Katchkan's Viceroy Shawl CAL

Krystal16

I actually *DID* do that, and I remembered Mark Wahlberg fits the bill for me, but I couldn't find any pictures of him other than with his little boy band, and that's not the image I was going for - I remember him in some movie but can't remember the name of it... ;)

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, back, to butterflies: I have a question about the top edging. I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway. Should each cluster fall in the middle of block? :think Also, I'm not crazy about the TR stitch; can I substitute the DC instead?

I've frogged this a couple of times but I figured it was time to ask. TIA, Ellen

Okay, back, to butterflies: I have a question about the top edging. I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway. Should each cluster fall in the middle of block? :think Also, I'm not crazy about the TR stitch; can I substitute the DC instead?

I've frogged this a couple of times but I figured it was time to ask. TIA, Ellen

The center of a cluster fan will be in the middle of a block. There are 2 full blocks between each one. plus the half block on each side of it. 3 blocks total.

The tr st is used because it is long enough, I used that so it would not pucker when done. The dc is too short and your shawl would bunch up.

I"m working on the top edge row, which is all scallops. I've frogged it about five times (but hadn't gotten very far). It's slow-going because it's done in a triple stitch, which is my least favorite stitch.

It's on the back burner anyway because I'm making fabric primitive bears for a toy show in two weeks.

How's everyone else doing?

hello everyone.......

I know I have been too preoccupied to write much..... (but thinking about it)

I have only 3 rows to go...

I may get myself to set out today to look at the bead store for ideas for the edging. I'm afraid that my wrist hurts from some compulsive crocheting while recovering from illness, so I may have to wait to finish.

I'm still uncertain how to block. I guess I will try to pin it to the bed, atop some towels, and then , as per your advice, Krystal, I will dig up the iron.

Will I need to pin it? It really is quite 'bunchy'..........

Zuzu

:lol Ellen, I'm not sure you'd REALLY say that!!! If you did, I think you'd be the FIRST person ever to say it! LOL!

Thanks, it is really coming along I think. :D

You're right. I don't want grandchildren. :P But I want your tablecloth!

ZuZu - I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner.

I just used my ironing board. I laid a part out, smoothed it with my hand, then I ironed it a few times (gently, making sure the point of the iron didn't stick in the filet!) directly. Then I moved it and started over.

th_1019viceroy.jpg

Here's my progress to date!

ZuZu - I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner.

I just used my ironing board. I laid a part out, smoothed it with my hand, then I ironed it a few times (gently, making sure the point of the iron didn't stick in the filet!) directly. Then I moved it and started over.

th_1019viceroy.jpg

Here's my progress to date!

Thank you, Krystal! I don't know why this is so confusing...... I have been blocking in a certain way for so long, but I

Sorry, I must have hit something by mistake.

I have been reading in Couture Crochet(from library) about steaming and 'killing'.........I have always blocked in a certain way (wetting, spreading out), but I must say that I am not always satisfied with the results......So this method is new, and fascinating (read about Chin 'killing' fabric)

I don't even have an ironing board!!! But I will spread it out on the bed. (currently no animals to nestle on it ....:sigh :dog :cat )

I think I will have to stretch it out, as the crocheting is a bit tight.

I went to a bead shop with no results, so I may settle for some beads, or no beads, or I may sew them on. I have finished everything but the edging.

I will look again, but I don't want to go downtown, so I will settle.

I found some size 6 beads that are an appropriate color, and may get enough.

I love the color combination.

My shawl is the very palest pink, a bit muted, with metallic thread that is variegated with pink, turquoise, and gold. Sounds gaudy, but the colors are quite pale, and they blend in, looking like butterfly wings, with the shimmer of different iridescent tones. I don't have a digital camera yet, alas.

Now what to work on next!

Zuzu

I am not a part of this CAL, so forgive me for butting in here, but... ZuZu, I have successfully "killed" acrylic before. It makes the loveliest, most drapeable fabric. I knitted a large shawl last winter and spent a good hour one evening hovering a steam iron over it and pressing the Whoosh Button (don't know what it is really called). My husband came in to see what the strange noise was, LOL. The shawl is beautiful and doesn't have the springiness acrylic usually does.

Now that I have:

1. Butted into a CAL I am not a member of, and

2. Totally hijacked a very nice thread

I will gently back out of this room and go hide.

:2blush

Carla,

There is no "butting in" to a CAL - all are welcome to come and participate as they please. I agree with you, acrylic should NEVER be ironed! Even steaming it too much can make it melt.

The Viceroy, however is made with cotton thread and is completely ironable. :D

Yes, I realize ZuZu's shawl is cotton, but she began talking about killing acrylic and I just chimed in.

On your main topic (ahem), may I say that these shawls and tablecloths are lovely? Wonderful jobs, ladies! Kathy did a great job designing it and I'm so impressed that several of you are pulling thread off for the first time! VERY nice!

Hello everyone....

I haven't written much, but I have enjoyed seeing what others are doing, and I am sorry I haven't said how lovely the other work is. And GranCarla...it is so wonderful that we can talk with each other regardless of whether we are making a particular thing ! :manyheart

Krystal, you are amazing making this into a tablecloth!

My neighbor told me about another bead shop that is not far, so I will make an effort when I can. There are wonderful bead shops downtown, but I'm just not up to going out there.

I do plan to get a digital camera eventually, but don't relish working through those huge manuals! I haven't even hooked up a printer, as the instructions are so very lengthy, and daunting!

When I finish the shawl, I will try to get someone to photograph it.

As an aside, I am feeding a lovely little squirrel who comes every day, and now his little paw seems hurt. I don't really know what to do. (he is a wild animal, and I haven't gotten close to him) He seems able to climb, so maybe it is not bad, but it seems to just hang there. I know that nearly everyone here loves animals! (and I do so love to see the pix of the animals!)

Heat wave here, and bad fires. Very sad........everyone scurrying to get the animals out.

love to everyone...

Zuzu :rabbit :dog :cat:mouse :ladybug

PS.....

I showed the shawl to a neighbor yesterday, and she was so impressed with the beauty of the design........ I told her that all of Kathy's designs are amazing, and that I can't wait to make the next shawl........(and where to put all these shawls!!!!):hook

She said it was so elegant and delicate.:D:c9

• 2 weeks later...

Archived