Annies Hooked on Crochet

siminsc

The issue pictured caught my eye when I saw SCRAP AFGHAN. That is my closet's motto! It is full of scrap yarns and yarns and yarns...... Needless to say, I already signed up for the free issue!

Debbie

• 4 weeks later...

I received the first issue today - not overly impressed. Does have some good patterns. But, all they did was combine two magazines into one and DID NOT make it any bigger (more pages). At least it appears they got my subscriptions expiration date correct. Will have to give it another issue or two and see if it gets better.

Help......I'm totally confused - which 2 mags. did they combine to create this one?? My June 2007 issue of "Hooked On Crochet!" every mag. seems to have an exclamation point these days - isn't titled "Annie's Hooked On Crochet" - so of course it must be a different mag. than the one above but probably published by the same company that puts the one above out, DRG?? Brenda Stratton is the editor of the one I get "Hooked On Crochet!".

Thanks - Louise

Help......I'm totally confused - which 2 mags. did they combine to create this one??
Hooked on Crochet! and Annie's Favorite Crochet have merged to make Annie's Hooked on Crochet.

June 2007 is/was the last issue for each individual magazine. August 2007 is the first issue of the merged magazine.

I hope that helps you.

:)

I got my issue in the mail today and like luckybmr, I am not impressed with it at all. You would think that by combining the 2 magazines, there would be more patterns and at least something new/exciting. Nothing! It's the same size (46 pages) as either of them individually. I really liked both magazines individually. There was always at least one pattern I would try but not in this combined issue. To get an idea, here's a listing of the patterns:

1. western inspired jacket - more like a buttoned sweater with fringe (I think either e-patterns or freepatterns has the same pattern. I know I've seen it somewhere)

2. Scarecrow & pumpkins (with crows) - again I know I've seen this pattern before)

3. Fireside Slouch Socks - nothing new here...made with LB's Homespun

4. Priceless Peridot - lacy filet doily in a lime green...didn't strike me as something I would do & I love filet crochet....it's square!

5. ABS Rug - the only different & cute thing in the entire issue - uses anchor stitches...rug with ABCs on it.

6. Baby Romber set with cap - yellow with ducks

7. Floral coasters - looks more like a geometric than a flower

8. Retro Modern - afghan with flowers - good for scraps

9. Sunflower Bouguet - potholder

That's it. Lots of ads, too. I won't resubscribe to this publication. It's a big disappointment.

JMHO

I'm patiently waiting for my copy. It will be interesting to see how they merged. I've been a Hooked on Crochet subscriber for years. I am hoping they keep the good things from HOC and add more fun projects like from Annies Fav. crochet. We will see.

:manyheart

I actually subscribed to the new version so hopefully I'll be getting mine soon, too.

You can see most/all the projects here:

http://www.annieshookedoncrochet.com/inthisissue.html

I don't expect much because I didn't buy either magazine all the time before. I just have a hard time finding it. I have to drive one hour away to Books a Million because they seem to the only place to carry have those magazines. Even then it wasn't always there. I guess they only carried about five issues. lol

Since they merged it kind of made it worth it to subscribe to the one rather than two. I usually don't subscribe since I don't want every issue.

The current issue has the cure baby romper that makes it worth getting even though it's free on their site right now.

;)

Empress, you generously pointed us to their website where they have a weekly free pattern. Do you know what day of the week they update the site? It seems the beach coverup has been there for several weeks already!

I too subscribed to both and had hoped the merger would offer a larger (more patterns) version. I am disappointed with this issue. I didn't really see any "unique" designs and hope future issues will be more creative. Although they did extend my subscription to encompass both prior "scripts", given the rather dull contents it may prove to be an UNINSPIRED couple of years. Let's hold a good thought that the contents improve.

I got my copy yesterday and I like it. Both magazines, I found, had a lot of ads in them. I have seen several patterns I liked, and am putting them on my list to make.

The scarecrow and pumpkins are just to cute. I also like the potholder made with thread. It is the sunflower bouguet. Very pretty.

I say give them a chance, this is the first issue under the new name.

They did combine the two subscriptions I had, so I am good to go for quite a while.

I like it and hope I will be happy with the future issues.:hook

Has anyone received the Aug. 07 issue?? You girls have mentioned getting issues but I don't know if you've all gotten the same one or if it's the latest issue or the Aug. 07 issue?? Lots of times mags. won't send the very latest issue to new subscribers so I'm wondering. Thanks.

they had a little of everything. Afghan, western style sweater with fringes, baby outfit, scarecrow and pumpkins, couple of doilies. Hope you get your issue soon!

Nothing interesting or has been on AA as a free pattern. (Example Just Ducky out fit was a couple of weeks ago).

I disagree and you're slightly wrong about the AA pattern. The Ducky onsie is on this magazines site currently, not on AA pattern a day.

Almost all the crochet magazines give a pattern a month out for free on their site.

As for interesting, I agree everyone has different tastes.

I personally think the socks look like a good pattern for someone like me with cold feet.

The ABCs rug is great for several children in my life and soon to be born.

I'm not a doily maker but the Priceless Peridot is made by our own Kathy and I've been wanting the pattern since she came up with it a year or so ago.

The magazine might not be great this issue but maybe you'll find something next time. Like I said, I never bought every single one of the previous two but I did find an issue a couple times of year that I had to have.

I got my copy today. I forgot that I had a subscription. I guess that tells you how unimpressed I usually am with the contents.

There is a money-back guarantee if you're unhappy (full subscription price refunded). But my luck, it'll have the best pattern in the world in the next issue, so I'll just let it run out on its own.

Yup, if you look at the URL:

http:// www. annies hooked on crochet .com /webbonuses/pdfs/AHOC_JustDucky.pdf

you'll see that comes from the magazine site as I stated. In fact I posted it earlier this week. Like I said, most magaiznes give a free pattern per issue away on their website.

AA (Annie's Attic) free pattern a day site is:

http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/index.html

They are owned by the same company but they're still two different things.

I hope that clears it up for you.

It just depresses me that we have a net loss of one magazine. I always thought the two were interchangeable, but at least there were two of them.

Archived