Help with the Seraphina Shawl?

Mom w/a Motif

Question

Has anyone out there made the Seraphina Shawl (with success)? I got to row 14 with no problems, now I am completely stuck. What does she mean? "Repeat the four sequence rows from this point on".... Row 11 (which is row 1 sequence) doesn't make sense, to do next. Row 2 doesn't make sense. Help:thair Maybe I'll put it down and try tomorrow. But I really wanted to work on it now! Should I just keep going with row 5, then 6, then do the four row sequence? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to me... Well I guess I will try to figure it out again....:think

Tina

18 answers to this question

I was lucky enough to get a revised set of instructions for my first attempt and it was so easy with easy to read instructions.

P.S. I wonder what happened to the author of this shawl? She hasn't updated her page in a long time and I'm quite sure if she knew her pattern was so hard to follow, she would have posted a revision on her site... Weird...

I was lucky enough to get a revised set of instructions for my first attempt and it was so easy with easy to read instructions.

P.S. I wonder what happened to the author of this shawl? She hasn't updated her page in a long time and I'm quite sure if she knew her pattern was so hard to follow, she would have posted a revision on her site... Weird...

Can you tell me where you got the revised instructions for this shawl? I just love it but it is driving me crazy!

Thank You

The revised pattern for the Seraphina shawl can only be passed along to other members through Crochetville services (requests for and sending, including posts, PMs, and emails) if the author of the original pattern has given permission for this revision to be freely passed around.

If somebody intends on distributing the revised pattern and has received written permission from the Seraphina shawl designer to distribute the revised pattern, please forward that permission to me for our files.

Thanks for understanding our need to remain in compliance with copyright law to the best of our ability!

donnalynn2 - you posted that you had a revised set of instructions for this shawl. I want to try this pattern but I'm reading about all of the problems understanding it. If you could provide this revised set of instructions I'd really appreciate it. Let me know and I'll send you my addy.

Blessings, bk

This is not very helpful, but having made a Seraphina, I am forced to say that if you try to follow the instructions you'll go mad. You have to look at the picture, and work out the logical thing to do. It is actually not too hard, and the end result is a beautiful shawl.

Not long ago I was trying to help someone out with this pattern and drew up a little schematic diagram to illustrate where exactly the increase spots are. Perhaps this will help someone here, so here it is:

(Image s/b clickable, full size version can be downloaded for printing on a standard letter size sheet)

th_SeraphinaSchematic.jpg

If you need more help with this, give me a holler via pm or (preferably) email from my profile and I'll do my best! :hook

Here are my tidbits of Seraphina wisdom from another post:

Just remember:

-Every row starts and ends with a V stitch

-The increases are made in the ch 1 space:

before 3dc at beginning

before 3dc at point

after 3dc at point

after 3dc at end

My little trick to remember which stage of the increases I'm on is this:

When you have 3dc in the increase area, you'll do (dc, ch1, dc) (3 stitches)

When you have 4dc in the increase area, you'll do (dc, ch2, dc) (4 stitches)

When you have 5dc in the increase area, you'll do (2dc, ch1, 2dc) (5 stitches)

When you have 6dc in the increase area, you'll do (2dc, ch2, 2dc) (6 stitches)

The shells in the 4, 5, and 6 rows all start and end with a ch 1

And there was also a picture which might help:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=408138&postcount=4

And one more thing that I do is weave a long ribbon or contrasting color of yarn through the center shells so I know when I'm approaching the center, otherwise I'm afraid I'll forget to increase. Just keep weaving it up every few rows so it's near the last row you made.

Tina,

I have no words of help, re: the shawl pattern. But I did try to make it once and ended up frogging it because I was too confused to forge on.

All I can offer is sympathy!!! Be strong! I bet you can figure it out!

I finally got through row 11 just by doing my best to duplicate the same thing on both sides of the center point, so that it was symmetrical. If you get stuck, go back to the directions for the beginning of the row and work backwards. I know that sounds stupid, but it works!

Shannon

I"ve had a hard time with this one too. I tried interpreting the pattern, and follow generally. But the ch1 thing messed me up too. So, for a few rows it's not there, and then i put it in. I ended up putting down the project, becuase i was too frustrated. The thing that got me was where to start the new shell section......still a bit too frustrated to tackle it! lol

So, i'm working on other projects. The one right now is a bamboo lantern for a festival. I've got mine done and have to do my son's. the festival is on saturday!!!!

Jessi - I figured out halfway through that she only said to ch-1 before the shells on one of the sequence rows, not all of them. So about half my shawl has that ch-1 and half doesn't. It's okay, you can't really tell. And after doing the sequences twice I figured it out and didn't really need to check the pattern much. Just for sanity's sake.

Hang in there Tina! It's a beautiful shawl. :)

I put ch-1 before the shells anyway. It makes it work better. It lays flatter and it doesn't pull it out of whack. Im confused with row 11 (sequence row 1) It says:

(sequence row 1) Row 11 (above): ch 4, dc in same stitch as turning. * ch 1, dc in ch-1 space, dc in each of next 2 dc, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next dc. Dc in each of next 3 dc, skip next 2 dc, ch 1, shell (3dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 space. (from this point on, you will shell-in-shell here). Ch 1, dc in each of next 3 dc. Ch 1, shell in shell, ch 1, dc in each of next 3 dc, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next dc. Dc in each of next 2 dc, dc in ch-1 space.* Shell in shell at point. Repeat from * to * to end of row.

THERE IS NO NEXT DC!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!! I checked a zillion times, there is no dc to (dc, ch 1, dc) in!!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Shannon

Hi! I have made 2 Seraphina Shawls. The pattern was confusing for me too. I know that she says repeat the 4 sequence rows, and she has two Sequence Row 1's. I had to re-type the pattern for myself. I had to include where she left off about chaining one before the shells, and also the ending v-st.

<snip>

Good Luck!

This search function rocks! I was just about to post a question about that missing ch before the shell, which had halted me on this project when I decided maybe someone else had mentioned it, so I tried the search and found your post! Thank you!!! I was afraid that maybe I was making a wrong assumption about it, though I had noticed the other little missing bits (such as that ending v-st). Now I have a reference as I see there may be more trouble ahead. Forewarned is forearmed!

Jessi - I figured out halfway through that she only said to ch-1 before the shells on one of the sequence rows, not all of them. So about half my shawl has that ch-1 and half doesn't. It's okay, you can't really tell. And after doing the sequences twice I figured it out and didn't really need to check the pattern much. Just for sanity's sake.

Hang in there Tina! It's a beautiful shawl. :)

Hi! I have made 2 Seraphina Shawls. The pattern was confusing for me too. I know that she says repeat the 4 sequence rows, and she has two Sequence Row 1's. I had to re-type the pattern for myself. I had to include where she left off about chaining one before the shells, and also the ending v-st. I totally understand what you mean. Don't worry, it isn't just you! Lol. If you would like, I will email you the one I re-wrote...I didn't change any stitches, it is still her pattern, just to where I could understand it better. Maybe you could try that and see if it helps. After you work the sequence rows, it does get better, really. It gets easy to remember the pattern. You can go to my blog here to see mine, click on the pics and they get bigger. If you'd like me to send you that, you can inbox me with your email address and I will type it up for you.

Good Luck!

Archived