planning out a ripple...colors question

NeedSleep

Question

So I am planning a side to side ripple and I bought every color of Red Heart Soft to do it in (although now that they're here I think I'll leave out the bright red and bright purple)

I tried the random stripes generator and just can't commit to it.

How do you figure what sequence you're going to do your colors in? I've got my yarn all laid out and it's really overwhelming.

I am considering just grabbing and starting and just picking whatever I want for the next and so on, but I'm afraid it'll come out weird that way.

Any tips?

17 answers to this question

:cheer Sometimes, the best way to sort colours, when you have lots, is to remember to make sure you put colours of contrasting depth together and if you are going to repeat a sequence, make sure you end with a dark colour if you started with a light.

It is all about contrast because if you put two colours of similar depth, from a distance they will look like the same colour and create the look of a wider band of colour.

Of course, you might like that look anyway.

If necessary, you can also add a row of black between each colour change then do a row of black right around before you do a border using some of your colours.

Looks like a Stained Glass Window.

Here is a picture of a Rainbow Ripple where I worked into the back loop only on some of the rows then added and Eyelash type yarn, in gold and black, to the ridges. I did black on the gold because the gold blended in too much.

Just make sure the ridges are all on the same side.

th_Zig-Zagrug.jpg

th_100_0243.jpg

This one is quite different but using the same method.

(Sorry the pics are not so good.)

This should show you that there are no rules.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

what is this color genorater?

WOW!

I have never used a colour generater before either (or even knew they existed), the joys of being new to crocheting, I swear I learn something new everyday.

What a fantastic idea. Thanks for posting that link Empress Busy Bee, I will definately be using it in the near future. Woohoo!:clap

Susan

I've only done one ripple afghan, medium pastels in rainbow colors. It was about 36" wide and about 45" long (I'm not sure, it was a baby gift 20 yrs ago). I did 4 (5?) rows of hdc in each color, rainbow order. I repeated it 4 or 5 times until it was long enough. If you are making it for someone, ask them to pick the colors since they will have to live with it. :yes Good luck.

Ellie 13

I just started a ripple afghan with Homespun yarn. I decided to do four rows each going from Baroque, to a lighter pink(can't remember the name) then do Delft and then Waterfall. So it is purplish-pinkish, then blue-blue-greenish from the darker shade to lighter shade. Originally I had bought the yarn years ago when I first learned to make a granny square then I ended up not liking the way it came out so left it. Recently I brought it out and I've been taking apart all the squares as I need them to make this ripple blanket! I like the way it looks. Good luck!

Try the generator again. You can refresh until the colors come up in a combination you like. Also change it up from one or two stripes to two or three or more per color. Change the stripe count for each color; 2 for some three or four for others.

Once you find something you think you'll like. Make a color card. Cut an inch or two of each color and tape them to a cardboard piece in the order that you decided on.

Then see how you like it.

:)

I bought a bunch of yarn and when it came down to the color and what order to put them my dh put the colors in a hat and made me draw colors and that was the way the colors went. So my colors ended up brown, red, tan, blue, black, green then start agin from the beg.

If you are worried that your stripes next to each other won't match when they are done random, try putting a row or two of a neutral color, like black, white, or tan, in between each color. That really helps!

have any of you thought of using the "Van Gogh's closet" technique for these?

:blush I had to do a search to figure out what you were even talking about.

But that's a good idea. I think for mine, though, I want more clearly defined colors, as opposed to the gentle, fading watercolor effect. If you've seen some of the "soft waves" afghans featured on the "No End in Sight Ripple Along" blog... that's the look I'm going for.

I've been lurking here a while but this is my first post! Yay! :cheer

Sorry, back to your question.

A random, multicolored ripple is also on my list of upcoming projects. I want to use a lot of bright, "kid" colors to make my daughter a twin sized rippled bedspread! Like you, I hope to use many different colors. I checked out that random generator, but I'm not happy with the results either (yes, I keep refreshing).

So what I plan to do is this: keep one skein of each color in a bag at my feet as I work. Blindly grab one skein out of the bag (or let one of my kids grab a color), and use it for two rows. Then I'll set it aside rather than putting it back in the bag. Then I'll blindly grab another color, and keep on going until I've used all the colors in the bag. At that point, I'll put all the skeins back in the bag, and start over. I figure it will be a lot more random that way, since if I chose the colors deliberately, I would be tempted to always place complimentary colors side by side.

this is probably your best bet to get a "Random" effect. I like this idea

have any of you thought of using the "Van Gogh's closet" technique for these?

I've been lurking here a while but this is my first post! Yay! :cheer

Sorry, back to your question.

A random, multicolored ripple is also on my list of upcoming projects. I want to use a lot of bright, "kid" colors to make my daughter a twin sized rippled bedspread! Like you, I hope to use many different colors. I checked out that random generator, but I'm not happy with the results either (yes, I keep refreshing).

So what I plan to do is this: keep one skein of each color in a bag at my feet as I work. Blindly grab one skein out of the bag (or let one of my kids grab a color), and use it for two rows. Then I'll set it aside rather than putting it back in the bag. Then I'll blindly grab another color, and keep on going until I've used all the colors in the bag. At that point, I'll put all the skeins back in the bag, and start over. I figure it will be a lot more random that way, since if I chose the colors deliberately, I would be tempted to always place complimentary colors side by side.

I am doing a ripple right now for a toddler bed. I am only using three shades of blue and white. Now you would think with only 4 colors it would be easy to decide but not for me. It must have taken me a week to settle on how I wanted those colors combined. I just laid the skeins out side by side rearranging them until I settled on what suited me. If I am going to do one with more colors I don't want to even think how long it will take me to decide. Good luck on your ripple, they are so easy and so much fun. Mary

Archived