes for these items. I also suggest making a list of all your WIP's so you can make plans to complete (or frog) them. Hope that helps. Good luck!

:cowgirl pinkleo

Wait - your supposed to organize yarn? Doesn't just putting it in the plastic container count? It is out of the store bag that way.

Seriously, I do have mine somewhat organized. I put all these empty containers in my living room and started tossing. One has fun fur type yarn, another simply soft, another red heart and another for other yarns. I then made them neater and am going from there. I didn't want to sort by color as I tend to use yarn by brand and not mix them too much.

However, I never think to look at the yarn I have before I go and buy more. I just look and say "oh pretty, me must have". That probably explains why I have the same varigated yarn in many many skeins.

Good luck in your efforts to organize.

rotf****! Thank you all so much for your input. Apparently I was not doing it to my DDs liking and she organized it the way she likes it. Now of course I'm even more confused than when I started, but it's organized by color at least:cheer

Archived