Hints for crochet with twine

The last time I was at one of the local dollar stores I saw some thin sisal twine for $1 per 300 yard roll. I had to pick it up because my crochet addicted brain imediately thought "yeah, I can make something with that."

So I'm watching a show with hubby last night and needed a project to keep my hands busy and I grabbed the twine. Hmm, I was less than happy with my attempts to work with it. One, it's really stiff, two, I can't figure out what size hook to use, and three I can't figure out what the heck to make it into.

Any tips from those of you who have worked with this type of stuff?

I could sure use a cozy for my chainsaw blade.

heh

Actually that's what i use in tying the ends of the felt i use for wrapping hooks for shipping. I've wondered the same thing... its such a nice organic stuff and should make something pretty cool.

I think you should do a freeform wall hanging with it.

A door mat? I'm not quite sure how thick it is, but probably using a N, Q or S hook would probably work, and maybe some light gloves so you don't get a burn from using the material?? Is it rough?

i made my mom a butterfly with hemp twine. PLEASE wear gloves! :lol i used a K hook. but it was about a 4 weight. i would guess sisal is probably a 5 or 6. try a N would be my guess.... HTH:hook

I made a bagin half double crochet granite stitch with jute on a 5mm hook, i foundit best done in short bursts and would suggest gloves or stratigically placed padded plasters as i ended up with a lovely red line onmy index finger. I found it much easier to crochet the mesh part of the bag( hdc, chain 1 ) where i wasn,t going into the top ofthe stitches than the oval bottom and handles. I am pretty pleased with the result though it has a little stretch in it and seems fairly indistructable

As to what size hook to use, it all depends on how thick the twine is. Try to compare it with the yarns you use; Is it similar to sport yarn, worsted weight, or chunky etc. You can judge from there. You can always make a little swatch to get an idea as to how it would look. You might want to work it with some other yarn (a strand of each) to soften it up. I think a tote bag of some sort might be perfect. If it is rough, you wouldn't want to make any type of rug/floor mat with it.

Similar to the people who made coasters, I had some *really* thick hemp once, and I made it into a set of placemats that I use on the patio. They got softer with each wash, and they looked pretty good -- rustic and functional -- both before and after washing.

I'd stick to very simple stitches, instead of patterns. I think I did alternating rows of back-loop HDC or something like that.

Best,

Elissa

i made a pair of sandals for minwifeof4boys for the summer scarf swap...mine was pretty lite weight, so i used two strands together and a k hook...short bursts is best, in my opinion, too. also, i found out that working with the stuff too long provoked my allergies and made me sneeze, itch, and water...gross, i know, but :shrug good luck! cant wait to see what you make :D

• 3 years later...

How about using it for pet toys? I want to try that myself. I need a new scratching post for my cats and I'd love to make a ball with a bell for my sister's puppy.

There was a pattern, and I think it was in the latest issue of "Crochet Me!" but I could be totally wrong on that, and they did a twine doormat. It was a gorgeous little thing, with greens for the "grass" and flowers all over it.

Obviously, gloves would be a good idea since twine is very abrasive, but I remember thinking that if we needed a doormat, I totally had us covered. It was in one of the magazines or books I bought recently, I know that.

Archived