Bed Rest Mommy

I have a really great friend at work - who told me today his wife is now on bed rest until August when their second daughter is expected to be born.

I wanted to go out this week and put together a baby basket themed for her bedrest.

I of course thought about sweet soft delicious yarns some pretty pink hooks and some tea that is low in caff and anything bad that may hurt the baby.

What else could you put in a bed rest basket for a mommy that is going to be bored out of her gourd?

Hmmm, puzzle books - Variety Puzzles is good and has lots of different kinds from crosswords to really easy word puzzles to Suduko.

Buy her a magazine subscription - check with your friend on what she might like. Don't get everything all about the baby. Given that she's on bedrest, reading baby and parenting magazines might not be the most relaxing thing. I know I had a high-risk pregnancy due to diabetes, and every time I read a baby magazine, any little thing they mentioned that might be a problem, I was convinced I had. And I wasn't even on bedrest!

Um, lets, see, what else...

Books, obviously. Maybe a crochet pattern book (I take it she does crochet already?) that has patterns for some afghans that she normally wouldn't have time to do?

If she has a laptop I suggest a version of Bejeweled....it's the most addictive game ever and you can pick it up pretty cheap at a store like best buy. Maybe a dvd set of her favorite tv show?

I did bedrest with two of my children and found it very hard to read books (reading is one of my favorite things). I got a couple of small cross-stitch kits and learned to do that to kill time. A book on tape or DVD might be appreciated. Anything to help the time pass is good, because you tend to very bored but also scared that every twinge might be premature labor.

I agree with getting her magazines.

Check if she likes games though. I personally hate magazine types and have never (and never will) played sudoku.

I second Bejeweled though. lol

Books. Novels, how to, bios, travel/places, etc. Anything you know or think she might like.

A DVD rental subscripton. I think Blockbuster has summer specials.

Lotions. A candle or two. Soft music CD you think or know she'll like. Maybe an eye mask, either the soothing kind or the sleep kind or both.

Nail kits. Polishes in several colors (look for formaldehyde free), cutical cream, etc.

Some really nice treats. If you look around, you can find sample size things for most anything like:

Hersheys Cacao Reserve Truffles (come in an Altoid like tin).

Lindor Truffles (can by them by the singles at a Lindt store or in bookstores).

Ferrero Rocher comes in little three packs, found everywhere.

Mon Cheri Ferrero Raffaello also comes in little three packs and found everywhere.

Choxie from Target, lots of flavors and sizes.

Chocolate covered graham crackers from Starbucks. Come in four packs.

As long as she doesn't have gestational diabetes, how about some candies? Maybe different types of craft kits, perhaps things she can make for the baby to come, as well as things she could make for other people (Mother's Day is Sunday!). I'd also get her things she could use to pamper herself, like some light-smelling lotions (don't get things that have over-powering smells, as many pregnant women have aversions to them!), nail polishes, perhaps a manicure/pedicure set...Maybe even a journal in which she could jot down things she wants her child to know when he or she gets older, or perhaps a good novel or two (Nicholas Sparks is good! ;) Though, I'd also send her some tissues to go with them!). If you get teas, try to stay away from fenugreek and raspberry leaves (some folks believe they induce early labor), and also mints (which aggravate any indigestion she may have, which is likely at her current stage of pregnancy). Cinnamon is good, as well as most herbals. Stay away from nuts since OB/GYNs tend to tell women not to eat them during pregnancy because it may cause the child to develop nut allergies. If you'd like to go all-out for her, perhaps a month or two worth of Blockbuster's Total Access could be in order, and her dh could get her the movies, or she can order them online to be sent to their residence.

HTH!

Why don't you offer to teach her to crochet so she can pass the time quicker? If she wants to learn, then put a learn to crochet book, some hooks and yarn in her basket. this would be the coolest gift ever!

Lorry

See if maybe she is interested in learning a new craft...spinning with a drop spindle, scrapbooking, knitting...ebay gift certificates, board games...and of course, someone to play them with!! beading...collapse is another great computer game...zoo tycoon or any tycoon game (addictive to all ages and really do take up alot of time...and mental energy!! Does she work outside of the home?? Anything that might make it easier to do that from the bedrest position...hmmm okay, im done! its such a great idea, and im sure shell love whatever you put together :)

Great Ideas!

I am so bad at gifts because once I start buying I cant stop until I spend all my rent money :eek

Anyway - she is a part time sub teacher primary FT mother !

I only know a little about her - but her and hubbie (my coworker) have only been in my area for a short time from Chicago. They have not met many new friends yet with some of the complications and she has only been able to work outside for a short time.

I want to let her know shes not alone and just give her some feels goods and also those little things to do and create so she wont go mind boggie!!

I really appreciate your wonderful ideas. I suck at gift baskets!!! lol

You mentioned yarns and hooks - sounds like she crochets? How about patterns for quick stuff that she can feel she acomplished things - baby hats, crocheted flowers, bibs, etc.

How about the makings for a scrap book - like a starter kit for babies first scrap book that she could maybe start decorating the pages, etc.

A nice journal that she could write to baby in - all about mommy staying in bed to keep him/her safe, etc.

If you like to cook - how about making up a few meals that can be frozen and sending them home with your co-worker. Or, if you maybe want to go and visit with her at some point - company she might love after being in bed alone all the time.

Your are great to think of them and do this - what a thoughtful person you are!

Since it sounds like she doesn't have a ton of friends locally, I think the best gift would be some visits - when she's up to them, of course.

Maybe you could go by and work on a baby blanket together - making squares, maybe?

Archived