Harry Potter Theme CAL

yarnyviolet

Gry. - red and gold (more like a burgundy color)

Syth. - green and silver

Rav.- blue and bronze ? (in the films, the colors are med blue and silver)

Huff.- yellow and black

I would go with these colors seeing as they are closer then what the books say. I would stick with the blue and bronze for Ravenclaw though. On Harry Potter Lexicon, Slytherin is the only house with silver.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the slipper and dishcloth ideas too.

as far as the colors go, I found at harry potter lexicon

gryfindor: scarlet and gold

hufflepuff: yellow and black

ravenclaw: blue and bronze

slytherin: green and silver

I think silver and bronze colored yarns are hard to find:yarn

for Slytherin, I have green but dont have silver. Any ideas for silver substitute?

naida:manyheart

naida (btw pretty name!) - IMHO, I will suggest light/med grey for silver and woody (medium brown/gold or light/medium brown) for bronze.

thank you! :) I like those color suggestions. I'm making a trip to the yarn shop this weekend.

naida

Ohhh, I completely forgot about this snitch square. I found it ages ago but didnt bookmark it. Hmmm, I think I find something that I can do for this CAL. Maybe the dishcloths with house colors as snitch and its wings ? I still can use the sky blue for background and white for the edging.

Rachel - you are correct. This CAL gave me so many ideas too! :lol

:blush ideas.... well if you need more I've thought of tons of ideas... :blush:yes

I was thinking I would love to make a pillow in the stripes of the colors. I think that would be so neat. Actually that would go great with the afghan posted on another post. Not sure what colors I want yet.... :think I really like Slytherin colors together, but not sure if I want those :lol ... tahlara thank you for the color substitue ideas!

Debbi

I finished one of the sleeves a day or two ago. I haven't woven in the ends yet.

May2007003.jpg

Some of the colours are only used once while others are used for a few different rows. Near the end I was worried I would run out of some of the colours so I used different colours to even out the amounts of yarn I used. I am quite happy with it. It is going to match nothing yet everything in my wardrobe if you know what I mean:lol . The sleeve is folded in half by the way so I could get it in a picture better.

Rachel

Rachel, that is SO awesome! I cannot WAIT to see the finished product! Everyone has scarves, but you'll really have something that will stand out at the HP events!

Well, I plugged through some more doggie scarves today:

newest1-04.jpg

Here Gretta (now in her summer 'do) models a book-inspired Ravenclaw, for a small mixed breed friend:

newest1-02.jpg

And here she models a POA-style Slytherin scarf for our large lab friend:

newest1-01.jpg

I'm making my nephew, who will be entering high school in the fall, a scarf but I don't know if he will wear it or not. I am going to give it to him for Christmas.

Thanks for the compliments. I already have the body done but I did it in a purple because it would fit in my wardrobe better than pink. I am half way done the second sleeve and hope to get it done in the next couple of days.

Your scarves are great!

Rachel

I just got the book (I knit too), and am deciding what to make...I like the book in general, but nothing is really calling out--I might use it as a jumping off point for a hp project. (I would make the mrs weasley, but I am 4 months pregnant--by the time I am done, it wont fit!

I finished one of the sleeves a day or two ago. I haven't woven in the ends yet.

May2007003.jpg

Some of the colours are only used once while others are used for a few different rows. Near the end I was worried I would run out of some of the colours so I used different colours to even out the amounts of yarn I used. I am quite happy with it. It is going to match nothing yet everything in my wardrobe if you know what I mean:lol . The sleeve is folded in half by the way so I could get it in a picture better.

Rachel

your molly sweater is coming along great!!!:yarn

naida

naida those look great!

I need to print out the snitch book mark pattern. I realized I hve the yarn left over form my pensieve. I'm thinking a ball and then the wings form that book mark pattern would make a real snitch and that would be cute. Maybe for dogs! Wtih the scarf! Could be cute.

Debbi

I have 2 1/2 rows left on my second sleeve. I hope to have it done by tonight. Then I can weave in ends, assemble it, and do the trim. I am looking forward to having it done. I think I need to do some smaller projects for the next while. I will post a picture when I finally have it done.

I love everyone's scarves and bookmarks.

Rachel

Naida, I think bookmarks are my next project. Well, after I finish another round of dog scarves. Those things have been SO popular! I think I'm going to use bookmarks as a platform to improve my dexterity with dpns and knit them, though. I've been knitting for awhile, but will almost always go out of my way to avoid the dpns. My Mom says they're not as scary as I make them...:)

I really can't wait to see the assembled Weasley sweater! It's going to be amazing, I just know it!

I need to go print out that snitch pattern as well. Quidditch, anyone :)?

I have finished the sleeve. The poor kids had wondered what had come over me as I was so determined to get that sleeve done. I hope to get the shoulder seams side seams done today. I really want it done by this weekend so I can work on some more projects. Do any of you get like that? Start a bunch of things and then just get sick of everything and start finishing everything all at once. I really should just do one or two things at a time. Just like I should just buy yarn for each specific project as I start them.....like THAT will ever happen!

Rachel

That's what happened to me this week. :lol I decide to do Van Gogh rug last night and completed it in three hours. It break me out of my funk. Now I have the sock and scarf to finish up. I have more WIPs waiting for me. At least, I feel better about it. :)

Archived