Save that bad yarn!

Have you ever had a pattern rescue or save an otherwise less-than-delightful yarn? You worked up that pattern, using "any old yarn" you had laying around, and lo, in that pattern, the yarn didn't seem so bad?

Just wondering ~ Joy

There is no such thing as bad yarn! Even ugly yarn can be made into something (there is thread about that here somewhere). I got some yarn years ago (early 90's?), and I just started using it now (stash busting). I doubt they make it any more. It's very bright/neon colors so I made a smilie afghan, retro/60's looking thing. It turned out great. For every yarn there is a pattern, you just got to keep looking.

Ellie 13

I agree there is no such thing as bad yarn. I bought yarn by the pound--mill ends. They chose the colors for me and I just told them how many pounds I wanted. I got a very very bright orange color and a lot of it and I added white to it and it wasn't so bad.

You just have to find the right project for it. IT can be hard to find the right one, but once you do, that bad yarn isn't bad anymore. It's a great product.

You'll be surprised on what a hook, a pattern and some bad yarn can come up with!:)

:manyheart

Regarding ugly/bad yarn I disagree. I happen to believe that yarn and patterns are a personal thing and as such some may find a yarn or pattern that is ugly or hard for them to work with.

I know there are lots patterns and lots of yarn that I find ugly and will never use unless asked or needed for something specific.

:lol

I made this out of some yarn that was from the 70's. It came from my Nana's attic. It smelt kinda old and but the wrapper is still intact. I have about 10 50g skeins of this beautiful purple/blue blend. It's sock/fingering weight but I'm making a great tank top with it. I've also made premie blankets out of my nana's old yarn. I think all it needs is a wash and a good fabric softener and then another good wash. Yarn is yarn, baby.

Picture146.jpg

I use all my ugly yarns to make pot scrubbies....

then I unload them on people.... the nice, cotton ones get sold or given to people I like.... the ucky acrylic yarn ones get sold for dirt cheap, or given to people I REALLY dislike.... like my uncle's druggie girlfriend.

She got six of them that i personally know probably could take skin off. :P

When I started making my first sweater, I used some fuzzy dark green mill ends yarn. Toward the end of project, I realized that thing looked suspiciously like Stuart Stuart - St. Patrick's Day episode.

It's a UFO until I figure out what I can use that green for :)

I think maybe my question got lost in translation.

Has anyone ever had a yarn they didn't like, but used it anyway, and the pattern that it was used in convinced you that the yarn isn't all that bad?

~ Joy

Ugly yarn help here's that post. It's pretty funny. I remembered to search for it by Yugly :lol

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=808919&postcount=794

Ha! You could also search by paramecium. Check out the link and the posts following post 794.

papersmiles

I don't know how to provide a link

I found out about it last year from another crochet board

If you yahoo search crochet wildlife rescue nests,it will bring you to a link

vbspca wildlife.hope that helps.Linda

Whoops, sorry about that. Actually, I had that happen recently. I'm learning to make summer tank tops and decided to buy the cheapest cotton I could find to start out. Wal-Mart only had Peaches'n Creme in pastel hombres. I don't normally care for cutesy things, but I made myself buy two and start with the one I liked least: peach, green, blue and white. As I worked, the colors formed clusters like little flowers. It's an interesting effect. I'm working the second one now in blue/white and it's even better. It looks like the sky.

And yes, I know it's dishcloth cotton :). We go to the track all day during in the summer and the temperature often reaches 100. If it's comfortable, I won't worry about how it looks.

Archived