Katchkan's Viceroy Shawl CAL

Krystal16

Ellen, I understood what you meant, its just that pink and purple(and all shades in between) are my favorite colors and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Happy stringing, Cheers!

I don't know why my photo came out so pink. But I also like pink and purple and all shades in between. Then throw in some blue and I'm in heaven.

Remind me to never get into the jewelry-making business! Stringing is awful!:faint:bang

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ellen,

I'm so glad you've finished and that your onto stringing. And yes, I'm with you on the colors!:yay Anyway, I'm one or two rows from completing the antennas, so it will still be a little while for me, but at least I have the time to keep forging on.

Tip on the stringing, if you pour the beads into a bowl, you should be able to use the tip of the needle to get more on quicker. I picked up the flexible needles to make stringing a little easier. I too, am also looking forward to seeing your shawl complete.

Cheers, Helen

Tip on the stringing, if you pour the beads into a bowl, you should be able to use the tip of the needle to get more on quicker. I picked up the flexible needles to make stringing a little easier.

Well, Helen, I have to do it the hard way othewise I'll have nothing to complain about. :D I did pour the beads in a bowl but am picking them up one by one by one by one one by one by one by one.

But I'm still hoping to hear from Kathy pretty soon (hint hint) as to how many number six beads I need (r number of grams) and if I should use three per stitch per the directions for number eight beads......or just use two per stitch since they're slightly larger.....

Well, Helen, I have to do it the hard way othewise I'll have nothing to complain about. :D I did pour the beads in a bowl but am picking them up one by one by one by one one by one by one by one.

But I'm still hoping to hear from Kathy pretty soon (hint hint) as to how many number six beads I need (r number of grams) and if I should use three per stitch per the directions for number eight beads......or just use two per stitch since they're slightly larger.....

Take a moment string a few beads on to another peice of thread and then try a small stretch of both 2 bs and 3 bsc, Then you decide which one looks the best to you.

Thats what I would do.

OK, I FINALLY got back to this today. But I suppose I should have waited another day.

I did a row and a half waiting for DS in Art Class... realized at the last minute that I had messed up a stitch (made a V-stitch somehow?!?! :think) in one of the FIRST stitches I had done over an hour earlier...

FINALLY got up to the point where I had been at teh end of art class (tonight) and realized that I didn't put the ch-5 in the center of the "+"'s and only put Ch-2 in, so had to rip out nearly all of that row as well AGAIN. I think I have a net of 1 1/2 rows done today... But it took me doing about 4 rows to get there!

OK, I FINALLY got back to this today. But I suppose I should have waited another day.

I did a row and a half waiting for DS in Art Class... realized at the last minute that I had messed up a stitch (made a V-stitch somehow?!?! :think) in one of the FIRST stitches I had done over an hour earlier...

FINALLY got up to the point where I had been at teh end of art class (tonight) and realized that I didn't put the ch-5 in the center of the "+"'s and only put Ch-2 in, so had to rip out nearly all of that row as well AGAIN. I think I have a net of 1 1/2 rows done today... But it took me doing about 4 rows to get there!

Don't you hate days like that. I have had more than my fair share of those days. 2 steps forward, 1 step back......... But progress none the less.

Yee-hah! I have some company!

I don't know exactly what color I'm doing this in, but I'm making two of them, joined by the wide end, and it's going to be a table topper. Can't you just picture this spread out with the points hanging over the sides of my mother's square coffee table? What a conversation point that will be! It might even be large enough to decorate the top of her dining room table when it's not in use!

I don't know where I've been hiding, but I just came across this CAL and the original pattern post. I bought the pattern (couldn't help myself!!!) and was thinking the exact same thing! It would make an awesome tablecloth! Since it looks like it starts from the bottom, I think that instead of joining the wide end, I'd just start the pattern in reverse when I got to that point, so that it was all one piece. Then do the edging all around. That may not be possible - I haven't looked at it in great detail yet, but if it is, that would be great!

I'm not joining the CAL now, though - I have tooooo many projects demanding my attention. And just this week I've acquired about 8 patterns! :lol If I keep hanging out at the ville, pretty soon I'll need a bigger pattern box! :lol

Happy Stitcher - yes, I'm doing my tablecloth ALL in one piece. I figure out the stitch so it's not a problem. Just do the second half upside-down. :lol If Kathy doesn't mind, I can post the upside-down part of the stitch here for you..

I'm up to row 109/206... getting there! (I'm supposed to be at 112 today).

Happy Stitcher - yes, I'm doing my tablecloth ALL in one piece. I figure out the stitch so it's not a problem. Just do the second half upside-down. :lol If Kathy doesn't mind, I can post the upside-down part of the stitch here for you..

Thank you for the offer, but there's really no need. I'm sure I can figure it out when the time comes. I really can't start it now. (although I keep looking at it....;) )

But thank you very much! :hug

Good job, Krystal! I'm still stringing beads. But I also have to get ready for the fall craft shows, so I'm making primitive (fabric) teddybears. I want to finish at least six by the end of the month.

Stringing is boring boring boring. I've been doing that instead of actually crocheting so I haven't picked up a hook in two days. It's a very strange feeling.

I am not sure if you have ever heard this, but the idea came with my daughter's bead stringing kit. It says to take the end of your string and paint it with clear nail polish. Then when it dries, it is hard and you can just put your beads directly on it. Not sure if it will work with the beads/thread you are using, or if a needle is better.

No, I had never heard of that, but what a great idea! I bought beading needles (actually very thin wire with an eye hole ... probably about three inches long). They only cost about $2 so no damage done. The problem I have with beading is finding the hole! I don't normally wear glasses for closeup work but it's still somewhat of a challenge.

No, I had never heard of that, but what a great idea! I bought beading needles (actually very thin wire with an eye hole ... probably about three inches long). They only cost about $2 so no damage done. The problem I have with beading is finding the hole! I don't normally wear glasses for closeup work but it's still somewhat of a challenge.

Birdlady, question on your beads. "are you doing only 1 color? or 2 colors?

If it's just 1 color, I might have a way to make it easier to find the hole. Many beaders, if its not a specific order of beads needed, will use a contraption to help w/ the stringing. A very simple 1 can be made VERY cheaply (you may have all the parts handy as is).

an empty margarine type cup (something wide enough for your hand to fit into a bit, and not TOO deep), hot glue gun, an X-acto knife, and a smallish dowel rod (or stick like thing).

w/ the X-acto knife, cut a very small X in the bottom of the cup. dont make it too large. f

rom the inside of the cup, poke the dowel rod, or similar item, through. be careful not to split the cup. push it slightly past the bottom, so its sort of like a kids spinning top effect.

now use the hot glue gun on BOTH the inside and outside of the cut, around the dowel rod. on the inside make sure to fill it in very well, so the beads you use can't get down into any creavices.

To use, hold the needle in the cup and use the upper part of the dowel to spin it around...... the beads will sort of string themselves and save your eyes :)

hope this helps you (or maybe someone else can use the idea also).

Sandy

Wow! Thanks, Sandy. I'm working with multicolored beads in different shapes so your suggestion won't work for me I don't think. I hope someone else will pick up on your advice, however!

This will be my first and last beaded project of this magnitude. Some things just are not meant to be!

Hi.........

I'm sorry I am not keeping up with writing, but I am plugging away on the shawl. I am ready to look for the beads, though I have some rows to get through first. I don't want to go downtown, but I found out that there is a bead store nearby, and will check it out next week.

I'm pleased to see that so many of you are nearly finished. Can't wait to see photos.

I am pleased with my colors, and already have plans for more. It is tedious, but compelling, isn't it?

When can we get the 'ramblin' rose' pattern?

Zuzu:cat :dog

I am not sure if you have ever heard this, but the idea came with my daughter's bead stringing kit. It says to take the end of your string and paint it with clear nail polish. Then when it dries, it is hard and you can just put your beads directly on it. Not sure if it will work with the beads/thread you are using, or if a needle is better.

On a lot of fibers, fray-check works, too!

I use that sometimes.

I've never tried the self-stringing contraption, but it sounds interesting!

Well I had to log on just to let everyone know I've finished stringing the beads! There are six vials of 24 gram number six beads. I'll die if it's not enough! Maybe tomorrow I'll start the edging or leave it for Sunday when I'll probably be stuck in the house because of bad weather (snow).

Ellen, I had 85 degree weather yesterday. Snow is just NOT even in my mind... but I'm sure it will be soon!

We're only a week away from that horrible snow and ice storm we had last year that took everyone's power out for WEEKS and killed nearly half of the trees in Buffalo. We got 3 feet of snow in 24 hours, and all the leaves were still on the trees. The leaves just served as a perch for all that snow and the weight of the snow just took all the branches down. :(

As for my tablecloth, I have to take pictures today. I'm at row 115... :D You can visibly see the decreases now!

Well we had 84 degrees on Friday but the high will be in the 50s on Sunday with temps going down to freezing (32 degrees) at night. They're not predicting a "shoveling" type of snow; it'll be rain mixed with snow in Denver but the mountains will have all snow. But that's okay as the ski resorts will start to open in about one week!

I remember the Buffalo storm of last year! But you guys get hit badly every year. I remember wanting to drive to Toronto in mid-October but I never got past Syracuse because a snowstorm shut down the interstate into Buffalo and beyond.

Anyway I started beading this morning. I'm doing two beads instead of three since my beads are a bit larger. Also, since I crochet backwards (in addition to being a lefty), I need to have the RIGHT side of the shawl facing me in order to have the beads on that RIGHT side. I've only done about three inches but I may frog it and start again using a larger hook. It seems to be bunching up a little more than I'd like. Either that, or I'll skip every other stitch. I need to fool around with it a little more.

I just loosened up my stitches gauge so I didn't have to use a larger hook. You need to manipulate the beads a little so they fall towards the front of the piece. But I'm starting to get the hang of it. Here's a photo of part of what I've done so far. The colors are more accurate than they have been in past photos.

beading.jpg

Archived