Katchkan's Viceroy Shawl CAL

Krystal16

OK, ran out of thread yesterday. Now to just sit and wait...

I guess I'll have to be patient, jus

Oh-oh, I'm keeping my fingers and eyes crossed that you don't have to wait too long!

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just ironed mine with steam. Worked great!

Thanks! Would you just put it on the bed, smooth it out, and then steam (not press)? What about actually pressing? Would the metallic thread be ok? Would you pin in in place? I usually just wet a piece and spread it out, but I have been reading about steaming.

I would have to put towels , and ....find the iron from where it has been dwelling in the nether regions!!:heehee

Well guys I started the final row this morning. :wooI found an error in row 103 but I'm not about to frog it. So now I have to start the task of finding beads and learning how to bead crochet. I'll probably go over to the Crochet Classroom (http://crochet101.forumotion.com/index.htm?sid=c3c46675375c1666896048d5897f1807) to learn but will certainly share my experiences here.

Krystal, have you received the thread yet? :yarn Are you going to be using beads on your tablecloth?

How's everyone else doing???

My thread came yesterday... a HUGE box for 8 spools of thread. Makes me wonder if their shipping would have been less had they used a padded envelope!

I haven't gotten back to it yet. Will do so later today after I pay my bills. :yuck

I am not going to do the beads. I think I will just sl st all the way around to form a nice little edge. Unless Kathy has any other suggestions?

Doing the beads are really easy. The hardest part is stringing them...... You'll do fine. You know I will walk you through it if you need it.

Thank you, Kathy. I *know* you'll be there if I need you.

My thread came yesterday... a HUGE box for 8 spools of thread. Makes me wonder if their shipping would have been less had they used a padded envelope!

I am not going to do the beads. I think I will just sl st all the way around to form a nice little edge. Unless Kathy has any other suggestions?

Well just consider the excess shipping charges as a small price to pay for your sanity. If you didn't find the thread, you'd be pulling your hair out by now.

I'll be interested to read Kathy's suggestions for finishing if you're not using beads (which really wouldn't be practical for a tablecloth!) I think I'll go shopping for beads this afternoon....

Okay, folks. I spent the afternoon looking for #8 seed beads and came up empty. I hit Joann's, Michael's and Hobby Lobby as well as a speciality bead store (the snob doesn't carry seed or bugle beads.... excuse me!)

There were a few #8 seed bead packets but not of the quality or color I was hoping to find.

So who can suggest a good online site with reasonable prices?

Kathy, can #6 beads be used or are they really too large? Where do you buy yours?

All help is much appreciated!

Okay, folks. I spent the afternoon looking for #8 seed beads and came up empty. I hit Joann's, Michael's and Hobby Lobby as well as a speciality bead store (the snob doesn't carry seed or bugle beads.... excuse me!)

There were a few #8 seed bead packets but not of the quality or color I was hoping to find.

So who can suggest a good online site with reasonable prices?

Kathy, can #6 beads be used or are they really too large? Where do you buy yours?

All help is much appreciated!

Yes you can use the size 6 beads. I know one other person ended up using them as they couldn't get hold of the size 8 beads. What color are you envisioning? I could check my stash.

I couldn't find any at the chain stores and I found a great bead store while out of state and they had a lot of them. For a mail order source, try searching for Fire Mountain Gems, they do carry them.

I know your frustration.:eek

Yes you can use the size 6 beads. I know one other person ended up using them as they couldn't get hold of the size 8 beads. What color are you envisioning? I could check my stash.

Honestly I wasn't thrilled with the size 6 beads I saw either but there were a lot more of them available.

Color-wise, I was thinking of the same dusty rose (called wood violet on the Aunt Lydia's package). I saw some beads that were a combination of that violet and blue. Very pretty. But they were size 6 and there weren't enough packages to meet the pattern requirements.

You don't have to check your stash. Somehow, somewhere I'll find what grabs me. But thanks!

:think This one is for Kathy to answer.. I have NO idea! I saw some TUBES of seed beads in Wal-mart once, some pearlescent ones, etc. I didn't look to see the size of them, though... Maybe there?

I've made two visits to Wal-Mart this week so I'm Walmarted out for at least the rest of the month. I'm going to check Helen's online suggestion and even look at eBay. But it's one of those things that you have to see in person I think.

I couldn't find any at the chain stores and I found a great bead store while out of state and they had a lot of them. For a mail order source, try searching for Fire Mountain Gems, they do carry them.

I know your frustration.:eek

Thanks, Helen. I'm not frustrated ... yet. But I was surprised that I didn't find anything I liked. I thought it would be an easy shopping trip. I'll look at Fire Mountain Gems but I really think it's one of those purchases that I want to see in person.....

Well I found the beads I'll be using! They're size six and I only got three 24-gram vials. So I'm going back to Joann's Superstore at the other end of town for a few more. I'd rather have an excess and be able to return them, than to face a predictament similar to what Krystal went through!

I'll post a photo later ... of the thread I've been using alongside the Czech glass beads. They're multicolored in shades of purple and pink. They match perfectly I think!

P.S. Just out of curiosity, I looked for the metallic thread that Krystal wanted and they didn't have it. All of their Coats and Clark thread has been changed and renumbered!

Way to go Ellen, I really like the match, even if it is pinker than it should be. I know I'm behind on posting a photo, but tomorrow for sure. All this time away from home leaves a mountain of things to do :eek when I'm back!

Well I just finished row 104 and ended! Now the fun part begins -- stringing the beads. Kathy, please don't leave your computer for the next 48 hours!:P

Helen, when I said it was pinker than in real life, I meant the photo I posted was pinker. The thread and the beads are more purple.

Well I just finished row 104 and ended! Now the fun part begins -- stringing the beads. Kathy, please don't leave your computer for the next 48 hours!:P

Helen, when I said it was pinker than in real life, I meant the photo I posted was pinker. The thread and the beads are more purple.

The beads look wonderful.

I will check back as often as I can, just in case you need me. You should be fine though.

I started stringing this morning. Yikes! What a chore! Fortunately I bought some beading needles (actually very thin wire with a larger hole at the end that collapses as it passes through the bead hole). It makes it a LOT easier. However here are my million dollar questions of the day:

I am using number six beads, which are larger than what the pattern calls for (vs number eight beads). Should I still string 2,900 beads so that 3bsc will be completed in each ETR or will I use fewer beads (e.g., 2bsc)?

(I assume the instructions are meant to say ETRs rather than EDC?)

TIA, Ellen

Archived