Recycled Yarn

stitchgirl

Question

Have you used recycled wool or silk yarn from thrift store, etc. sweaters? What kind of success could I expect and how do you actually begin the unraveling?

thanks

(hope this is the correct forum - if not I apologize)

16 answers to this question

I've unraveled a couple of sweaters, based on the tutorial that harmonise linked to. One was basically brand new. It was an evening's work but not too aggravating. Another one, I should have known better--it was a bit worn and so the yarn stuck to itself, and the end product wasn't worth using. Basically, it has to be in new or nearly new condition, and the yarn should be of a quality that makes it worth the effort--unraveling, winding into a hank, washing, and winding into a ball. Have fun!

PSA: It goes without saying, but anything from a thrift store should be washed. Bed bugs are a growing phenomenon and I've read that one vector is thrift store blankets and clothing.

I've unravelled a few times and suggest it is worth looking for the shop labels as i have found the mid to high price ones less likely to be serged, i got crried away with the colour of one sweater from asda( owned by walmart) and could get no usable yarn out of. Some charity shops have part cones of yarn at knock down prices, i got 400gs courtelle for 70p

I totaly agree! make sure its a good make, I managed to unravel a 100% wool jumper and re made it into a bag and felted it! I also have managed to get really good mohair on part cones for fantastic prices! charity shops......I love them! :hook

I've unravelled a few times and suggest it is worth looking for the shop labels as i have found the mid to high price ones less likely to be serged, i got crried away with the colour of one sweater from asda( owned by walmart) and could get no usable yarn out of. Some charity shops have part cones of yarn at knock down prices, i got 400gs courtelle for 70p

There are several tutorials out there to help you unravel the yarn. I keep looking at my thrift stores for those cool yarn sweaters but can't ever find any. I think everyone else is doing the same thing and is beating me to it! :think

no problem...if you need any further help or advice on unraveling/recycling PM me and i'll try to assist. i'd love to see a Recycled Yarn subforum here.

I so agree with having a recycled yarn forum! I've made several things from recycled yarn.I usually find the sweaters at yard sales. Often $1.00 for a wool sweater. Bigger sizes equal more yarn too.Be sure to check that the sems are NOT serged.

I totally agree, unravelling IS worth the effort. Time-consuming and sometimes a little messy, but the end result of having some awesome yarn for so little $$ is worth the time.

unraveling is awesome! i do it a lot and i love love love it, how else will you get a sweaters worth of cashmere yarn for 3 dollars?! i totally recommend it and i even started a thread with a few of the helpful tips i have made in my own trials, it is here if you want to check it out http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53168

Oh Harmonise, thank you so much. I would never have known about the good seam and the bad seam. This is valuable info to have before you start looking for that perfect sweater to unravel.

thanks again!

I've unraveled a few things I made myself and reused the yarn and it was great. I've been thinking about doing the thrift store thing to find yarn to use.

totally NOT a nightmare if you know what kind of sweaters to look for. I have done a LOT of unraveling and it is SOOOOO worth the little effort. I have found fibers I wouldn't normally be able to afford (angora, cashmere, etc.) and colors that are just plain fun! Check this out before you do any thrift shopping.

I got hooked when the local thrift store was clearancing all sweaters for $1 in March.

Archived