Patterns in magazines

Hi all,

I'm still new to the craft, and have subscribed to a crochet magazine. I love getting it and seeing all the beautiful things that can be made. But ... I'd like to see a little more "how-to" content (particularly for wearables).

Instead just the straight pattern and a picture of the finished object, how about some in-process shots, so you know what it's supposed to look like at certain steps of the process, more charts for pattern pieces, and more description of how to get there.

I can read a pattern and understand what it's telling me to do, but sometimes I don't quite understand how steps A and B produce project C.

How do other feel about this?

Personally, I avoid "how-to" publications, because I figure if I don't understand how to do something, I"ll look it up for free online. EVERYTHING is online. I want "just the pattern, Ma'am" unless it's something VERY specific to that particular pattern.

Same here. I look in mags & books for just straight up patterns. I want more pattern and less filler. :hook If I was seeking good how-to info, though, there are many good books that have it. A lot of them detail the stitches that they use in the patterns in their book.

I am not a new crocheter (started over 30 years ago but stopped for a while) and I agree with you Ambsax. Sometimes I can read a written pattern over and over and not understand how it fits together. Nice clear pictures of the finished product can be a real help but are often lacking, I think. If I can't clearly visualize the finished item, I won't be interested in it. And charts are great! Also like to see a schematic of the shape and dimensions of the pieces. How-tos for different stitches and techniques are great, too, even if not related to a specific pattern.

I like to look up things online and there is some really good stuff out there, but there are things that I can only find in print.

To what magazine did you subscribe, Ambsax? I just got a copy of Interweave Crochet and am thinking of subscribng--more for the how-to than the patterns.

you will probably be hard-pressed to find people that want a lot of instruction in their crochet magazines... i think it's sort of 'assumed' that the person making the pattern will look at the recommendation (easy, medium, advanced) and do something within their ability or ask another crocheter for help, or seek instruction elsewhere.

it really can be tricky to see how the instructions for A and then B could possibly get you to finished item C:think but i've found that if i really pay attention to what the pattern is asking me to do and then invision where the specific part i'm making fits into the finished pattern, i can usually get past the hurdles.

there are many great tutorials on-line and if you'd prefer a book with some good basic instruction Stitch & Bitch Happy Hooker has a wonderful section at the begining. if you want some advanced instruction on garment design and fit i cannot recommend Lily Chin's book Couture Crochet highly enough - it is a GREAT book and i've learned so much from it... perhaps you could check one of these out from the library or look through it at your local book store to see if they might help you to make the items you love:manyheart

I have another great idea: if you are having trouble with a pattern, check first and see if there is a CAL, or ask for help in that forum, lots of ladies here are very happy to help you and sometimes a different way of wording it will do the trick for you.

Page space is at a premium in most magazines, and it seems like they prefer to present a pattern in as few pages as possible, so they can get as much advertising revenue as possible per issue while maximizing the amount of actual crochet content they can include.

Magazines are really not the best source for how-to information. Their purpose really isn't to teach you how to crochet. For that, your best best is to invest in one or two really good reference books that you can carry around with you or to find some favorite online reference sites.

Some magazines do have extra expanded content on their websites that they can't fit into the pages of the actual magazine. You may want to check the magazine's website to see if it provides the additional information you're looking for.

This is what I want out of my crochet magazines:

- More than 5 patterns (are you listening, Annie's Attic???)

- Schematics and measurements for garments

- Charts for stitches, if not the whole pattern. I know charting a whole pattern isn't always feasible, but I love the way Crochet Today! charts the stitches for you - it's so easy to find your place if you lose it while you are stitching.

- The stitch multiple of the project and/or instruction on how to resize. Again, I know they can't always print all the sizes, but us, ahem, well-endowed ladies like to wear cute stuff too, and I don't mind doing my own resizing, as long as I have a place to start.

- Good descriptions of the yarn used; again, Crochet Today! rocks at this; they include a picture of the actual yarn right on the page with the pattern.

- If I'm paying nearly $US8.00 for your magazine, please, please take the time to have the patterns tested. I do NOT want to have to print out seven pages of errata for each issue (Yes, I'm talking to you, Interweave Crochet!)

Personally, I don't buy magazines for the patterns. If I want a pattern, I'll either use one of my books, or the interent.

I like to see articles. Articles on fellow crocheters, designers. I like reviews of new products and books, and some how-to on techniques that aren't used regularly.

I have not followed a magazine pattern yet... I guess I just like buying them for the pictures! I have made some things from online patterns or from books I have purchased. I keep hoing that something from a magazine will jump out at me and say "try me!"

I'd like to see, instead of those line drawings of the component pieces of a garment, the actual pieces prior to assembly. For me, it makes it easier to see how the stitches at the edges or shaping are done. It's not always easy to tell from the finished garment picture. And I do agree on having more description on some of the more difficult areas of advanced projects. Some pattern writers have the most awful way of explaining what they are doing.

I very much enjoy looking through different crochet/knit magazines. The many designs, color combos, textures and new yarns available give me new ideas. Also, when I see a piece of work I like, I then check out that designer on line to see what else they may have to offer. For me it is simply a lot of fun to look through lovely patterns and finished work even if I know I personally wouldn't try out any of the patterns. Of course, I'm the same way with recipe magazines....I like to look through the recipes but rarely find something I'd really attempt to make (LOL)!!!!!

We don't get any crochet magazines here (India), but I always check the Interweave Crochet website because they always have some free patterns. Recently I started making a garment from one of their patterns, and was shocked to find mistakes. Perhaps I shouldn't complain because it was, after all, a free pattern, but shouldn't they have proofreaders?

I would like to see magazines with better websites. Very few of them are what they should be. Even Crochet Today could do better. Some things to put on the website:

I think a small message board where you can ask question if you're stuck and the designers and editors pop in to answer, yes I know they're busy but guess what? So am I.

While I agree that the patterns need tested better, I think all magazines need errata pages. Let's face it, testing or not, typos and such do happen.

If the magazine doesn't offer back issues, at least have a page that shows the back issue covers and the patterns so we know what to look for on eBay or thrift shops.

Schematics and things that don't fit in the magazine could be featured.

I'm sure there's more. :)

I think a combination would work well. I like mostly pattern type books, mags, etc., but sometimes when I get stuck, a close up of certain parts would be rather helpful, or even a graph.

Archived